E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Yet another pre-LCI to LCI headlight retrofit question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok first of all, I have pretty much read through all the LCI retrofit threads on the forums and gathered some info but a lot of it is conflicting.

Car spec:

520d E60 manufacture date 22.09.2005 equipped with RHD factory halogens.
I can get a used set of LCI halogens for a nice price so the plan is to retrofit that.

Now the questions:

1. The car is pre 09/2006 so I will need a new LCM correct?
2. That new LCM will need to be coded?
3. I have access to an Autologic machine, does that have a retrofit program for this?
4. According to this thread here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/904...1#entry1070322 you can get an adapter plug instead of cutting cables and inserting them into the BMW retrofit kit plugs? Has this been confirmed by anyone?
5. If using the BMW retrofit kit instructions along with coding of the LCM, will there be any angel eyes errors like some people are getting? I don't want to add resistors, workarounds, etc. Needs to be as OEM as possible.
6. From the BMW retrofit kit the main things which will be used are the plugs, pins and weather plugs right? Would it be easier to just buy the needed parts separately since I won't do a tail light retrofit (not yet).
7. Has anyone made a detailed guide/pdf from start to finish of this mod?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Ok first of all, I have pretty much read through all the LCI retrofit threads on the forums and gathered some info but a lot of it is conflicting.

Car spec:

520d E60 manufacture date 22.09.2005 equipped with RHD factory halogens.
I can get a used set of LCI halogens for a nice price so the plan is to retrofit that.

Now the questions:

1. The car is pre 09/2006 so I will need a new LCM correct? -> YES
2. That new LCM will need to be coded? -> YES
3. I have access to an Autologic machine, does that have a retrofit program for this? -> SHOULD BE.
4. According to this thread here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/904...1#entry1070322 you can get an adapter plug instead of cutting cables and inserting them into the BMW retrofit kit plugs? Has this been confirmed by anyone?
-> THE WAY THIS WORKS IS, YOU NEED TO CUT OUT YOUR OLD PLUG AND CRIMP ON NEW CONTACTS FOR USING THE NEW PLUG. ALL CONTACTS AND PLUGS ARE PROVIDED IN THE KIT.
5. If using the BMW retrofit kit instructions along with coding of the LCM, will there be any angel eyes errors like some people are getting? I don't want to add resistors, workarounds, etc. Needs to be as OEM as possible. ->THERE SHOULD BE NO ERRORS.
6. From the BMW retrofit kit the main things which will be used are the plugs, pins and weather plugs right? Would it be easier to just buy the needed parts separately since I won't do a tail light retrofit (not yet).
-> YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BUY THE HEADLIGHT PARTS ON THEIR OWN FROM THE KIT.
7. Has anyone made a detailed guide/pdf from start to finish of this mod? -> YES, PLEASE SEARCH.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Bruce

That clears up a few things, but still a few ?

1. For question 4 above what is the difference between the BMW full LCI retrofit and just those plugs since you still need to cut the cables and crimp them again? Thought that would be a plug and play solution. Also does that kit come with the wiring diagram?
2. If I don't install the LCI tail lights and still code the new LCM with retrofit coding, will the current pre-LCI rear light work/give dash errors?
3. Is LM2 a plug and play job on the exisiting LM1 cable?

Wish you could make a plug and play kit for the headlights also (like the tail lights)
I think many people would be interested.
But if the male parts of the plug only exist on the headlight socket and not as a separate part guess its impossible.