E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

where can i find a grill that is...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008 | 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

okay.. heres the deal.. ive seen a couple of cars with the grill in front black in the middle on the grill part.. but white around it.. to match the car.. i kinda like that look.. but do they come like that? or do i have to buy them all black and get them painted white around the outside? or shoudl i just stick with all black?.. i do like that CF look too.. but i like the white frame around it more.. help......
Old 05-15-2008 | 05:08 AM
Members

They are almost all painted. Mine's painted matt black with chrome center on my black sapphire metallic colour. I've seen alpine white kidney frame with chrome/black center, nice. Like they say 'what's your flava'
Old 05-15-2008 | 05:10 AM
Contributors

You'll have to paint it to achieve that look. Shouldnt be too difficult
Old 05-15-2008 | 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='581139' date='May 15 2008, 06:10 AM
+1, the grills are pretty easy to remove and mount. Think there are a few threads on DIY grill mods...GL
Old 05-15-2008 | 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Based on my personal experience, I'm not a fan of painted grilles. I bought the Hamann black grille to replace my silver colored one. I wanted to make my car's profile less attractive to laser speed enforcement devices.

Anyhow, I'll attach a pic of what it looks currently. As you can see, the paint has been chipped off by normal road debris. I've now had it installed for about 10 months or so, but it started looking awful after less than 6 months. I'm very disappointed with the Hamann paint job.

So, now I am about to test out a vinyl covered grille (see pic below), which I suspect (and hope) will fare much better. I had the vinyl wrap done by a company called Vinyl Styles. Lyle is the owner and was super helpful. As you can see, they work mainly on Minis. It cost me around $200 plus shipping, but he said that's on the high side. I had an all chrome grille and I wanted it all (including the slats) wrapped in black vinyl. At the time I thought it would probably be cheaper an easier than buying a partially black grille from a 530/525 and then having that wrapped around the edges. I was also admittedly too lazy to check into that option, and I had my old 545 grille lying around collecting dust.

I have to say that in person the vinyl grilles look awesome. You would never know or guess they are vinyl covered. The texture is smooth. It's not what I think of when I think of vinyl... very slick. BTW, the very small specs on the vinyl grilles are dust, not an imperfection. I received these back a few months ago, but the weather is just now getting to the point that I feel like messing with the car.

We'll see how they do after I get some other parts in and have time to fit them.
Attached Thumbnails where can i find a grill that is...-hamann_grille_chipped.jpg   where can i find a grill that is...-vinyl_grille_001.jpg   where can i find a grill that is...-vinyl_grille_002.jpg  
Old 05-15-2008 | 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='581139' date='May 15 2008, 09:10 AM

ok.. so ill have to buy them in matte black?? and then paint the frame?? i can find them on ebay i believe.. but how the hell do i paint it without it looking retarded!? or do i have it done somewhere? my car is alpine white. or geez man maybe i should go all black.. thanks guys.. mel
Old 05-15-2008 | 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by melimel' post='581363' date='May 15 2008, 03:02 PM
ok.. so ill have to buy them in matte black?? and then paint the frame?? i can find them on ebay i believe.. but how the hell do i paint it without it looking retarded!? or do i have it done somewhere? my car is alpine white. or geez man maybe i should go all black.. thanks guys.. mel
Hmm.... well, I have a few thoughts...

1. Contact Lyle at above website and ask him if he can do white vinyl.

2. Again, ask Lyle re: if you paint your grille white can he wrap the vertical parts only in black?

3. I'm not sure if you can take apart the center vertical bits from the surround area, but that may be worth investigating.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps a bit.
Old 05-15-2008 | 12:17 PM
Contributors

ok.. so heres another question.. ive been looking on ebay.. and i get confused i swear!!! i see some grills that are matte black.. which i DO like, but there only like 40 or 50 bucks.. and being so cheap that makes me nervous.. are they crap.. gonna fall apart? whats the dealy? and THEN...lol there are some that are the carbon fiber.. that are around 130 bucks..

will the matte cheap ones bubble up? or look like sh%t soon? or are they just cheaper...
Old 05-15-2008 | 02:50 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel' post='581413' date='May 15 2008, 04:17 PM
ok.. so heres another question.. ive been looking on ebay.. and i get confused i swear!!! i see some grills that are matte black.. which i DO like, but there only like 40 or 50 bucks.. and being so cheap that makes me nervous.. are they crap.. gonna fall apart? whats the dealy? and THEN...lol there are some that are the carbon fiber.. that are around 130 bucks..

will the matte cheap ones bubble up? or look like sh%t soon? or are they just cheaper...
My guess is that the cheapest black ones are just molded in black plastic and will actually hold up the best over time.
Old 05-15-2008 | 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by melimel' post='581132' date='May 15 2008, 04:41 PM
okay.. heres the deal.. ive seen a couple of cars with the grill in front black in the middle on the grill part.. but white around it.. to match the car.. i kinda like that look.. but do they come like that? or do i have to buy them all black and get them painted white around the outside? or shoudl i just stick with all black?.. i do like that CF look too.. but i like the white frame around it more.. help......

Painting would do the job

Quick Reply: where can i find a grill that is...