E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Winter tires needed for Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004 | 05:48 PM
Members

Thumbs up

I have on order a 2005 545. Before this I was driving an Acura Legend which is front wheel drive. I did not need snow tires for the Acura. My concern is that for Chicago winters we sometimes get quit a bit of snow and ice. I am getting the 17 inch tires that come standard with the 545.
Do I need a set of 4 winter tires or can the existing tires suffice?
Old 08-31-2004 | 06:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

You might be fine since the non-sport tires are standard all-season tires and not performance tires. I'd recommend winter tires but you can let one winter pass and see how it goes. You could always buy winter rims/tires in the middle of the winter if it gets bad!
Old 08-31-2004 | 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Get the snow tires. The combination of RWD and wide tires combined with some of those good 'ole Chicago snowstorms will make winter driving an unpleasant experience otherwise.
Old 09-01-2004 | 05:53 AM
Members

willbedone: Chicago winters can be bad and on the other hand sometimes they are not. When I got my last car (BMW 3series E46), two days later it snowed with the OEM tires on the car (Continential CH95) I had no problems and there was alot of snow. Never got stuck or anything. Then that spring I put onn the Bridgestone Potenza's RE950, a high performance all-season tire, and again I never had any problems. I will be getting the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S for my 5 before the winter. The guy at the TireRack recommended them and says they are they best they have seen in a long while. I would also recommend going on www.tirerack.com. They have the best prices and will drop ship them to where you want them put on. Also shipping isn't that bad either. I am not into the whole change tires for winter game. If it snows really bad I either stay home or if I need to go out, I will rent a car, etc. Heck my dealer in the past has even given me a loaner when it snows, and I dont want to drive my car.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2004 | 05:56 AM
Members

I live in Chi town-I've never had a problem with HP tires even in winter. Actually, the winters here have been mild for the past 5 years or so. Typically we don't see any measurable snow until mid to late December. I live in the burbs though, and the streets are well maintained.

The only thing I would say is perhaps to get a good set of high perfromance all seasons like the Michellin Pilot Sports - I hear there is very little sacrifice in performance. Of course, you hadve to take into account the salt - if you keep it clean the rims should be fine.
Old 09-04-2004 | 09:09 AM
Members

Thanks for your help. Especially from the two from Chi town. Based I what I learned, I will go with the all season tires that are stock on my 545i. It is great to have such a good forum that gets the info we need!