E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

XM Roady 2 with a Hard wired Delphi FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, Titanium grey/Black, Automatic, Sport, Premium, Nav, HUD, Aux input, 35% tint all around.

So I have been reading a bunch of the threads regarding sat radio. I had wanted sat radio but told not available as I have nav on the car.

My next thought was to go aftermarket with the roady2. It works fine but the wireless fm modulator leaves much to be desired.

I would like to install the delphi sa10003 fm modulator to achieve better sound but it sounds like a tricky install.

Does anybody have success stories with a clean install? I would really like to avoid blowing the warranty due to improper install.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations for an installer in the LA area?

Thanks all. This a great forum!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard !
Old 09-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buzzeroo' date='Sep 30 2004, 04:55 PM
So I have been reading a bunch of the threads regarding sat radio. I had wanted sat radio but told not available as I have nav on the car.

My next thought was to go aftermarket with the roady2. It works fine but the wireless fm modulator leaves much to be desired.

I would like to install the delphi sa10003 fm modulator to achieve better sound but it sounds like a tricky install.

Does anybody have success stories with a clean install?? I would really like to avoid blowing the warranty due to improper install.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations for an installer in the LA area?

Thanks all. This a great forum!
[snapback]39856[/snapback]
Even though you have the NAV, you can get the SAT now if you had SAT Prep when you bought your car. I'm about to add this.

James
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Sep 30 2004, 06:17 PM
Even though you have the NAV, you can get the SAT now if you had SAT Prep when you bought your car.? I'm about to add this.

James
[snapback]39907[/snapback]
James, My dealer is saying that I can NOT get SAT with NAV yet. Other users have said the same and they are being told the same thing. Also how can you tell if you have SAT pre-wiring. When I ordered mine the pre-wiring was not an option. Just pre-wiring for the Blue Tooth.

Mike
Old 09-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

jksankford, you're the first person to claim this is possible.

I spoke with my dealer on Monday or Tuesday and they're still saying BMW isn't committing to a date for the retrofit for our cars -- pre-wiring or no pre-wiring.

If you are able to get this done, I'll be one happy camper!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 30 2004, 07:44 PM
jksankford, you're the first person to claim this is possible.

I spoke with my dealer on Monday or Tuesday and they're still saying BMW isn't committing to a date for the retrofit for our cars -- pre-wiring or no pre-wiring.

If you are able to get this done, I'll be one happy camper!?
[snapback]39928[/snapback]
Same on both counts here. I want it when avail. Rudy, yuo would know this. How do I know if I have the pre-wiring? It is not on my invoice and when I ordered the car this was not an option, only pre wiring for blue tooth. My car was produced in April 04.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 30 2004, 09:19 PM
How do I know if I have the pre-wiring? It is not on my invoice and when I ordered the car this was not an option, only pre wiring for blue tooth. My car was produced in April 04.

Thanks
[snapback]39933[/snapback]
Well I'm not exactly sure how to tell if you're prewired. My car was an early March 2004 production (one of the early SMG cars). Just before it went to production, the factory installed Sirius that I ordered became a pre-wiring option at no charge (usually something like $75 for pre-wiring) and the window sticker reflected that. Soon after that, probably around the April production (your car), they stopped offering pre-wiring on nav cars. I have no idea why. (I seem to remember that Lomag's car came with free sat prep as well. His car was one of the first I know of with nav...)

At this point, there's no guarantee that a retrofit will ever be available for MY04 cars. Something tells me that if they get it sorted out, they'll be able to retro it with or without pre-wiring. Don't know why I think that other than to say that if they don't, there will be a ton of pissed off customers who would have settled for pre-wiring and were told they couldn't order it back in April, etc.

jksankford, please be right!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Thanks, that what I thought. I was also seriously interested in the blue tooth option when I purchased the car, especially since I had one of the model phones that was supposed to be 100% compatible. (Sony Ericsson T39 worldphone)
Old 10-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Titanium grey/Black, Automatic, Sport, Premium, Nav, HUD, Aux input, 35% tint all around.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get back on topic. We seem to have drifted a bit.

As I am nav equipped and have no pre wire on my car, Sirius, at this point will not be an option. I'm hoping the new xm direct will someday offer compatibility with the e60 but that, I fear, will be some time yet.

So, my only options appear to be:

1. relying on the wireless fm modulator built into the roady 2, or
2. installing delphi SA10003 fm modulator

So the question remains, has anybody successfully installed an fm modulator and tapped it in through the fm antenna in the rear glass of the car? Any advice, tips, feedback? Best place to wire in? etc?

Thanks all.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I remember seeing some posts regarding a proprietary antenna connector in the E60. I think you'll need to verify that the connector on your unit is compatible or if there is an adapter available...

Quick Reply: XM Roady 2 with a Hard wired Delphi FM Modulator