E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

After 2 years of Ownership, and a new experience.. my thoughts on the

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted to post this for a while, and just haven?t had the time. But here are my thoughts about the almighty beast.

Over the past 2 years I have put upwards of 30,000kms (18,600mi) on my M5. I took my time getting used to the car, to fully understand its capabilities, mainly because i was scared shitless of putting the 507hp beast into a wall, or sliding into a curb. There is a BIG difference between 400hp and 507... As im sure all you M5 owners can attest. I now can comfortably say that I am fully aware of the cars abilities, and can control the car very well under almost any circumstance (rain, sleet, dry, sliding, spinning, etc), and I have gone through 2 sets of tires to prove it . One thing I have always been concerned about is beating on the car too much, I feel I take pristine care of the M5, and am always cautious about being too hard on the diff, tranny, engine etc. Let me tell you.. This car has really proven itself worthy of the reputation it holds. My car has been a rock, no issues with any drive train or major components (knock on wood) and hasn?t given much grief at all. The car is as solid as it gets on the road and the track, even at high speeds. I love the way it feels when in complete traction, and when loose. It really is an easy car to control when sliding and drifting, once familiar with its capabilities. I am completely happy with my M5. And being 6'8".. I love that i can sit comfortably in the car, and have 3 passengers sit in comfort.

Now.. on the other hand.. Yesterday I was invited to a Porsche Track Day by a friend who is an instructor for Porsche NA. The cars that were driven: (all 2010/2011's) 911 Carrera 4S (MT), 911 Carrera 4 Convertible (PKD), Cayman S (PKD), Cayenne Turbo (PKD), Cayenne, Panamara Turbo (PKD) and a Boxster S (PKD). LET ME TELL YOU.... Once I drove the 911 Carrera 4S MT, I was hooked!! What a sound, what a feel!! AND UNLIMITED LAUNCH CONTROL with NO warranty ramifications!!!!! WHATTT!!! I want one.. Better yet, I want a 911 Turbo. Once i got back into the M5 I felt how much quicker it was, and for a 4 door, that is DAMN impressive! I did FEEL the difference in speed between the 4S and the M5. M5 is quicker for sure. After driving the M5 vs the Panamara Turbo, although a RIDICULOUS amount of legroom, and just as fast, i would take the M5 over the Panamara ALL DAY.

As for my new addiction to the Porsche, these cars are INSANE! I am going to research a trade in for a used 911 Turbo, as my Beast being a 06' I think its Value will start depreciating more very soon. On a closing note, the M5 is a SOLID car, and one of the best cars ever made in my eyes.

I still look out to the driveway and see that Beautiful Black Beast sitting there, and it gives me the chills having been fortunate enough to own one of these fine automobiles at my age.

Aartsy Out.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

get a 997 tt
Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

997TT is defintely my next.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

My aunt has had a Panamera S loaner for the past few days and I've been driving it around, while I must say that the interior of the Panamera is without a doubt better than ours, the driving experience comes nowhere close. The M5 is just so much more fun to drive and you really feel the road, in the panamera you feel slightly isolated and the steering is a bit on the soft side...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Members

Sell me your car if you decide to go with a 911 Turbo .
Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I test drove a 997 C4S 6MT with Sport Chrono and PASM a while back, and was similarly hooked immediately. All controls took much more effort (clutch, shifter, steering) than my 545i 6MT, but it was definitely more engaging and satisfying. Have been scouring CPO Porsche's on the net every since!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Lotus Elise, 2008 MB GL (soccer mom lift), S55 AMG

Drive a Lotus and it's Game Over! Better than a P car on track I daresay.
Keep the beast and just add a lotus to your stable!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: M5

997TT PDK is all I gotta say. If your pockets are deep, do the dirty deed and get the P-car or else keep the M5.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

997tt gets my vote!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Members

You will love bumping the Redline on the 997TT. I hit it all the time. The need to shift into 2nd gear arrives very quickly and it takes time to get used to not bumping the redline. I always believed the a true sports car deserves a manual but with the 7-speed SMG and the PDK I would have to eat my words on that. I know many have said that the SMG tranmission is rough but it seems those are the same people that do not lift up at shift points.

The PDK is an amazing piece of technology and it makes the 997TT even more joyous to drive. I first drove the PDK in the Panamera and was very impressed and the 997TT was even more impressive.

I think the best buy is the PDK 911 GTS for 100K. I love the new paddle shifters they implemented. The car is quicker than 4.4 secs. I believe its below 4 or right at 4. This has been said of the PDK 911 C2S as well.

Unless the new F10 M5 comes out with a bolder look and better stance I think the E60 M5 is a better looking car. It took me a while to like it. In 08 with the minor updates it changed my opinion. Minor as they were it was big in my eyes.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: After 2 years of Ownership, and a new experience.. my thoughts on the