E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Wizard (Simon Chen) strikes again! One final mod job on my new car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out
Default The Wizard (Simon Chen) strikes again! One final mod job on my new car.

Whutsup Fellas,

If it aint broke don't fix it right? Well, thats why most of us continue to support vendors and forum members here who offer their services. Unfortunately, Simon has retired from the hectic mods that were coming in on a weekly basis, but I was able to squeeze in one more unique and EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING job. I recently purchased a 2007 BMW E83 X3 for my girlfriend in outstanding condition with 68k miles. It was lacking in a few areas and the first thing I HAD to do was ensure lighting was handled. It was equipped with some weak ass halogen lights with NO ANGEL EYES!! (can you believe it??!!) Simon and I were pretty dumbfounded with that one.

ANYWAYS, the wizard and I met up at my apartment and literally tackled the job right away. He had never worked on an E83 before so this was a learning experience for the both of us in terms of retrofitting the HID ballasts and projectors into the headlight. Properly mounting the Orions into the headlight was also a head scratcher, but as always Simon came through. I wish we had documented more pictures throughout the process but all I have is a before and after. Finally, the wiring was the biggest obstacle as the wiring for the X3 in terms of a power source is totally not what we usually would see in say an E60 or E9X. Simon and I met up at 10AM and he literally left my apartment a little before 5AM.

Said it before and I stand by my word. Outstanding worker, great customer service before, during and after services and an even better friend. If you're lucky enough to be in the Bay Area and haven't gotten your lights done up or car coded you want to try and see if he could hook it up. Thanks again broski.

Haven't done much yet in terms of mods but here's a list
Orion V2 hardwired as DRL
Mini Projector HID reftrofit to 6k
Plastidipped my OEM Grills
tinted my side markers
tinted the reflectors in the front
front license plate delete (bought some awesome plastic plugs from Lowe's)
OE Style Factory Running boards

Before
Name:  IMG_0387_zpsba05d833.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0392_zpscc22b5f3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  58.7 KB

after
Name:  1-8_zps6e506691.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  56.1 KB
Name:  securedownload-11_zps2736a491.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  65.4 KB

Had some issues properly fitting my running boards but here they are
Name:  IMG_2739_zps1376a810.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  54.6 KB
and this is what they'd look like
Name:  New057-1_zps3da46921.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  53.4 KB
Name:  T2eC16ZHJGoE9nuQgjwzBRNrTLvlvg60_3_zps4beb808f.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  83.2 KB

Awaiting for Avant Garde m355 (f10 M5 reps). I think I'm gunna slap these on just for kicks.
Name:  _1333022484_zps4868b18a.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  99.0 KB

Simon's ride
Name:  IMG_0065-4_zps6db0d47b.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0077-2_zps8ea7889a.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0067-2_zpsa6858c23.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  56.6 KB
and one with mine the night we picked up the car
Name:  IMG_2657_zpse4e32b4b.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  72.5 KB

Last edited by devildawg712; 04-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW E60 550i. Air scoops, black grille, M5 rear lip spoiler, AFE CIA stage 2, AFE throttle body spacer, RPI axel back GT exhaust, full replaced sound system including alpine amp, JL audio 12W3v3 sub, focal component speakers

you and simmon have two of the coolest E60s i've seen, im jealous. love his head lights and love your paint job. Great work! and great work on the X3.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Awesome, I really like those X3. I wouldn't mind having one as a 2nd car. Simon's car looks amazing!! Is he going to keep it when he moves overseas?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bidwell25
you and simmon have two of the coolest E60s i've seen, im jealous. love his head lights and love your paint job. Great work! and great work on the X3.
Thanks man
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Damn always some great looking e60's and now a e83. Simon=MAD Skills!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Simon is the man!!!! "New" car looks great JR, I had no idea the X3 didn't come with Xenons, were they even optional?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Damn always some great looking e60's and now a e83. Simon=MAD Skills!
Thanks mayn

Originally Posted by pjinca
Simon is the man!!!! "New" car looks great JR, I had no idea the X3 didn't come with Xenons, were they even optional?
Thanks Brother. I believe they do, but it never occurred to me that a bmw post say 2004 would offer a headlight (in any model) without the angel eyes AT ALL. oh well, we got it taken care of and it looks much better now. Happy with the turn out.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by devildawg712
Thanks mayn

Thanks Brother. I believe they do, but it never occurred to me that a bmw post say 2004 would offer a headlight (in any model) without the angel eyes AT ALL. oh well, we got it taken care of and it looks much better now. Happy with the turn out.
Hey JR you wouldnt happen to know if Simon taking on jobs while he's up here in the bay?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Oh hai. I haven't been checking in on the boards that recently, but PM me, I will see respond back or call when I do see it. I had some hiccups as far as my move goes, so currently up in my home town, listed the car for sale, and basically just prepping for the move.

JR, always awesome time hanging out. It was a long project for sure, and I am glad you had the extra sized rings for just in case. It definitely would not be looking clean and OEM if we had to use the other sized rings, lol.

I am hoping the gf not only is noticing the change, but also the light output at night!

Anyway, I want to elaborate on the wiring part a little bit. It's totally different than E60s, lol. And call it exhaustion or what not, but at one point, we could not get the Orions to power off because the power source that was feeding the Orions should have been switched power. But turns out that the LED indicator was a trick, and fooled me like an idiot. And not sure why I didn't take multimeter to it earlier when I did test out the wiring under other conditions.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Oh hai. I haven't been checking in on the boards that recently, but PM me, I will see respond back or call when I do see it. I had some hiccups as far as my move goes, so currently up in my home town, listed the car for sale, and basically just prepping for the move.

JR, always awesome time hanging out. It was a long project for sure, and I am glad you had the extra sized rings for just in case. It definitely would not be looking clean and OEM if we had to use the other sized rings, lol.

I am hoping the gf not only is noticing the change, but also the light output at night!

Anyway, I want to elaborate on the wiring part a little bit. It's totally different than E60s, lol. And call it exhaustion or what not, but at one point, we could not get the Orions to power off because the power source that was feeding the Orions should have been switched power. But turns out that the LED indicator was a trick, and fooled me like an idiot. And not sure why I didn't take multimeter to it earlier when I did test out the wiring under other conditions.
Cool. Pm sent.

Quick Reply: The Wizard (Simon Chen) strikes again! One final mod job on my new car.