E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

30 minutes behind the wheel....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... isn't enough

Today i spent 30 minutes behind the wheel of a shiny new M5.... 100 miles on the clock. limited to 6k rpm (another 2.5K to go ) as it was being run in.

Roads were reasonably free running but not a massive amount of space to mess around.

Steering... quick and nimble. Loads of feel... similar to my 530i (obviously) but it didn't dive into a corner.... no body roll at all. It would still wash out of the corner if you tried to push it.

Ride... firm but not jaw jarring... i'd imagine it'd be the same as mine on a long journey. Oddly there was less road noise than in my 5.

Now the good bits.

Engine.... Even at 6K it's starting to howl and it gets there so fooking fast. Pulled strong and hard from 2K and stepped up a level at about 4.5K / 5K. Astounding. Did i mention the howl?

SMG .... I always wondered if i'd really want one in a 5. Yes. Yes i do. From 5th to 2nd hard on the brakes have that engine do all the right blipping and you knowing you can just put your foot down and scream off again..... *and relax* Auto mode isn't as good as a real auto but it's good enough Oh and if you turn off the traction control the SMG system gives you the option of "look i'm going to change gear as fast as i fking can... it'll hurt your neck but fking live with it" mode.

Brakes.... didn't really get to test them but they're a sit load better than the 330 i'm in now

Funky extras.... Heads up display.. Very cool and handy. If it wasn't for the speed reading you can see all the time you'd be braking the law far too often. Put the HUD into M mode and you get a very cool rev counter. I wouldn't have the rev counter for normal use but track / fun driving it's

Side bolsters... gimictastic. They pump them selves up when going around roundabouts / corners.... even pumped themsleves up going round a curve on the A34 at *cough*mph Interestingly i turned them off and missed them so maybe they're not such a daft idea.

In summary.... i want another go On a circuit.

Did i mention the howl?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I agree--the inflating side bolsters are not a daft idea. I had them on my E55 and loved them. In my mind, they're analogous to the active sway bars in active roll stabilization--nice, comfortable ride on the straights, but stiffen up and hold you in the seat when cornering hard. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Great review Baron. One question -- did it have a howl?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 26 2005, 02:13 PM
Great review Baron.? One question -- did it have a howl?
[snapback]133476[/snapback]

Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Wow.. I need to arrange a testdrive too.. This is one awesome car..

I only wonder how the engine sounds?? Does it howl a bit Baron??
Old 05-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Baron' date='May 26 2005, 07:49 PM
than the 330 i'm in now

[snapback]133470[/snapback]
I should point out that this was the loaner i'm in whilst the 530 gets "fixed"

Now about this howling.....
Old 05-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

I need a test drive aswell. The problem is that i will probably like it soo much that i will deposit down for it.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I downloaded the tiff needle testdrive from 5th gear last night... It is amazing!!! This car howls ass!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Check out what Tiff currently drives:
http://www.five.tv/accessibility/programme...ear/presenters/

Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Baron' date='May 27 2005, 02:49 AM
... isn't enough?

Today i spent 30 minutes behind the wheel of a shiny new M5.... 100 miles on the clock. limited to 6k rpm (another 2.5K to go ) as it was being run in.

Roads were reasonably free running but not a massive amount of space to mess around.

Steering... quick and nimble. Loads of feel... similar to my 530i (obviously) but it didn't dive into a corner.... no body roll at all. It would still wash out of the corner if you tried to push it.

Ride... firm but not jaw jarring... i'd imagine it'd be the same as mine on a long journey. Oddly there was less road noise than in my 5.

Now the good bits.

Engine....? Even at 6K it's starting to howl and it gets there so fooking fast. Pulled strong and hard from 2K and stepped up a level at about 4.5K / 5K. Astounding. Did i mention the howl??

SMG .... I always wondered if i'd really want one in a 5. Yes. Yes i do. From 5th to 2nd hard on the brakes have that engine do all the right blipping and you knowing you can just put your foot down and scream off again..... *and relax* Auto mode isn't as good as a real auto but it's good enough? Oh and if you turn off the traction control the SMG system gives you the option of "look i'm going to change gear as fast as i fking can... it'll hurt your neck but fking live with it" mode.

Brakes.... didn't really get to test them but they're a sit load better than the 330 i'm in now

Funky extras.... Heads up display.. Very cool and handy. If it wasn't for the speed reading you can see all the time you'd be braking the law far too often. Put the HUD into M mode and you get a very cool rev counter. I wouldn't have the rev counter for normal use but track / fun driving it's

Side bolsters... gimictastic. They pump them selves up when going around roundabouts / corners.... even pumped themsleves up going round a curve on the A34 at *cough*mph? Interestingly i turned them off and missed them so maybe they're not such a daft idea.

In summary.... i want another go? On a circuit.

Did i mention the howl?
[snapback]133470[/snapback]
Lucky bastard!

Quick Reply: 30 minutes behind the wheel....