E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

xi lowering long term

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Mr5
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 535xi lowered on H&R Springs only.

I'm selling mine btw if you're interested.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Carbon black m sport package 535xi. Natural brown interior with black diamond trim. Dinan stage 2.

Originally Posted by Mr5
2010 535xi lowered on H&R Springs only.

I'm selling mine btw if you're interested.

I texted you rudi!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

The most cost effective way to lower your xi from what I have read here and other places are h & r springs. My bmw indy mechanic My link also says there are good I will let you know in a couple of years.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
V.

I'm lost ... why does it matter? Could you pls elaborate 'bout the shock shaft height diff...

Are you thinking of due to lower spring on H&R using stock shock then there's some free gap (essentially where the 'lowering' takes place) where the spring can wobble/rotate so to compensate it is by using shorter shaft shock?

Tkx!

--R.
I seriously doubt there will be any wobbling or anything like that - I've never heard anything like that from anyone who's done this. There was at least one account where bumpstops were cut intentionally to achieve an even lower ride, and the suspension was seriously messed up (search member DrLev99's threads for details). But just swapping the springs should do just fine, as long as you don't cut the bumpstops and don't take your car to driving events.

The reason I personally do not want to lower on springs alone is handling and long-term reliability. For the most part - again - regular everyday driving, springs alone are probably a totally decent way to drop. However, if you ever take your car to motorcross or any other type of driving event, where curves are involved, you're going to want to be sure that the spring is matched to the damper - for height AND spring/compression rates. Also, the strain on the dampers during motorcross-style driving increases exponentially - particularly when the spring rate and height is not matched to the damper height and compression rate.

Does this answer your question? Let me know if you have any more - I'm always happy to help with whatever I can
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

No, I meant why you are looking for a shock w/ shorter shaft? 'cuz even w/ stock shocks you still have to use spring compressor to install the H&R.

As far as 'bout the spring ... I bought mine new an extra set from DrLev99 'cuz the place he bought sent him twice by mistake then I installed mine myself and been on it over 24K miles for the past 3 years now (way before you joined the forum) ... if I remember correctly I probably the 4th member here on H&R (after C, KU530 then DrLev99) ... and attended my local BMWCCA & SCCA driving event in local tracks around the midwest and my kid sometime use it for auto-x too ... granted it's not an optimal setup since the shocks are stock, sure it rides firmer but it's my daily drive too & unlike what other members complaints I personally have zero problem even after I followed DrLev99 idea and cut the bump stop. .

I assisted DrLev99 during the bump stop thread If you browse thru that thread it wasn't meant to be for achieving even lower ride but instead to reduce the bump since the car sitting on a rubber bump stop as oppose to move freely.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I seriously doubt there will be any wobbling or anything like that - I've never heard anything like that from anyone who's done this. There was at least one account where bumpstops were cut intentionally to achieve an even lower ride, and the suspension was seriously messed up (search member DrLev99's threads for details). But just swapping the springs should do just fine, as long as you don't cut the bumpstops and don't take your car to driving events.

The reason I personally do not want to lower on springs alone is handling and long-term reliability. For the most part - again - regular everyday driving, springs alone are probably a totally decent way to drop. However, if you ever take your car to motorcross or any other type of driving event, where curves are involved, you're going to want to be sure that the spring is matched to the damper - for height AND spring/compression rates. Also, the strain on the dampers during motorcross-style driving increases exponentially - particularly when the spring rate and height is not matched to the damper height and compression rate.

Does this answer your question? Let me know if you have any more - I'm always happy to help with whatever I can
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
No, I meant why you are looking for a shock w/ shorter shaft? 'cuz even w/ stock shocks you still have to use spring compressor to install the H&R.

As far as 'bout the spring ... I bought mine new an extra set from DrLev99 'cuz the place he bought sent him twice by mistake then I installed mine myself and been on it over 24K miles for the past 3 years now (way before you joined the forum) ... if I remember correctly I probably the 4th member here on H&R (after C, KU530 then DrLev99) ... and attended my local BMWCCA & SCCA driving event in local tracks around the midwest and my kid sometime use it for auto-x too ... granted it's not an optimal setup since the shocks are stock, sure it rides firmer but it's my daily drive too & unlike what other members complaints I personally have zero problem even after I followed DrLev99 idea and cut the bump stop. .

I assisted DrLev99 during the bump stop thread If you browse thru that thread it wasn't meant to be for achieving even lower ride but instead to reduce the bump since the car sitting on a rubber bump stop as oppose to move freely.

wouldn't you need a spring compressor for any spring installation?

Stop busting my chops, man