E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Your thoughts on R1 concepts rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

I had R1 rotors and hawk pads installed. I lost a significant amount of braking power and they squeaked like no other. 600 hundred miles after the correct bedding process and they still had no bite. I have since replaced the hawk pads with OEM pads. I regained a lot of the "bite" but they are still not 100% like stock brakes. Love the look of the R1s so im keeping this set up.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM
New Members

For myself, I would never install cross drilled rotors on a street car. With the drilled holes, reduced surface area and the holes tend to get micro cracks around them.

There is really no benefit of having them on a street car in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Members

Agreed- less surface area, less friction between pad and rotor. Curiously I would have expected the drilled rotors to be lighter, not heavier. I have the same experience as epilithic w/ Hawk HPS pads, too much squeal for my taste (vs OE, EBC, Axxis/PBR, Stoptech pads).

I personally just replaced my OE brakes this past weekend with "normal" rotors & Stoptech Street pads, and the initial bite is much improved even with the cold weather (40's - 50's F).
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by constant
Agreed- less surface area, less friction between pad and rotor. Curiously I would have expected the drilled rotors to be lighter, not heavier. I have the same experience as epilithic w/ Hawk HPS pads, too much squeal for my taste (vs OE, EBC, Axxis/PBR, Stoptech pads).

I personally just replaced my OE brakes this past weekend with "normal" rotors & Stoptech Street pads, and the initial bite is much improved even with the cold weather (40's - 50's F).
If you got the premium rotors its suppose to be heavier because its suppose to be made with a higher strength disc to take the heat and not warp.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by galvatron
I've had a set of front R1 Blank rotors coupled with Hawks HPS pads for about 4 moths now & I'm beyond satisfied with 'em.
The stopping power is superior compared to stock IMO.
Never has let me down in normal to hard driving..
I just recommend (highly) properly bedding them as soon as the are installed.
Find urself a empty parking lot & accelerate to 65-75 mph & hit that brake.
You want to do this repeatedly until u can literally smell the brake fluid cooking & see them brakes smoking this ensures a proper bedding..
Big shout out to John @ Motorcepts NYC who showed me the way.
Bottom line these 2 products are very much recommended IMHO.
I have to say I disagree. I have had OEM rotors and the HPS pads for about 5k miles so far. They are very quiet, produce nearly no dust and at this rate will last an extremely long time. However, the pedal feel is no longer the responsive BMW feel. The pedal is soft, stopping takes longer and more force is required to stop the vehicle.

I work in the vehicle validation department at the BMW plant in South Carolina and I can say that in my opinion (which does not reflect the opinion of the BMW group or any affiliate company) the OEM pads are significantly better than any STREET pad you will find in terms of performance. There are compromises in any pad, you can't have no dust and superb brake feel. That is why the OEM pads dust so much, BMW has determined that performance is much more important than low dust pads.

I am not dissatisfied with the Hawk HPS pads, they are quiet and its nice to not have to clean my wheels every other day!!!! However I really miss the fantastic pedal feel and performance of the stock pads and will be returning to the stock setup at my next brake change.

On a more broad note, there are reasons BMW chooses certain OEM equipment, they balance quality with long term performance. Be skeptical of aftermarket solutions, they do not have the resources the original manufacturer has to develop and evaluate parts.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

It either looks & diminished braking power (maybe slight) vs, OEM performance that looks ok. I have done many MODs to my E60 but I will leave my breaks stock until I can get an M5 brake swap.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by wtlb
It either looks & diminished braking power (maybe slight) vs, OEM performance that looks ok. I have done many MODs to my E60 but I will leave my breaks stock until I can get an M5 brake swap.
I think that is the way to go. Get some big brakes on there.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Members

My Ride: ///M5

I have a set of M5 brakes with 30k miles with rotors, pads, calipers, brake lines if anyone interested pm me.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

I think it's awfully hard to compete with the stock setup for brakes, particularly for the 535/545/550s. This is a pic of the current OE stock replacement rotor - it's two piece, with aluminum hats, something you're not getting except with a BBK from a third party vendor, and something that I don't think was on my car from the factory (at least I don't recall them being so configured).

They look great behind the wheels. I recently did a brake job with these and StopTech pads. If I had it to do over again I'd keep it entirely stock, or choose a different third party pad. Initial bite doesn't seem up to snuff, and the ultimate performance is certainly adequate, but not ridiculously good and smooth like the stock setup.
Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts on R1 concepts rotors?-img_1520.jpg