E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wheels vibration at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

You should be ok with the equipment you have (hub rings and Nitto tires). Like Rudy said, you need to have it balanced on a Hunter machine that does "ROAD FORCE" OR WHEEL INDEX". I'm not too sure of the correct term. I'm speaking from personal experience. Search the area for a high end wheel shop. STEVE/AXIS530.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If the road force balancer doesn't do the trick, ask about doing a "finish balance" -- again, I don't think that equipment is available everywhere...

Finish balancing is done while the wheel is attached to the car so you're including the entire wheel/hub/rotor assembly (even the lug nuts).
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The ABC.

Buy only high quality wheels from a brand that is BMW related.

Be sure that the measures (ET's, inches and bolt drifts) are right.

BMW OEM's are always a smart buy from the dealer.

Replicas will only make you buy a good a proper set - later. Save your money if you are not an expert.

Buy only high quality tyres from a tyreshouses that is reliable.

If you change the wheel size, line your new wheels at a BMW dealer that has the proper equipment.

A E60 is a sensitive high end car - not a Chevy/MoPar/Ford truck.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributors

I do not believe that the tires are the culprits. We do not see many people who complain about vibration right after changing their tires.

I had replica #166 wheels. They vibrated. I tested everything. I bought hubcentric rings (plastic, metal, etc.). I used hunter machines for balancing. I tried using duct tape with the hubcentric rings to ensure a snug fit. I read an article that stated that you had to spin the wheels slowly while tightening them (even with rings) to fix the problem. That did not work. I finally gave up.

I had General Exclaim tires on the replicas. Everyone told me that it must be the tires.

I bought OEM #166 wheels. I transferred the same tires, and the vibration stopped.

There is something really crazy about the hubcentric fit of any aftermarket wheel on the BMW.

I believe that BMW may intentionally try to deter the use of aftermarket wheels.

My strong suspicion is that there is something with the bolts and the fit of aftermarket wheels using certain types of bolts.

There is so much out there that could be causing this problem. From my experience, I am not sure that the tires are the problem.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Members

Well, the Nitto that I have right now is Nitto Extreme ZR, the shop that sold me those hubrings is a professional shop and the guy did measure before he sold me the rings. The weird thing is that vibration is not always there, I notice that if there are 5 people in the car then it's not vibrate or sometime only me in the car and it's smooth. I'm starting to think it is a tires that caused all this cause those experts at the shop did try everything they could and confirm that my wheels are ok, I don't think they used Hunter Road Force though. oh, they also said that Moven got bought over and will become BMW official aftermarket wheels maker like Brabus to Mercedes, not sure if it's true.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-BMW-BRS-...sspagenameZWDVW

this is what I have with Nitto tires.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Members

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&pid=426495

I bought this from Busta.