E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

1st Batch West Coast M5 has arrived in US

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a post from an M5'er who has access to some inside information at BMW. He is VERY reliable:

BMW knows that certification is imminent and there is no issue or cause for alarm. The engineering data has been ready for months and submitted to the EPA, that's why the car is now 45-state certified and for whatever reason the CARB and SULEV state paperwork is just a few days late on sign off. Certification was scheduled for October 5-12 and obviously the rubber stamping has fallen outside that window. I asked my source how often this happens? They told me "all the time." A release delay ("block," in BMW-speak) because of emissions paperwork goes unnoticed for other models often . It's just that we are a bunch of "wacko enthusiasts" tracking our cars tantamount to trying to watch the hands on the clock move!

Hopefully we'll see our cars soon...this is agony. :'(
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Members

deleted
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:15 AM
I'm having trouble believing the coordinated release thing.? What motivation would BMW have to piss-off their best customers by screwing with them?? What is the benefit of a 'coordinated release'??? Who is hurt by delivering the cars to the dealers and the customers who ordered them first???

I just can't believe the BMW executives sat in a conference room and said:

"Let's ship our cars to the States, and then hold them for a few weeks, and not tell anyone why we're doing it.? Then, when the customers don't get their cars, they'll either think we're not telling them the truth, or that we've screwed up and can't get the cars released.? Sounds like a good plan - let's do it."

If they wanted a coordinated release, why wouldn't they just say so?? No big deal. And what would the benefit of a coordinated release be?? Remember, BMW doesn't get paid until they deliver the car to the dealer, and right now BMW is losing money.? Why would they intentionally delay receipt of millions of dollars to the company?? How does BMW benefit from this??

If they really wanted a coordinated release they could hold the cars at port in Bremmerhaven, and ship them so they all arrived in the US at the same time.? To have their best customers cars sitting at the VPC for several weeks just cannot be good for anybody.? No, I don't think this is planned.
[snapback]184930[/snapback]

Actually it does not really matter. No matter where it sit. It will need to sit until all dealer has at least one car to show and deliver.

West Coast transit is at least 2 weeks longer than East coast. It does not help that half of the market is being served by west coast VDC.

All i have been told by people at VDC that there is no CARB issues with the M5. They can't discuss why the M5 is not released, nor willing to confirm that they have M5 in their possession (i found out my car was at dock after talking to one of the lower level employee that they in did have 24 cars at dock. The high level just played dumb).

CARB certification does not take that long. I loanede out my TL back in 2001 for Comptech to get CARB certification on their S/C kit. The whole process took less than 4 weeks to complete. (that including mounting the kit, tune the car, CARB test and certificatio, and dismount the kit and have car dropped off to me).

CARB does not ignore paperwork.

Also there was no update issues on the 550i. There is a software update on the E90 with active steering, an issue with X3 lift gate that are delaying cars at VDC. Some 550i were held back due to M-tech kit being VDC installed option. That was it.

We are already beginning our 3rd week of hold. No matter how CARB is slow or just ignore the paperwork. It would not take 3 week. Like Wolverine says, BMW is not getting paid without releasing the car. If that really is the case, BMW would be jumping up and down to get the CARB paperwork done.

This is simply a smoke screen or excuse. Look at it this way. There are only about 300 cars in the states now, and probably about 70% of them are sold. And out of 210 owners outthere, how many of them is really sitting at their laptop and track the shipment on minute by minute basis. Probably less than a 100.

On the other hand, if BMW can't have cars to their bigger dealership in the west coast, they are in danger of pissing off their dealers where the big volume is. So take that into consideration, is 100 customer more important than 80 dealerships?

This is a trade off that BMW is making. BMW will not tell us the truth. I really believe that the car will not be released prior to 10/21 when next West Coast ship docks. Even at that time, if the ship gets in late 10/21. VDC can't process it until 10/24 at earliest. The likely release date would be the week of 10/24.

If CARB paperwork is the sole reason that M5 is being delayed and it is impact BMW bottom line, BMW would be calling CARB and be on their rear and this would not have dragged out for 3 weeks. Another inconsistency is that even if the CARB paperwork comes through, BMW still needs to have correct CARB number stickers and host of others to affix it onto their car, that will take additional time. Hence for BMW to state that once the CARB paperwork issue is resolved, cars can be shipped within hours is ridiculous.

Moreover, wagoneer does not work that way either. Even though Wagonner is a 24 hour 7 day a week operation. Wagoneer is the one that decides which car get picked up and moved. They have 48 hours to get cars out of VDC once VDC releases them. It all depends on the load to particular dealership.

Whether this is planned ahead or not, no one knows. But i believe this is a coordindate release.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Members

BTW, I forgot to mention that BMW also pulled the same stunt with 01 E46 M3 when they were released to the NA market.

The excuse at that time is that they are behind in printing the sticker for the M3.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by krispykreme' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:50 AM
BTW, I forgot to mention that BMW also pulled the same stunt with 01 E46 M3 when they were released to the NA market.

The excuse at that time is that they are behind in printing the sticker for the M3.
[snapback]185282[/snapback]
So, KK what's the status of your car now? In transit to the dealer?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Drezahl' date='Oct 19 2005, 10:59 AM
[quote name='krispykreme' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:50 AM']BTW, I forgot to mention that BMW also pulled the same stunt with 01 E46 M3 when they were released to the NA market.

[snapback]185282[/snapback]
So, KK what's the status of your car now? In transit to the dealer?
[snapback]186205[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't know. My dealer has turned quiet.

Talked to wagoneer dispatch. They states that the car has not been released.

At this time i have no clue where my car is.