E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

wtf my subs stop working

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally have everything in my car finally working properly and i get to enjoy it for 2 days. last night i was jamming some 2 chainz (rapper for those who don't know) off my ipod with full bass knocking i did my normal routine as i back up the car into the garage i lower the volume so the next morning start up wont be ruff on the ears. so this morning as i was driving to work i noticed my base wasn't playing. I popped the trunk and saw that the amp light was still on so i knew it wasn't a fuse, power or grounding issue. The amp is a hand me down I had for a about 7 years that has handled so far like a champ. I only transferred this setup to my car about 4 months ago and used a brand new line out converter to push sound to the amp I'm thinking that could be where the problem lies because i didn't touch anything and the wires i tapped into are soldiered and taped up really well and the loc is secured so i doesn't bounce around. I'm trying to contemplate the possible source of the problem and I'm hoping the amp hasn't gone bad. Have you guys heard of line out converters going bad that quickly??? btw all my interior speakers and subs still play

this is the one i purchased
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Check the subs....I've blown more than 20 in my life. I actually keep a spare type-r twelve on hand at all times. I actually just blew my system a week or two after I got to Cali. The amp isn't on. I did a quick swap with a fresh/new one and it didn't turn on either. I'm guessing it's the remote wire. But shit I still have a headlight out too....I just haven't had time to do anything w/ this move

And what you know about that 2CHAINZ??? I rock that TRUrealigion tape daily lol
(unless the Dom Kennedy or #TaylorAlderdice is blastin instead)
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Assuming you are right and i did blow the sub is it possible for it to stop working after I turn. Off the car because it was working last night all the way till I turned off the car. Also I'm starting to think it could either be the amp or the sub because I unplugged the rca from the loc and i touched the tips and got no feed back from the sub at all. Is it safe to test out the sub by plugging my ipod directly to the amp inputs using a stereo to rca cable from the head phone jack of course on really low volume
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

unplug the speaker wire from the sub box and hook up a diffrent speaker. any speaker. make sure to change the fq filter if its a high range speaker. if the speaker works its prolly not the amp. maybe the wire on the sub itself wiggles off from vibration. unbolt the sub from box and check that too
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

Well I dunno how did it go from good to bad over night I went back to mess with it again this time i did it with low volume and I noticed the sub was actually playing but It sounded like a maracah or some tin like sound I guess its truly blown indeed I don't understand how I have my amp set so low I'm not the type who likes the base to be heard from down the block and i know i wasn't listening to it at max loud yes but definitely not max. Shoot its weird to me do subs blow for other reasons beside playing too loud or bad frequency from mad mp3s ?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

I was going to guess bad sub too. I blew my first one when j just installe on my e60 had a whole day of bass then next morning it didn't work, I also thought it was my amp. Got a new setup and been bumping for 2 months now no problem.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
I was going to guess bad sub too. I blew my first one when j just installe on my e60 had a whole day of bass then next morning it didn't work, I also thought it was my amp. Got a new setup and been bumping for 2 months now no problem.
yeah I'm pissed cuz i just spent maybe 40 hours fixing and organizing my entire itunes and now i can't even enjoy the music I'm trying to search for a good deal on a 10 inch type r alpine i see ebay got em for like 180 for the 3000w. btw whats going on with that icon drive we are all waiting for your reviews