E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Winter setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll throw out some random answers -- hope it helps.

First, many people get a second set of wheels, usually of lesser quality/price so that the harshness of winter (road salt, etc.) doesn't harm the "main" set of wheels. In addition to that reason, having two sets allows you to keep the snows mounted and balanced so that you don't have to pay someone twice a year to mount/remount between summer and winter setups. With two sets, you can actually do the changeover yourself in your garage/driveway in about an hour. (This is what I always do and it allows me to wait until the first big snow to actually do it. )

Going with a taller profile/narrower tire for snow usually results in better traction (smaller contact patch = more pressure per square inch). Also, there aren't too many manufacturers that sell snow tires in the "exotic" sizes and those who do charge an arm and a leg for them.

In case you haven't figured it out, the only way to go (if you live in a place that has snow) is to fit the car with 4 snow tires (not all-season tires).

The high-tech Blizzaks really are good -- especially on slick, icy roads. I also recommend looking at the Nokian "Hakkas" (or Hakkapeliitta) are pretty good also.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy,

Thanks for the insights, I think it really clears the air on much of the stuff. Does it matter then if you get BMW wheels or some other mfr? Especially all the talk I've heard about spacers, and clearances, and unsprung weight, etc!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Rudy is spot on !!
I have been using this type of strategy for the last 5 years on my E46 328i..and
will continue the same on the 545i. Even though we don't get bad snow winters
here, rain, salt cold weather take there toll on hard summer tyres and our nice
rims... I only changed a pair of tyres on both summer and winter sets over
4 years..pretty economical. And the summer set always looked like new.

18" sets look good - but the tyres are disproportianally more expensive than
17" ones.

I would say if money is no object or you find a good deal on 18" rims and
winter tyres - go for it.

Changing just the tyres on set of 18" ( namely your summer rims ) - every
season change is a hassle, more expensive and more chances to damage
your rims....
Old 08-04-2004, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

16", 225/55 studded winter tyres
Old 08-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Aug 4 2004, 09:59 AM
16", 225/55 studded winter tyres
I think if I lived in Norway, I'd have studded tires too! Thankfully, I don't need to tear up my driveway with studs!!

paasan, what's your impression of the Hakka's?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

No winter tires... I know how to drive...
just kidding... Haven't thought about it yet...
Old 08-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Iceman, just a question off topic regarding GPS tracking device...was it
installed as an accessoire by the dealer ? how much? do you need some
type of alarm subcription....?

Thanks...

...continue
Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 4 2004, 06:47 PM
Iceman, just a question off topic regarding GPS tracking device...was it
installed as an accessoire by the dealer ? how much? do you need some
type of alarm subcription....?
The tracking device is coming from Nova-Telematic. It's the Mobil Finder.
You can add sensors for almost everything, so you can have the system monitor the car. When somone breaks in the car would inform you immediately and you could track it with your cellphone.
Mine is installed and get's power from the car's battery, without creating problems in your car's power supply. When disconnected from battery it sends an alarm and uses it's built in rechargeable battery.
The only current problem is, and they are working on it, that you can't have your alarm system connected to the device. But this problem will be solved soon and your car's alarm will be connected and you'll get a message when there is an alarm.
So far I can live with the way it is set up, since I am able to track it and the car has an alarm system...
You don't need to sign up to any service. All you need is the device, a cellphone number for it, a cellphone for yourself, and then you pay for the tracking messages coming to your cellphone as a sms. That's all. So you only pay for what you use, no monthly payments, etc...
Old 08-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

I'll throw in another opinion.

First, I loved the Dunlop winter sports on my E39 and will try to put the same tires on my E60. As far as a second set on wheels, I can't dispute anything that Rudy said, but for me, changing (lessening??) the look of your car with a set of "winter wheels" makes no sense. We've all spent a lot of money on our 5ers, we love the look, so why cheapen it for one-third to one-half of the year?

Like I say, just one more opinion.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Aug 4 2004, 09:40 PM
As far as a second set on wheels, I can't dispute anything that Rudy said, but for me, changing (lessening??) the look of your car with a set of "winter wheels" makes no sense. We've all spent a lot of money on our 5ers, we love the look, so why cheapen it for one-third to one-half of the year?
hinckley,

You are correct. That's the biggest reason why I started this thread. I had two E39's over six years. The first one was in 1998 and back then, believe it or not, you couldn't find decent snow tires in a 17 inch diameter (the size of the factory wheels). I believe Blizzaks were sort of a new invention around that time and based on the limited size availability and based on the fact that a low-profile, wide tire has less "bite" in the snow, I purchased a set of 16" wheels that I was able to use for both E39's over the six year period. Performance in the snow was stellar. I never had any problems even during hard snows that caused some 4WD SUV's to have trouble (most likely SUV's without snow tires).

What's my point? Well, now I have to start over. I'm not going to use my 16" wheels on my new car. There is a better selection of tires out there now. Blizzaks are still nice but now there is worthy competition from some other brands. Should I go with 18" tires or still drop it down an inch to 17s? I didn't like the car with the winter setup (unless it was snowy) so most of the time I had to deal with the car with "lesser" looks and "lesser" handling. I realize that handling is going to be sacrificed with any winter setup but I'm trying to figure out what to get as my new "package".

Quick Reply: Winter setup