E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

White Front Headlights instead of Amber...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if they make clear headlight reflectors instead of those hideous amber ones? I've been looking for them and I have yet to find anything about it...anyone know where I can go to get some?
Here's a pic...
Pic of Clear Headlights
Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Contributors

I am assuming you are in the US. The white ones are available in Non-US countries. If you wnat them that bad you will pay from 600 to 1,000 per unit for new ones or you can go on ebay and bid for them.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Or u could find someone in a non US Spec car with the hideous clear headlight reflectors and arrange a swap. But I know what u mean. I am just not willing to pay dearly for a minor annoyance and with some color combos they are not too bad.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

i hate the amber and am getting them changed when i order, its just too annoying when you are paying top$$ to have that loook, so i figure once you are spending this level of $$$, just go all the way

...besides on a black car the amber is nasty.... imho...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:07 AM
I am assuming you are in the US.? The white ones are available in Non-US countries.? If you wnat them that bad you will pay from 600 to 1,000 per unit for new ones or you can go on ebay and bid for them.
[snapback]137466[/snapback]
I haven't been able to find them on ebay you seen them on there?...also, I wouldn't have to replace the whole headlight right? They're just a detachable reflector on the inside right?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Pkorkis' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:33 PM
I haven't been able to find them on ebay you seen them on there?...also, I wouldn't have to replace the whole headlight right?? They're just a detachable reflector on the inside right?
[snapback]138077[/snapback]
bekkers had them, but i will get them through the dealer ....i believe you have to change the entire light assembly, thats why its about $2k for the pair
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Pkorkis' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:33 PM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:07 AM']I am assuming you are in the US.? The white ones are available in Non-US countries.? If you wnat them that bad you will pay from 600 to 1,000 per unit for new ones or you can go on ebay and bid for them.
I haven't been able to find them on ebay you seen them on there?...also, I wouldn't have to replace the whole headlight right? They're just a detachable reflector on the inside right?
[/quote]

They do not come as a separate piece....you have to get the complete headlight. It used to be a separate piece on other models (E36, E38, E46,etc.). But in the E39, X5, and other models after that the reflector was integrated behind the plastic cover that covered the entire headlight. At least with the E39 (even though you could not buy just the clear piece to replace the amber one),you could at least buy the entire European front cover/lens which incorporated the clear piece instead of the amber. It was more expensive than replacing the amber piece like the older models, but at least it was much cheaper than having to replace the entire headlight unit. Now with the E60 they don't even sell the front cover/lens as a separate piece, you HAVE TO get the entire headlight unit. Yes you could open up the headlight and possibly pry out the amber triangular section, but I think there is a hole under it which will look ugly.

So I decided to try and get some from eBay. You are right, there are none on eBay.com, but if you check on eBay.de (the German eBay site) there are always some there. You should search for "E60 scheinwerfer". I finally found a pair and won the auction a few weeks ago. I wire transfered the money to the seller, but he shipped the headlights using ground/boat shipping instead of Air . So it will probably take 4 to 6 weeks for me to receive it.

Here are a few things to watch out for if you do end up finding some on eBay.de:

1. Remember to look for the right type of light for your car. If you have halogens then look for halogens, and the same with Xenons.

2. One very important point to remember is that in the US all the Xenon headlights that come on E60's have the adaptive light option. However, many of the Xenons that people in Germany sell on eBay do not have the adaptive feature on them. Make sure you ask the seller before bidding (adaptive headlights is generally called "Kurvenlicht" in German).

3. The earlier production E60 headlights had a problem where the mounting brackets would brake. I have seen many headlights on eBay with broken mounting brackets...watch out for that.

4. Assuming you do find the exact type of headlight that you want (Xenon, adaptive, etc.), generally the sellers have only one side (Left or Right) but not both as a pair. I was lucky to find a seller that had a pair, but most only have one side. So you may have to buy the left and right headlights from different people.

5. Almost all the headlights are used and may have scratches, etc. The ones I bought are supposedly new, but I don't see how the seller could have sold me the new ones for the price I got it for and still have made a profit (unless he stole them from somewhere ) . So I'll believe it when I see it.

That's all I remember for now.....but I will post again when I receive and install my headlights. There are risks involved with this so you may not want to take the chance. For instance the seller has got my money and says that he has shipped the lights, but I have no proof. He said that the lights had the adaptive feature, but what if he lied or did not know what he was talking about., etc.

I am keeping my fingers crossed
Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Roady, I hope your clear headlights work out for you. If you ever want to sell your old ones, let me know!

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:33 AM
[quote name='Pkorkis' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:33 PM'][quote name='kigerka' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:07 AM']I am assuming you are in the US.? The white ones are available in Non-US countries.? If you wnat them that bad you will pay from 600 to 1,000 per unit for new ones or you can go on ebay and bid for them.
[/quote]

They do not come as a separate piece....you have to get the complete headlight. It used to be a separate piece on other models (E36, E38, E46,etc.). But in the E39, X5, and other models after that the reflector was integrated behind the plastic cover that covered the entire headlight. At least with the E39 (even though you could not buy just the clear piece to replace the amber one),you could at least buy the entire European front cover/lens which incorporated the clear piece instead of the amber. It was more expensive than replacing the amber piece like the older models, but at least it was much cheaper than having to replace the entire headlight unit. Now with the E60 they don't even sell the front cover/lens as a separate piece, you HAVE TO get the entire headlight unit. Yes you could open up the headlight and possibly pry out the amber triangular section, but I think there is a hole under it which will look ugly.

So I decided to try and get some from eBay. You are right, there are none on eBay.com, but if you check on eBay.de (the German eBay site) there are always some there. You should search for "E60 scheinwerfer". I finally found a pair and won the auction a few weeks ago. I wire transfered the money to the seller, but he shipped the headlights using ground/boat shipping instead of Air . So it will probably take 4 to 6 weeks for me to receive it.

Here are a few things to watch out for if you do end up finding some on eBay.de:

1. Remember to look for the right type of light for your car. If you have halogens then look for halogens, and the same with Xenons.

2. One very important point to remember is that in the US all the Xenon headlights that come on E60's have the adaptive light option. However, many of the Xenons that people in Germany sell on eBay do not have the adaptive feature on them. Make sure you ask the seller before bidding (adaptive headlights is generally called "Kurvenlicht" in German).

3. The earlier production E60 headlights had a problem where the mounting brackets would brake. I have seen many headlights on eBay with broken mounting brackets...watch out for that.

4. Assuming you do find the exact type of headlight that you want (Xenon, adaptive, etc.), generally the sellers have only one side (Left or Right) but not both as a pair. I was lucky to find a seller that had a pair, but most only have one side. So you may have to buy the left and right headlights from different people.

5. Almost all the headlights are used and may have scratches, etc. The ones I bought are supposedly new, but I don't see how the seller could have sold me the new ones for the price I got it for and still have made a profit (unless he stole them from somewhere ) . So I'll believe it when I see it.

That's all I remember for now.....but I will post again when I receive and install my headlights. There are risks involved with this so you may not want to take the chance. For instance the seller has got my money and says that he has shipped the lights, but I have no proof. He said that the lights had the adaptive feature, but what if he lied or did not know what he was talking about., etc.

I am keeping my fingers crossed
[snapback]138175[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for all the help Rody! How do you know all these German words? Since they really don't have much for sale on the ebay.com for E60's, I'm going to look at ebay.de, but I don't know a word of German...anywhere I can get translated websites? Thanks and post pics once you get your headlights!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

you can try this website for translation .

Quick Reply: White Front Headlights instead of Amber...