E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why am I rubbing?! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the KW Street Comfort Coilovers and I have rubbing happening in the front. I realize that KW states spacers may be required on these but I thought I'd be safe with my wheel set up...

Wheel specs are 19 x 8.5 et15 with 245/35 Dunlop Sport Maxx TT

Shop had to slap on a 5mm spacer bringing my front offset to 10MM...Seems crazy low??!! Or am I missing something? I am not a fan of spacers by the way, there is no vibration but I do hear a distinct wobble sound :thumbsdown:

Has anyone had experience with this suspension set up with similar wheels?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I heard you could possibly grind the spring perch????

Here's a quick pic.....

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Where are you rubbing? On the inside?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Where are you rubbing? On the inside?
Yes front insides, should have mentioned that, sorry...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

could be the sharp plastic piece that sticks out from where the front inside bumper meets the inside arch. This was where mine rubbed. After I cut it away (think its plastic) then it was much better.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
could be the sharp plastic piece that sticks out from where the front inside bumper meets the inside arch. This was where mine rubbed. After I cut it away (think its plastic) then it was much better.
It's definitely rubbing on spring/perch.... :thumbsdown:
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I have the same suspension and last winter when I was taking different measurements for my new summer wheel setup I noticed, that the front axle springs and lower spring plates are quite large on Street Comforts. However, your front wheel specs sound good to me. How's the camber in front?

- Antti -
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I have the same suspension and last winter when I was taking different measurements for my new summer wheel setup I noticed, that the front axle springs and lower spring plates are quite large on Street Comforts. However, your front wheel specs sound good to me. How's the camber in front?

- Antti -
I wasn't at the shop when they aligned, but they only mentioned the rear was adjusted to +/- factory camber...the front looks exactly the same as with factory suspension/wheels...there is no noticeable increase in negative camber. I believe the problem with the Street Comforts is not only that spring/perch/plates may be wider than most, but they sit lower in the wheel well, meaning as opposed to factory assembly which sits above the tire, this set up has components lower than top of the tire...

That being said I think I'm screwed and will have to run spacers up front...If you didn't already buy your summer wheels I would recommend you get the fronts with an offset of 10mm (for 8.5" width)...sounds crazy low right???!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by snapthejab
I wasn't at the shop when they aligned, but they only mentioned the rear was adjusted to +/- factory camber...the front looks exactly the same as with factory suspension/wheels...there is no noticeable increase in negative camber. I believe the problem with the Street Comforts is not only that spring/perch/plates may be wider than most, but they sit lower in the wheel well, meaning as opposed to factory assembly which sits above the tire, this set up has components lower than top of the tire...

That being said I think I'm screwed and will have to run spacers up front...If you didn't already buy your summer wheels I would recommend you get the fronts with an offset of 10mm (for 8.5" width)...sounds crazy low right???!!!
+1 I agree the spring and the plate sure sit lower on the wheel well.

The new summer setup has been ordered ages ago and the front wheel specs are even more aggressive than you suggested . However, I'm currently running 8.5x19 ET14 in front and I don't have any rubbing problems . The ride height is about the same as your car.

- Antti -
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
+1 I agree the spring and the plate sure sit lower on the wheel well.

The new summer setup has been ordered ages ago and the front wheel specs are even more agressive than you suggested . However, I'm currently running 8.5x19 ET14 in front and I don't have any rubbing problems . The ride height is about the same as your car.

- Antti -
So your current 14mm is 1mm more clearance than when I was rubbing at 15mm......

Do you think there is anything done during the installation of the suspension that could possibly cause positioning variances between the same suspension set up? Anyone?

Also what type of tires are you currently running? My dunlop sport maxx tt's seem quite square in the front, whereas the rears have a definite slightly stretched look...I'm losing it...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Contributors

I'm running 245/35 R19 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo.

I can check my clearance later tonight and report about it here...

Quick Reply: Why am I rubbing?! Please help!