E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wow! Is the 545i really that limited???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Okay guys,

What is the deal with these N/A BMW?s regarding performing tuning, in particular the 545i?

There are tons of aftermarket options when it comes to wheels, brakes, suspension, cosmetics and so on but what about engine performance?

Okay, I?ve seen some CAI kits, Ram-air scoops and Cat-back/Mufflers offerings?the 545i is limited to this? Oh wait; I almost forgot the LSD option.

Sure, the easier but not necessarily the cheapest way around this would be to buy a TT or M Bimmer and then go from there but for now, I?ll stick with the 545i.

So tell me, are my findings correct? Based on your experiences, which of the Tuning options below is better? Talk to me, tell me if you have other tuning options
Dinan
Powerchip
Singh Autosports and so on

Thanks,
Hard45
Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

VF Engineering was supposed to release Supercharger a few months back.....never happened. Not even sure if they are still creating it.

Without F/I I think the most you can push out of the 545i's engine is about 25-30 hp at the MOST. RPi Scoops, RPi Axleback Exhaust, Dinan Tune.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

ill let you know what major upgrades are available for the 545i as soon as i get an email back from Noelle Motors
Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1024865' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:57 AM
ill let you know what major upgrades are available for the 545i as soon as i get an email back from Noelle Motors
Okay thanks.

I can't believe it's this hard finding a tuner(s) here in the U.S. with dedicated mods for the 545i!

Maybe I shoud just do what my brother did back in 2000 to his old SL600 Mercs. He simply added a filter, made up a homemade air tubing for fresh air and then added a 125HP N2O dry shot and that heavy benz was a super sleeper. Her was eating cammed up LS1's like hotcakes...those days were fun.

Thanks,
Hard45
Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1024859' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:19 AM
VF Engineering was supposed to release Supercharger a few months back.....never happened. Not even sure if they are still creating it.

Without F/I I think the most you can push out of the 545i's engine is about 25-30 hp at the MOST. RPi Scoops, RPi Axleback Exhaust, Dinan Tune.
Thanks amigo

FI is cool but I don't want to go that far [spend that amount of money] in this car.

25-30HP to the rear wheels would be nice but I think you mean gains at the crank. I have the RPI scoop, K&N drop in filter and Magnaflow muffler. I have a buddy with a 545i as well and he installed the cat-back RPI muffler (nice system) and to be honest, we did not noticed a big diff in sound or performance (butt dyno). However, the RPI piece looks a lot better.

I could spray this thing, the stock fueling seems fat as it is anyway and I am willing to bet the stock timing is really low as well. BMW does this in case some fool decides to add 87oct instead of the good stuff. I could simply change the plugs for a set of non platinum and then add a 120HP shot...I'll bet those 32valves would love it I have easy access to 108 unleaded racing fuel and also a dyno, so I could make sure all is well before heading out for battle.

But anyway, I still need to speak/connect with a good 545i tuner...who is out there? There seems to be plenty of tuners in Germany.

Thanks,
Hard45
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Not just for 545i..... there are 645i 745i and X5 (they have all the same engine).....

anyways if you want to save money for a homemade DINAN Intake. Some of us have done it. Great results! https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=81418

Plus LSD!!! IMO it is the best MOD of all! it is not just for cornering also double the action on the wheels.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

There are A LOT of 545/550/645/650 and perhaps some 745/750 owners out there wanting supercharger kits. Lots n lots of intrest, but none of the companies seem to see any intrest in it. ESS dropped their plans, looks like VF did as well VF released a s/c kit for the r8, how much more complex can the bmw 4.4/4.8 engine be? Jeeez VF!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?productI...;categoryId=114 has a nice price for Quaife LSD $1305
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

I have a 545i also and I think all those "littlle" performance parts are worthless thats why I havent bought them. Thats why my bmw is more for looks and for the family and the stang is for speed. Same thing with the m5 u cant do much to it thats why im excited for the new tt m5. Just tune it up the boost and u have a 100 extra ponies
Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turbo_mustang12' post='1025194' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:26 PM
I have a 545i also and I think all those "littlle" performance parts are worthless thats why I havent bought them. Thats why my bmw is more for looks and for the family and the stang is for speed. Same thing with the m5 u cant do much to it thats why im excited for the new tt m5. Just tune it up the boost and u have a 100 extra ponies
I hear ya brotha.

I added the little things [RPI scoop, sprintbooster, K&N/removed charcoal] and ran it at the track and the car seemed to run about the same as stock. However, I am running the same ET's with but with worse 60' times since the car now seems a little more difficult to keep the tires from spinning at the starting line. That is why I'm dying for a good tune. I believe this car can hit the 13.2 to 13.1 mark with some sticky tires, my current mods and a good tune.

Believe it or not, I think the Magnaflow muffler added the biggest gains. The car sounds better, feels a little peppier down and most importantly, I lost about 38lbs back there...the stock two mufflers system is one heavy mofo.

Many coworkers along with my wife are telling me to leave the Bimmer alone and just cruise it! Sorry, I can't help it, once I had a taste of that 13.66/13.7 pass I was hooked and now on a quest for more. Besides, drag racing is what I like doing. Like you Mr. Turbo Stang, I too have a play race car, I also own a C6 Z06 which is modded; the best pass to date was a 9.54's@147 in the 1/4 mile on pump gas. That Z can be driven across the country and still give me between 25 and 26mpg cruising at 80MPH.

Why can't more and more tuners offer go fast options for the BMW V8 engines? These are some great/solid engines!!!!

Thanks,
Hard45

Quick Reply: Wow! Is the 545i really that limited???