E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Bad Day today :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='750154' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:02 PM
Well today was a bit of a downer. I was driving home from work, and i just pulled out of a junction, and as i pulled out and started to accelerate, the rear end gave way completely. I held the back end, and tried to get her back in again, but it was too late. The rear left wheel slammed straight into a kerb on the side of the road. I pulled straight over, and got out, checked the damage, and my heart sank. I had no idea why the car had spun out, as i use that junction every day, and it's a very grippy suface. Not to mention the fact that even though "M" mode was on, i was no more than quarter throttle! I swear down, i couldn't have been doing more than 15-20mph. But the momentum of the car spinning increases the impact i guess. I walked back to the junction, and noticed that there was a massive patch of green fluid, which i think is either power steering of brake fluid. Not sure which. And you could quite clearly see where my rear wheels had gone straight through it. I'm surprised i didn't notice it myself when i was pulling out.

Hopefully, the isn't too much damage. I think, after further inspection after it got recovered on a truck, that the only parts broken are wheel and tire (obviously), lower arm, and strut. The drive shaft looks to be in place still, and i can't imagine i've damaged the diff or axle.... Hope not!

Anyway, i'll let the pictures do the talking....

The wheel...

Wheel up close and minor bodywork damage, but nothing serious

The rest of the wheel

Cambered out slightly... (looks quite cool though!)

Everything underneath looks to be ok at first glance...
i just threw up....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

lawguy - Cheers mate. Yeah it was a very crappy day. Yeah luckily the repair job is only really replacement parts, so luckily it's not too bad. Yeah i guess the upside is that i have an M5! Haha!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

so jon, what are you driving while your beast is being repaired? hope you are not apart from her for too long
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Hi Gene.

Well i initially hired a car out for a laugh. Hired a Land Rover Defender and went to do a bit of off roading in it. We have a lot of legal off roading not too far away from where i live. Was a good laugh. Then i got sick and tired of the lack of luxury, and i'm now using one of my company's company cars. It's a 2008 525D M Sport in Carbon Black with Black interior. Nice to be back in an E60!! And i have to admit, the 2.5TD is an impressive engine!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='754062' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Gene.

Well i initially hired a car out for a laugh. Hired a Land Rover Defender and went to do a bit of off roading in it. We have a lot of legal off roading not too far away from where i live. Was a good laugh. Then i got sick and tired of the lack of luxury, and i'm now using one of my company's company cars. It's a 2008 525D M Sport in Carbon Black with Black interior. Nice to be back in an E60!! And i have to admit, the 2.5TD is an impressive engine!

"legal off roading" Sounds fun...

Not sure if that's good or bad that you are in an e60 again...especially a non-M model...glad to see you are pleased with it tho... Do some mods t hold you over, perhaps a sprint booster j/k
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

Haha!! Yeah it's a shame it's not an M5, but this one does have the M Sport Package so it's still nice to drive.

I'll put some photo's up of the "legal off roading" in a minute!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

ouch dude - that sucks
when u getting her back ?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I got a pukka Landrover Discovery offroad , good fun eh Jon

When you getting the car back mate ???

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

holy shit

i am so sorry bro
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Should have her back next week Adam!! Did you get my email reply the other day buddy by the way?

Mark, as above, and also mate... DAMN that Discovery is the nuts!! Where were you off roading? I need to buy myself a 4x4 for a bit of fun i think!!

southgate, thanks mate! Have her back soon though!

Quick Reply: Bad Day today :(