E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

will lowering your car and changing the shocks void bmw warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

might be a dumb question for you veteran members. just got my 2007 530i sports package. thinking about lowering it with H&R springs and koni yellow shocks and buying some 20" radenergies r10's. if I do all this to my car, will my dealer give me a hard time when i bring my car in for service under my 4 year/50k mile warrenty? I've been getting different answers from people. just wondering if anyone here had a problem with this?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by trigger52' post='287961' date='May 26 2006, 04:24 AM
hey guys,

might be a dumb question for you veteran members. just got my 2007 530i sports package. thinking about lowering it with H&R springs and koni yellow shocks and buying some 20" radenergies r10's. if I do all this to my car, will my dealer give me a hard time when i bring my car in for service under my 4 year/50k mile warrenty? I've been getting different answers from people. just wondering if anyone here had a problem with this?
I lowered my e-class with H&R springs and they never said anything. Most likely the same with BMW, i'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW im getting radenergies too when my car gets here, good choice! those rims are awesome
Old 05-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='288604' date='May 27 2006, 09:08 PM
I lowered my e-class with H&R springs and they never said anything. Most likely the same with BMW, i'm sure you'll be fine.

BTW im getting radenergies too when my car gets here, good choice! those rims are awesome
Shouldn't be a problem if you use high quality springs - I lowered mine and they never said anything.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

In most states in the US, the dealer will need to prove your mod caused the failure for them to deny the coverage. And they can only deny coverage for the damage caused by the aftermarket part.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='288634' date='May 28 2006, 01:23 AM
In most states in the US, the dealer will need to prove your mod caused the failure for them to deny the coverage. And they can only deny coverage for the damage caused by the aftermarket part.
So true!
Old 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by trigger52' post='287961' date='May 26 2006, 04:24 AM
hey guys,

Adding an after-market part will not void any part of a BMW warranty. However, if an after-market part causes the failure of a BMW part, then the part and labor needed for repair will not be covered.

To deny a warranty claim, all BMW has to do is to assert that an after-market part caused the problem with the OEM part--whether it did or not. BMW, like many manufacturers, is very adroit at arguing that problems with OEM parts are caused by after-market parts. Thus, I would not want to be in the position of having to take BMW to court to force the company to "prove" its point.

So, I won't install an after-market part that might be argued somewhat reasonably to have caused the failure of a BMW part unless the after-market manufacturer provides a warranty on the part and any BMW part that may fail because of the part (e.g., Dinan). Even then, one can get caught in the middle.

Personally, I would be especially hesitant to lower my car given that I am planning to use out-of-spec wheels in the first place--double especially if the after-market lowering-kit manufacturer does not provide the sort of warranty I mentioned above. Even then one might have problems all around because of out of spec wheels.

And, note that a dealer not mentioning the installation of an after-market part provides absolutely no assurance that a warranty claim will not be denied. A dealer is in no way obligated to mention the possible effects of installed after-market parts even if installed by the dealer. itself. An individual is expected, under the law, to know the warranty implications of any authorized work performed on his or her car.