E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

||| Venom: E60 M5 Build - The SHOP - MFEST - HH - STM - WPI - GTHaus |

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total Nice, want to se more
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Members

so the car is complete....thing is, DPE made a mistake on the offset of the rear wheels...made them 8mm too aggressive (pokes outside rear fender)...normally you can shave off 3-5mm from the hub and do a slight camber to make it clear...however, the hub is already maxed out...They needed to either cut new centers or replace the outer lip and downgrade to a 4.5" from a 5" lip =(

just as an FYI, this error was made because they were too "busy/lazy" to come out to the shop (40 miles) and personally measure the bodywork...instead they relied on me to use my friend's 20" iForged and stack spacers then measure the back space. Definitely inaccurate to begin with.

In the end, they didn't want to go out of pocket to correct the problem...went through a 3rd party wheel company to replace my barrels....LAST SET I'M EVER BUYING

Will have full shot tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Members

just as an FYI, this error was made because they were too "busy/lazy" to come out to the shop (40 miles) and personally measure the bodywork...instead they relied on me to use my friend's 20" iForged and stack spacers then measure the back space. Definitely inaccurate to begin with.

In the end, they didn't want to go out of pocket to correct the problem...went through a 3rd party wheel company to replace my barrels....LAST SET I'M EVER BUYING

Will have full shot tomorrow.
[/quote]

Just figured I'd edit the previous comment as it was out of frustration.

So the car is complete....The thing is, the rear wheels sat about 8mm outside of the rear fenders. DPE built the wheels according to the measurements given by myself. Normally you can shave off 3-5mm from the hub and do a slight camber to make it clear; however, the hub is already maxed out and thin enough...DPE was more than willing to re-cut new centers (to save myself from downgrading the lip size by half an inch) IF the fault was theirs to bear.

After going through the calculations/conversions involved using my friend's 20" iForged wheel with 37mm spacers measured to the fender, the end result was spot on as far as the new wheel's offset goes. When we mounted the new DPEs on, somehow or someway, they stuck out 8mm further than the fender.

It's true I was quick to point my finger and blame them for not coming out to measure the wheel/fender personally, but something definitely came into play that affected the end results. DPE offered their services to replace the lip and charge me their cost, but knowing that the smaller lips were out of state, the cost for shipping wasn't worth it. I contacted a 3rd party wheel company that offered a faster turn around time to replace the outer lips so now I'm just hoping and waiting that they're the right replacements.

On a brighter side of things, here are several things I should mention about the build:
- Gave me a test fit wheel to pick up, however, the bolt pattern was incorrect so we couldn't use it
- DPE finished the wheels 3 weeks from the deposit date
- They covered the fee to rush-finish the centers to make the deadline
- Offered to replace the outer lip to a smaller size as long as I fronted the money, and the payment would be refunded when my 5" lips sold through their effort

Again, I know my first post came off as bashing them for not measuring the wheels/fender-work in person that would've resulted in the proper fitting, but there were other things that came into play outside of their control and knowledge.

Hopefully, if the replacement barrels are the exact shape/replacement, then I'll have full shots tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Members

I feel your pain having gone through something similar myself (not with DPE, someone else). But hope it's complete soon and we get to see final shots!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Members

Sorry for the long wait everyone...Finally picked up the car on Friday...got the wheels reassembled with a 4.5" lip downsized from a 5" lip. Meisterschaft GT2 exhaust was installed Friday morning...no joke, sounds like a Ferrari

Here are some iPhone pics before a complete write up and photoshoot

Arrival of the Meisterchaft GT2 exhaust last monday. Excellent craftsmanship and the customer service was nothing short of extraordinary. The section 3 piece fit like a glove once installed couldn't wait to let it RIP!!!

Once installed...

Before and After pic:

Next to my boy's Panny...also the owner of TheShop

Pic from last night at The W with a few friends

MFest coilovers will be installed on Monday followed by an alignment and oil change...stay tuned
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: ///M5

Sick, Any idea what the offsets of the front wheels are?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Siiiiicck!!!! In a good way.

- Antti -
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Members

The front lip isn't finished yet...still planning to add a splited underneath to help it flow with the rest of the car...here are some better quality pics...too bad I didn't have my tripod

and a better shot to show the subtle widebody

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Looks good...All show though and no go?!?!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

hot damn!! congrats on the build benjo

Quick Reply: ||| Venom: E60 M5 Build - The SHOP - MFEST - HH - STM - WPI - GTHaus |