E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Your most regretful modification to your E60...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most regretful modifications here were those that had to re-done:

- Replica m5 bumper (eventually replaced with OEM)
- Replica lci tails (eventually replaced with OEM)
- Replica 167 wheels (eventually ended up going forged)
- Replica trunk spoiler (ended up throwing it away)
- Replica cf hood (eventually ended up giving it to my body shop and put OEM one back on)

Lesson learned: do it right the first time...go OEM if possible.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have quite a number items:
1. Dinan exhaust:
Pros: listening exhaust note while standing outside is great
Cons: living in hilly area, and it drones when driving uphill while at around 2K rpm
2. Custom quad exhaust:
Pros: looks great
Cons: Noise and drone is unbearable over the time
3. Remus exhaust:
Pros: Nice functional quad tips
Cons: still little bit of drone when driving uphill at around 2K rpm. Worse is when drive in D and stuck at 2K rpm
4. 166 wheels:
Pros: Looks great
Cons: Bent rim every six months. Driving is harsh and feel every single road bump. Noisy and uncomfortable.
5. Axxis Deluxe (front) and Hawk (rear):
Pros: Very minimal dust
Cons: Too dangerous driving downhill in my area. Requires much more effort to stop.
I had to choose between safety and dustless. I went for safety first.
6. Removed permanent charcoal filter:
Pros: Sound throaty
Cons: Lose low end torque
7. Aftermarket amp (previous 530i)
Pros: better sound compared to non-L7 stock system
Cons: Always on whenever the car is awake. Drain battery quickly. Pain in the tail to do installation, and I'll never do it again.
8. Video module (previous 530i):
Pros: I could have back-up cam, watching video, etc.
Cons: Pain in the tail to install. Only use back-up cam and rarely use video function. Waste money IMO.

Those are mods that are no longer with me. I'm now getting to the "over the hill" side -> quiet and comfortable.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Damn, some of you have quite the list. I, fortunately, can't say I have any regretful mod done
Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm surprised how many people regret DIYing the orions... well, not really "surprised", but still makes me wish Simon was in NY
Originally Posted by Ricapar
Orion V2's

It was a pain in the ass getting them installed. The cutting and putting them in part was easy. Sealing them properly was a bit of a pain, but after a few different materials, all water leaks were sealed.

However... They're way too bright. And they don't look natural - imo.. feels like it was some cheap part that was tacked on later (which is true, minus the cheap part).
Haven't gotten around to it, but I'll probably purchase another set of headlights and devise my own AE solution, then sell the ones with the Orions.

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Probably a carbon fiber lip i put on my car 3 years ago, it looked kinda ghetto. And opening my headlights too. Total pain in the ass to do, and I went thru 4 ballasts because of a continued leak in the past.

Originally Posted by umichchris
-Satin Black vinyl wrap.....no automatic washes, no waxing, hand wash only.....and done by myself every single time because i didnt trust anyone else to do it....

-20" wheels on 25 profile tires in Metro Detroit.....fear of potholes had me barely able to sleep at night....

-Orion V2s....condensation issues....finally figured out a solution before my accident happened.

-OEM M5 cluster....a bitch to code....tons of errors otherwise....big headache for a novice like me....

-CIC Navigation reftrofit....fun install but for many outside factors the coding process was the biggest pain ive ever expereinced and i felt that people out here were more than happy to take advantage of the situation to make $....but hey thats capitalism at its finest right? Ultimately it was all worth it....words cant describe how awesome that system is compaired to the old CCC or dare i say MASK

* all my mods....because here in Detroit it makes my car a huge target for armed robbers. if i wasnt born/raised in the inner city i would be an easy target....i was nearly car-jacked a couple months ago in downtown detroit right outside of my job at GM headquarters....but i was armed as well (100% legally)...and escaped with not only my life but my car too!
In the end there, I thought you were gonna say "and his gun, car and girl too"
Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

So far for me only one mod I regret doing and after a couple months realized it was NOT working and caused me more problems. I installed the inJen Cold air intake, What? Cold air, where...? Sound wise, it hissed like a snake with the 535. No throaty sound at all, just hissing... Problem was, the turbos don't like the hot air! I threw a 1/2 engine reduced power error with an actual loss in power. Removed iJen took to dealer they changed something. Of course not knowing that the iJen was previously on it. After the second time I realized the iJen was cauing the problem and removed it again and did not re-install. So far the error has not returned. Sold the iJen on ebay, obviously for a loss but oh well lessons learned.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

The time when I bought products from Quad M was the most regretful thing I did.......
Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

I don't necessarily regret this purchase, but the Sprint Booster would be considered my most pointless accessory. I am not criticizing it - it just doesn't match my driving style. I have used it literally 3 times and now it just sits there causing people in my car to ask, "What is that button for?"
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sublime,
Let me know if you'd like to sell your v2 SB.

Fred

--------
As for most of the mods I've done, I can appreciate BMW engineers more that they've optimized most, if not all, aspects of the car. If I mod the car, for example, changing to free flow exhaust, then something gotta give such as losing low end torque and introducing more cabin noise/drone under load, in the exchange for a few HP at the high-end and nice, warm and sexy exhaust note.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

The most regretful mod i've done so far is installing generic HID's (they threw errors & didnt fire up right)....should have gone for DDM from the get-go...what a waste of money.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

My only regrettable mod so far was getting some H&R springs and putting them on the stock shocks. My OEM shocks were shot within 4 months of getting the springs installed and I knew I should have (and I then did) go with coilovers. Much more adjustability, better handling, and a better overall ride

In a sub category, I went through 8 sets of replacement fog light bulbs before biting the bullet and getting John's HID fog kit. I am MUCH happier now, they are brighter, throw no errors, and should last a lot longer than silly regular bulbs did.

Quick Reply: Your most regretful modification to your E60...