E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

XI owners! Need your assistance please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so...this has probably been discussed a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I just picked up an 08 535xi, non-sport package, with 16k miles on it.

Due to living in the northeast, and the quality of our roads, 19 inch wheels were out of the question. The tire profile is too low for all the pot holes that we have and I have cracked and bent many 19's in my day.

I ended up going with Beyern Mesh in 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 in standard 245/40 and 275/35.

I like the look for the 535xi with sport package as it sits much lower. Can I just purchase the OEM springs from BMW for a 535xi sport package and just swap those out on my car? Can this be done? Or is my only option going with H&R springs to lower the car?

Does the ride on the xi with the H&R springs really stink? Any bottoming out issues? Ride Quality? What's the real deal on this?

All you assistance is truly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wrong understanding Sport Pkg. on xi/AWD model is cosmetic for look (such as shadowline) only so no sport suspension ...
So the suspension part(s) of sport & non-sport pkg. of xi/AWD model are identical.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Members

ok...thanks for the clarification..

So..does the sport vs. non-sport actually sit lower? or is it my imagination?

What do you know about the H&R springs? Are they worth it? ride quality etc?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Nope on xi/AWD suspension ride height are the same ... which is sadly 4x4 look/stand

As far as suspension goes as you already know you can go H&R spring for under $300 or go w/ high end KW v3 coilovers for more than $2K.
Can't compare between them 'cuz they are different setup, but I'm on H&R springs for over 3 yrs now w/ over 29K miles and have no problem.
Around here we have a pretty good street so up to this point I have no problem w/ ride quality.

Originally Posted by bmellion
ok...thanks for the clarification..

So..does the sport vs. non-sport actually sit lower? or is it my imagination?

What do you know about the H&R springs? Are they worth it? ride quality etc?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Nope on xi/AWD suspension ride height are the same ... which is sadly 4x4 look/stand

As far as suspension goes as you already know you can go H&R spring for under $300 or go w/ high end KW v3 coilovers for more than $2K.
Can't compare between them 'cuz they are different setup, but I'm on H&R springs for over 3 yrs now w/ over 29K miles and have no problem.
Around here we have a pretty good street so up to this point I have no problem w/ ride quality.
So..you are happy with the H&R springs? no bottoming out? What about with people in the back seat? I just dont want to regret doing this and having to go back and put the stock springs back in..
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Compare to 6x the price I'm happy for what I paid ...
Not sure what you mean of bottoming out ... the H&R spring is firmer then stock so it wont bottom/compress out ... OTH the strut is stock so not dampening enough as some members here try Bilstein B6 or B8 w/ mixed result.
I have no problem w/ people on the back seat, my wife drive the car to drop/pickup my kids from/to school and the family have no complain it's been a great DD.

Again, YMMV as where you live ... some members still complain even w/ aftermarket strut replacement 'cuz of bumpy road/street around where they located.

So..you are happy with the H&R springs? no bottoming out? What about with people in the back seat? I just dont want to regret doing this and having to go back and put the stock springs back in..
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Compare to 6x the price I'm happy for what I paid ...
Not sure what you mean of bottoming out ... the H&R spring is firmer then stock so it wont bottom/compress out ... OTH the strut is stock so not dampening enough as some members here try Bilstein B6 or B8 w/ mixed result.
I have no problem w/ people on the back seat, my wife drive the car to drop/pickup my kids from/to school and the family have no complain it's been a great DD.

Again, YMMV as where you live ... some members still complain even w/ aftermarket strut replacement 'cuz of bumpy road/street around where they located.
Just so I'm clear...

You are using the H&R sport springs with the stock BMW shocks with a positive result? I called Turner Motorsport and they told me that I have to change to the Bilsteins to get good results. Evidently not??
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes I only swapped my springs 'cuz 3 yrs ago (at least here probably the 3rd one that did drop or even started mod on the xi/AWD model) that's my only choice ... now I would swap the strut too since you do both at the same time.

I did my mods install myself but not really fun to re-do my strut again now Also, search around and read thread(s) of those member(s) that swap w/ Bilstein on their xi/AWD to see their comments so you have some comparison too.

So in the scope of your question ... I have no problem just w/ spring, no problem w/ the car after 3 yrs going over 29K miles ... to add to that I'm on 19" wheels.

Click on the pic of my car in my sig below to see my gallery.

Just so I'm clear...

You are using the H&R sport springs with the stock BMW shocks with a positive result? I called Turner Motorsport and they told me that I have to change to the Bilsteins to get good results. Evidently not??
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I love my H&R's on stock shocks, 2 years no problems so far.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Members

WOW! This is great to hear! Anyone else on H&R Springs with stock shocks??

Quick Reply: XI owners! Need your assistance please...