E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Carbon Wrapped Roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW M5 (Alpine White)

Just got this done yesterday afternoon by Don Nguyen. He's based out of Irvine, CA in Southern California. Awesome guy and great price. The whole thing took about 3 hours. First he went through standard procedure and method. Then he asked car specific questions on how/if I wanted to do the antenna fin and around the sunroof. I chose not to wrap the antenna because it would cause interference. To complicate things further, Don had said the wrap doesn't hold real well on it either. Second came the sunroof. There were two options - go over the molding and cut the vinyl sheet or tuck it into the molding. Tucking it will look better but because the rubber molding does move from the vibration of the the glass, the area around the sheet will scrunch up (photos below). Nonetheless we both agree this will still look better considering it's drawback.

Learn more of Don's Services per http://www.google.com/search?q=don+nguyen+vinyl&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=40I&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=don+nguyen+vinyl&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=4e781b66e30e329a
Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_01.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_02.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_03.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_04.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_06.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_07.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_08.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_09.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_10.jpg

Carbon Wrapped Roof-20100925_12.jpg
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

That looks awesome! Man he did a great job
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

Looks great. That's a Must Have Mod for white E60's. I always wondered how it look on mine!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by Bronze545i
Looks great. That's a Must Have Mod for white E60's. I always wondered how it look on mine!
Honestly, I think that CF wouldn't look all that bad on indianapolis red. it's dark enough of a shade of red that you can definitely get by with it
Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Contributors

Man I don't think there is anything sexier than the mods done to that White M5 right there. Perfect.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm considering doing the two mirrors and rear spoiler in matte black. Only thing is I need to figure out how to remove and reinstall the rear spoiler from the trunk lid. Does anyone have experience in this?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 - Silver Grey RPI Scoops RPI Block Off Plates BMC filters CF Delete KW V3 21" Interad DTM Headers Exhaust Radenergie Lip kit 40% Huperoptik Tint

Don't take this personally, anyone:

but

carbon vinyl is ridiculous IMO. yes, it looks great on your car because the roof looks black and brings the windshield and rear window together to make one big piece, BUT

it's not carbon fiber. you all know carbon fiber parts are just the actual carbon fiber and resin to make a stronger, lighter part. wrapping any part of you car (minus interior) to look like carbon fiber is like having a 530 with a full M5 kit. It's getting a little ridiculous with so many people wrapping their roofs or mirrors in "carbon wrap". it has no performance benefit, yes it may look somewhat decent but it doesn't do anything. If anything stick with black.
I'm not meaning to offend, or start an argument with anyone. Yes, "to each his own", but the carbon wrap is getting old fast

that being said

it does look great
Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by John Morgan Evans
it's not carbon fiber. you all know carbon fiber parts are just the actual carbon fiber and resin to make a stronger, lighter part. wrapping any part of you car (minus interior) to look like carbon fiber is like having a 530 with a full M5 kit.
Yes, I'm aware that the material is not carbon fiber. It is textured vinyl in a CF design/pattern. Is there a company that has production of "real deal"? If so I'd definitely consider it. For the person that designed my headers and exhaust is fully capable of doing taking on the project of a CF roof, the cost of it will mean R&D as well as the production unit. Something that is far too expensive to justify at this time.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by John Morgan Evans
Don't take this personally, anyone:

but

carbon vinyl is ridiculous IMO. yes, it looks great on your car because the roof looks black and brings the windshield and rear window together to make one big piece, BUT

it's not carbon fiber. you all know carbon fiber parts are just the actual carbon fiber and resin to make a stronger, lighter part. wrapping any part of you car (minus interior) to look like carbon fiber is like having a 530 with a full M5 kit. It's getting a little ridiculous with so many people wrapping their roofs or mirrors in "carbon wrap". it has no performance benefit, yes it may look somewhat decent but it doesn't do anything. If anything stick with black.
I'm not meaning to offend, or start an argument with anyone. Yes, "to each his own", but the carbon wrap is getting old fast

that being said

it does look great
And that is the point.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 - Silver Grey RPI Scoops RPI Block Off Plates BMC filters CF Delete KW V3 21" Interad DTM Headers Exhaust Radenergie Lip kit 40% Huperoptik Tint

I've considered buying a roof and making the mold and laying the carbon, if your friend made headers and exhaust im sure this would be an easy project for him. the only thing that might be a little difficult is making the mounting points for the roof, but other than that its just making the mold and laying the carbon. sorry i didnt mean to say that post as if you thought the wrap was real carbon, most if not all members here are pretty well educated
Originally Posted by trader-nas
Yes, I'm aware that the material is not carbon fiber. It is textured vinyl in a CF design/pattern. Is there a company that has production of "real deal"? If so I'd definitely consider it. For the person that designed my headers and exhaust is fully capable of doing taking on the project of a CF roof, the cost of it will mean R&D as well as the production unit. Something that is far too expensive to justify at this time.

Quick Reply: Carbon Wrapped Roof