E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Window Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local BMW dealer uses a window tiniting company that uses 3M tint film. In the past, I always sent my cars to Alta Mere for window tinting. I still prefer to send my 528i to Alta Mere to tint the windows with their Proshield High Performance Series. I was told that some window tint films will cause interference to Navigation, Satellite radio and other signal receptions in the rear window shield. Anyone uses Alta Mere's "Proshield High Performance Series" or anything other than 3M without issue? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I use 3M tint (so dark you can't see inside at all) and there are no problems with radar detector/phone/Mio Nav systems.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by E60528i' post='656548' date='Aug 29 2008, 05:01 AM
My local BMW dealer uses a window tiniting company that uses 3M tint film. In the past, I always sent my cars to Alta Mere for window tinting. I still prefer to send my 528i to Alta Mere to tint the windows with their Proshield High Performance Series. I was told that some window tint films will cause interference to Navigation, Satellite radio and other signal receptions in the rear window shield. Anyone uses Alta Mere's "Proshield High Performance Series" or anything other than 3M without issue? Thanks.
If you have the BMW Professional or Business Navigation, any kind of tinting will not interfere with it. The antenna is mounted on the roof of your car. The 'shark fin'. Same for the satellite radio, if yours is 'stock'. As for radar detectors, do you intend to tint the windshield? If you're not, you have nothing to worry about.

What you were told is in regards to window tinting films that have metallic substances to reduce UV and IF rays from entering the interior of your car and turning it into an oven on hot and sunny days. These films interfere with radio wave transmissions. But once again, unless you plan on putting the tint film on your windshield it shouldn't be a problem for after market Navigation that you mount on top of your dash and your radar detector (that you'll mount on your windshield).

If you are using the tinting just for privacy, the 3M film is a good product. If you want to reduce the amount heat build up inside of your car, then try products like Llumar. BTW, I use Llumar with no issues whatsoever.

Do you by chance use a V1 radar detector? If so, tint films with metallic substances to reduce heat transmission will degrade sensitivity of the the V1 to detect radar signals from the rear. I believe that this may be the only caveat.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='656554' date='Aug 28 2008, 04:16 PM
If you have the BMW Professional or Business Navigation, any kind of tinting will not interfere with it. The antenna is mounted on the roof of your car. The 'shark fin'. Same for the satellite radio, if yours is 'stock'. As for radar detectors, do you intend to tint the windshield? If you're not, you have nothing to worry about.

What you were told is in regards to window tinting films that have metallic substances to reduce UV and IF rays from entering the interior of your car and turning it into an oven on hot and sunny days. These films interfere with radio wave transmissions. But once again, unless you plan on putting the tint film on your windshield it shouldn't be a problem for after market Navigation that you mount on top of your dash and your radar detector (that you'll mount on your windshield).

If you are using the tinting just for privacy, the 3M film is a good product. If you want to reduce the amount heat build up inside of your car, then try products like Llumar. BTW, I use Llumar with no issues whatsoever.

Do you by chance use a V1 radar detector? If so, tint films with metallic substances to reduce heat transmission will degrade sensitivity of the the V1 to detect radar signals from the rear. I believe that this may be the only caveat.
you are forgetting one antenna, the am/fm one that is on the rear window. reception *may* be reduced with metallic tint. I'd say go ceramic, the heat rejection is way better than metallic and there's no intereference issues. dye-based film will fade quicker than the others and provides practically no heat rejection.

-felix
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I've got 3M.....
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='656581' date='Aug 29 2008, 05:50 AM
you are forgetting one antenna, the am/fm one that is on the rear window. reception *may* be reduced with metallic tint. I'd say go ceramic, the heat rejection is way better than metallic and there's no intereference issues. dye-based film will fade quicker than the others and provides practically no heat rejection.

-felix
I stand corrected!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='656554' date='Aug 28 2008, 03:16 PM

This is my first BMW, to be exact, it's my first european car. I have always own japs. This newly bought 528i has the "shark fin" on the roof. It has no Nav but has "stock" radio and satellite radio. I don't use radar detector now but I'm not ruling out buying one in the future. I intend to have all windows tinted (except the front windshield).

I'm curious if the Alta Mere's ProShield High Performance Series (http://www.altamere.com/services/window-tinting/) will have any interference to the radios and other signal receptions stuff on this 528i or not. It's one of the top film it carries. My local 3M window tint company is charging ridiculously high... about tripple of the price of the Alta Mere's ProShield High Performance Series. I just don't want to end up getting a bad stuff because it's inexpensive, or paying overly high for something that is just slightly better quality or same quality. Any advise?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

Aside from the great advise already given I would suggest you run like hell from "alta mere" or whatever. No where do they state that they are a tint manufacturer. They are a franchise installer and thats it. You are basically getting an unknown tint. One I've never heard of on the west coast.
Llumar axxess is a non-conductive tint that is very reasonable in price and available everywhere. I rate it much better than the 3m tints. check my posts for more info. Do a search for lots more info on tints and the sky is the limit on price. Huber Optic, Formula 1 and some others.

then of course there is the level of tint...
good luck

btw i believe cell phone signals degrade with metallic tints
Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='656827' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:16 PM
Aside from the great advise already given I would suggest you run like hell from "alta mere" or whatever. No where do they state that they are a tint manufacturer. They are a franchise installer and thats it. You are basically getting an unknown tint. One I've never heard of on the west coast.
Llumar axxess is a non-conductive tint that is very reasonable in price and available everywhere. I rate it much better than the 3m tints. check my posts for more info. Do a search for lots more info on tints and the sky is the limit on price. Huber Optic, Formula 1 and some others.

then of course there is the level of tint...
good luck

btw i believe cell phone signals degrade with metallic tints
I took my car to Alta Mere this morning and got the Proshield High Performance Series tint on it. It's a metalized and non-dyed film. All seem fine and no issue at all. Got it tinted with 15%, dark and nice looking. It's lifetime warranty too. Just can't justify to pay over $500 for 3M Crystalline window tint. This is the 3rd car I have sent to Alta Mere for window tinting.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Contributors

I've never used Proshield, but I'm sure that it is a good product. Enjoy your new 528i. I'm still waiting delivery for mine!

Quick Reply: Window Tint?