E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Wich tyres are the best for 535D?
Continental Sportcontact2
21.05%
Michelin Pilot Sport2
36.84%
Good Year F1GSD3
18.42%
Bridgestone
23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Wich tyres are the best for 535D?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 AM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IDORU. howmuch did you pay? Interested in these myself...
Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

The difference is significant, and I feel the unwelcome expense (of which more later) was worth it. The combination of the RFTs, the M-Tech sports setup and 18" alloys was so bad that my wife and I seriously considered trading in the car for something else - we had owned it two months at that point. Around town the ride was appallingly choppy, you could feel every tiny bump and undulation in the road; at higher speeds there was very loud tyre roar and, again, the ride was extremely uncomposed. Worse, cornering and braking performance were in my opinion unacceptable - the car felt totally unplanted on the road, like I was driving with wooden wheels. Bear in mind I've got two small children, so it is not as though I was chucking the car about excessively...

Putting on the Contis has smoothed things out a lot, and they are also much, much quieter. The ride quality, while still pretty firm, is now similar to our previous 320d non-Sport Touring. I would prefer the extra-safety of the RFTs, but the technology is still not mature enough yet imho. Worth noting that the new tyres have a AA traction rating compared to the single A rating on the RFTs, and you can tell when driving - they hold the road significantly better.

The cost? I got a 4 for 3 deal via KwikFit, which I believe may now be discontinued - factor in a spare etc from a dealer (?150ish - double the factory cost, please note) and all in it cost about ?800. I certainly resent having to pay that, but at the same time I now have a car that drives like a BMW and not a covered wagon.

I believe KwikFit are currently doing the 4-3 deal on Michelin tyres... however the Contis are by common consent the most comfortable high performance tyre out there at the moment. I had initially thought of getting Michelin PS2s, but comments on various boards suggested the ride comfort would not improve as much as I'd have liked.

Hope all that helps.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005/02 BMW 535D with M-sportpacket Carbonschwarz-metallic, Profi Navi DVD, Bluetooth 6310i, Comfort Seats, Dakota Leather Black, Servotronic, Hi-fi, Park Distance Control, CD Changer, Individual High Gloss Shadowline, Alu Pure, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Glass Sun Roof, Heat Seating, Voice Recognition

We drive with our car 10.000 km in this two months.

We use the 535D with there tyres ca. 25.000 km and go with Conti!?

I see the M5 and M6 use Conti!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

How is that the US is getting their runflats replaced due to noise and excessive wear, yet everywhere else, the buyer is forced to pay out of pocket?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jun 2 2005, 06:08 PM
How is that the US is getting their runflats replaced due to noise and excessive wear, yet everywhere else, the buyer is forced to pay out of pocket?
[snapback]135490[/snapback]
The land of the lawyers...
Old 06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Yeah, god forbid they should take care of you for buying a $50K-$60K car. (or a string of them for that matter)

Not to mention we're talking about wear characteristics that are clearly out-of-spec to the point of near defect.

OTOH, maybe it's our famous American charm
Old 06-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport A - Dec 04. Titanium Silver. Nav Pro

Originally Posted by idoru' date='Jun 1 2005, 01:35 PM
The difference is significant, and I feel the unwelcome expense (of which more later) was worth it. The combination of the RFTs, the M-Tech sports setup and 18" alloys was so bad that my wife and I seriously considered trading in the car for something else - we had owned it two months at that point. Around town the ride was appallingly choppy, you could feel every tiny bump and undulation in the road; at higher speeds there was very loud tyre roar and, again, the ride was extremely uncomposed. Worse, cornering and braking performance were in my opinion unacceptable - the car felt totally unplanted on the road, like I was driving with wooden wheels.? Bear in mind I've got two small children, so it is not as though I was chucking the car about excessively...

Putting on the Contis has smoothed things out a lot, and they are also much, much quieter. The ride quality, while still pretty firm, is now similar to our previous 320d non-Sport Touring. I would prefer the extra-safety of the RFTs, but the technology is still not mature enough yet imho. Worth noting that the new tyres have a AA traction rating compared to the single A rating on the RFTs, and you can tell when driving - they hold the road significantly better.

The cost? I got a 4 for 3 deal via KwikFit, which I believe may now be discontinued - factor in a spare etc from a dealer (?150ish - double the factory cost, please note) and all in it cost about ?800. I certainly resent having to pay that, but at the same time I now have a car that drives like a BMW and not a covered wagon.

I believe KwikFit are currently doing the 4-3 deal on Michelin tyres... however the Contis are by common consent the most comfortable high performance tyre out there at the moment. I had initially thought of getting Michelin PS2s, but comments on various boards suggested the ride comfort would not improve as much as I'd have liked.

Hope all that helps.
[snapback]135054[/snapback]
What were your original tyres. I have Goodyear on 18" 135 tyres and I hate road/tyre noise. Considering changing to Conti or Michelin, but need some more comments from you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 AM
IMU
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jun 3 2005, 12:28 AM
[quote name='JBOO' date='Jun 2 2005, 06:08 PM']How is that the US is getting their runflats replaced due to noise and excessive wear, yet everywhere else, the buyer is forced to pay out of pocket?
[snapback]135490[/snapback]
The land of the lawyers...
[snapback]135622[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am a UK qualified lawyer

I may have go at seeing if I can wangle a new set - not that bothererd with my Goodyears they look and perform well - would just like to set a precedent following our US cousins!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport A - Dec 04. Titanium Silver. Nav Pro

Looking at the mytyres.co.uk and all their offerings for the 245/40 18" tyres. Every tyre has a link to road test (reifentest.com). It looks from the reviews that the quietest and most comfortable of them all are the Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats. Continental SportContact2, Michelin Sport PS2 and my existing Goodyear NTC Run Flats are roughly equal as far as the noise and comfort is concermed. Now, I'm confused. Is there anybody out there who has replaced the Goodyear RF for any thing elase RF on non RF and noticed a significant improvement re; noise and comfort?

BTW. The tests maybe bit general. From experience I know that different tyres perform differently on different cars. My previous car (MB 320 CDI) originally came on Bridgestone Potenza, it was so noisy and "hard" that I have replaced with the Dunlop 9000 to great effect. Hm... I'm a bit confused

Thanks,
Wlodek
Old 06-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wlodek' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:59 AM
Looking at the mytyres.co.uk and all their offerings for the 245/40 18" tyres. Every tyre has a link to road test (reifentest.com). It looks from the reviews that the quietest and most comfortable of them all are the Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats. Continental SportContact2, Michelin Sport PS2 and my existing Goodyear NTC Run Flats are roughly equal as far as the noise and comfort is concermed. Now, I'm confused. Is there anybody out there who has replaced the Goodyear RF for any thing elase RF on non RF and noticed a significant improvement re; noise and comfort?

BTW. The tests maybe bit general. From experience I know that different tyres perform differently on different cars. My previous car (MB 320 CDI) originally came on Bridgestone Potenza, it was so noisy and "hard" that I have replaced with the Dunlop 9000 to great effect. Hm... I'm a bit confused

Thanks,
Wlodek
[snapback]143149[/snapback]
From experience I know that different tyres perform differently on different cars.
wow!!! really?!?
J/k....
I heard only good things about michelin. So go for PS2