E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

xi rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think that if I put a 25mm spacer on the 17" 138 Style rims from a 530xi it will clear the front brake caliper on my 545i??

Thanks to all.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Here is one of the threads where the difference was discussed:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=195068

And here's a message I sent to another member on this topic:

One important thing, though: since we last talked, we found out that the offset on the xi is actually 23mm different on the front and rear from the non-xi model. The hub is placed 23mm further toward the outside of the car.

Here is the Style 124 for xi and the Style 124 for non-xi.

This means that if you put the "normal" wheels on, it's like the equivalent of also having a 23mm spacer on. Now, on the rear, this is fine, and actually looks good. But on the front, it's about 13mm (0.5") too much for it to be completely within the fenderwell. However, the xi model is also 14mm higher, so there's more clearance. You can see the result on my car here. The photos tend to make the wheels look further out than they actually are...the rear wheel and tire is actually completely within the fenderwell, but the front is not by about 13mm, as I said.

Soooo, if you want the "right" wheels for your car, you need to get the xi wheels. This means you have to drop like $3K (or more) on wheels and tires, when you might be able to get a like-new set used from someone else for $1000-$1500, with tires, too...it's up to you. Personally, I have had zero problems with rubbing on the front, even on some pretty crappy roads, so I'm keeping them as-is...the car actually has a more muscular look to it, too, without the need for spacers. Then again, I've only had the car for two weeks, so I may find issues as time goes on.

One other thing: because the hub offset of the non-xi Style 124s is a full 23mm different, the wheel actually looks a little different, too. You can see this here on Knubblo's car. I thought they just didn't "look right", and it's because they're not the "normal" Style 124s...I thought the hub center wasn't pushed in as "deep" as it is on a normal Style 124 wheel...because it isn't! All along I thought they were the same and kept insisting that, only to ultimately find out there is a pretty big offset difference...

Anyway, hope this helps...
But, if we can indeed use wheels intended for the 3 Series, since they have offsets closer to the stock xi wheels, this means that a whole other world of aftermarket wheels is opened up specifically for the 5 Series xi models.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

you could try the spacers. they should work.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Members

Very interesting find, although I've already upgraded mine with what Tire Rack recommends. Is it possible to get a set of deep dish wheels for the Xi? What kind of offset should I tell Kinesis or HRE or DPE to use? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about getting another set of 18s custom made by one of those companies, and with the BBS I currently have, they are +35mm and hardly have any lip. I just want mine to have a set of nice deep dish wheels all around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!