E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Are Wheel spacers a safety compromise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i

We offer both 15 and 20mm ARD spacers with bolts http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/B...e_Spacers.html

If you have any questions shoot us a pm

-Clay
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

I run 20mm spacers in the rear and the car tends to feel more solid in the rear through curves. I run my car some what hard once or twice a week , spirited driving , one thing I did notice was the front end sagging , or leaning to once side more then the rear. Obviously because I decreased the offset and made the car more stable in the rear with less body roll , spacers up front is a must imo , I plan on running some 10mm's up front ..

I'm running H&R spacers.

good luck!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Yeah bro, I've been running 12 mm front and 15 mm rear for a month and am very pleased with the widen stance, they really make a big difference. I have no choice but run spacers on my square setup and they are doing their job as desinged, plus they fillout the fender wells way better
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I just picked up a set of the pentagon-shaped ones today (Verstrasse) from Sonic MS. I'll have them on my car by the end of the week and will give my opinions on them. I hope they don't vibrate
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

Quick question for you spacer experts...I would like to run 3 or 5mm up front to push my tire flush with the fender. My current ET is 15 right now. From what I'm reading, since our E60 is hubcentric and the 3 or 5mm spacer is too thin to have the addition lip built on the the spacer, do we just put the spacer on the wheel hub and let the ro, rest on the wheel hub also? If so, then there is a bit less room for the rim to rest on due to the thickness of the spacer. I assume this set up is OK since some are running this thickness up front. Just want to confirm if there is any problem before I proceed.

Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

To OP, and anyone else, let me just confirm what has been said already - Turner Motorsport spacers, 12.5mm with extended bolts, had them for more than a year without any problems at all. Excellent spacer, btw

I know OP already got spacers, but other people may find this useful
Originally Posted by tprenaldo
The only thing with the longer wheel bolts is that I don't know if you can get wheel locks with the longer wheel bolts! Does anyone know
AFAIK there's no issue with that, unless you get 15mm or bigger spacers - maybe I'm wrong and someone on here will correct me?

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Quick question for you spacer experts...I would like to run 3 or 5mm up front to push my tire flush with the fender. My current ET is 15 right now. From what I'm reading, since our E60 is hubcentric and the 3 or 5mm spacer is too thin to have the addition lip built on the the spacer, do we just put the spacer on the wheel hub and let the ro, rest on the wheel hub also? If so, then there is a bit less room for the rim to rest on due to the thickness of the spacer. I assume this set up is OK since some are running this thickness up front. Just want to confirm if there is any problem before I proceed.

Thanks guys
TMS spacers have a center "ridge" that the wheels mount to, exactly like the original hub. Are you sure you're clear on the difference between hubcentric rings and spacers? Rings do not change your offsets, only spacers do.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

May be I phrased it wrong since I'm not sure about the terminology of these parts but I do know the difference between the spacer and hub ring. In fact I'm currently running hub ring on my front wheels right now since it's 74.1 but rear is 72.5.

Let me attempt this one more time...spacer sits on the hub lip then rims installed onto the spacer lip but that only works if the spacer is thick enough to have the lip built on. What happen in cases where the spacer is only 3mm. The spacer will be installed onto the hub lip then the rim but the lip itself is 3mm less due to the thickness of the spacer. Would this cause any problem since I'm running hub ring also.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

May be I phrased it wrong since I'm not sure about the terminology of these parts but I do know the difference between the spacer and hub ring. In fact I'm currently running hub ring on my front wheels right now since it's 74.1 but rear is 72.5.

Let me attempt this one more time...spacer sits on the hub lip then rims installed onto the spacer lip but that only works if the spacer is thick enough to have the lip built on. What happen in cases where the spacer is only 3mm. The spacer will be installed onto the hub lip then the rim but the lip itself is 3mm less due to the thickness of the spacer. Would this cause any problem since I'm running hub ring also.

Thanks

I know exactly what you're asking. I was concerned about issues/vibrations etc. Owner assued me 10+ mm wouldn't be problem b/c spacers have lip/ridge for wheel to mount on. He advised againt 3 or 5 mm exactly for the reason you mentioned, they were too thin and do not have lips/ridge to mount wheel on, wheel will be mounted on original ridge from car resulting in less ridge mount and would cause problems, I forget his exact words.

I bot my spacers from Bavarian Exclusive in Brea CA btw. Great price and service, free install, didnt need to break sweat. They applied anti-seize to reduce sticking when need to be taken off. My front wheels are 20 offset so with 12 mm spacers, still retain 8mm offset, but can hear a slight rub on front tires (currently on soft setting on PSS10) at 40 mph+ speed with good dips on 1.75" drop and fenders slightly rolled with. If you are on OEM suspension, 10 mm will work as they have lips for hubcentric fit and use longer lug nuts.

I also want update impression of RSD spacers, before and after. Had them for a month.

Before spacers added, cornering was loose, lost grip (compared to staggered 245/35/20 275/35/20 Hankooks V12). Tires squeel, no traction and embarassing.

With spacers, wheels almost flushed to fenders, stance is great. But the surprising benefit (to me anyway) was cornering confidence is reagained once again, I'd say 8.5/10 for cornering grip compared to staggered HKs, whereas 4/10 rated w/o spacers using same wheels/tires. Car is more stable too. There's 1 or cons, but mostly pros. Very satisfied.

HTH

Here's a pix
Are Wheel spacers a safety compromise?-img_1010.jpg
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Thanks

Originally Posted by G530
I know exactly what you're asking. I was concerned about issues/vibrations etc. Owner assued me 10+ mm wouldn't be problem b/c spacers have lip/ridge for wheel to mount on. He advised againt 3 or 5 mm exactly for the reason you mentioned, they were too thin and do not have lips/ridge to mount wheel on, wheel will be mounted on original ridge from car resulting in less ridge mount and would cause problems, I forget his exact words.
You are both right about the issue. The 3mm or 5mm spacers are so thin that they can't have their own lip for the wheel to be centered. The original lip of the car will stick through the spacer. I've used 5mm spacers for 3 winters with my winter wheels (ex-setup )and NEVER had a slightest problem with this combination . The wheels were the OEM style 135 8x18 ET20.

- Antti -
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by G530

I bot my spacers from Bavarian Exclusive in Brea CA btw. Great price and service, free install, didnt need to break sweat. They applied anti-seize to reduce sticking when need to be taken off. My front wheels are 20 offset so with 12 mm spacers, still retain 8mm offset, but can hear a slight rub on front tires (currently on soft setting on PSS10) at 40 mph+ speed with good dips on 1.75" drop and fenders slightly rolled with. If you are on OEM suspension, 10 mm will work as they have lips for hubcentric fit and use longer lug nuts.

I also want update impression of RSD spacers, before and after. Had them for a month.

Before spacers added, cornering was loose, lost grip (compared to staggered 245/35/20 275/35/20 Hankooks V12). Tires squeel, no traction and embarassing.

With spacers, wheels almost flushed to fenders, stance is great. But the surprising benefit (to me anyway) was cornering confidence is reagained once again, I'd say 8.5/10 for cornering grip compared to staggered HKs, whereas 4/10 rated w/o spacers using same wheels/tires. Car is more stable too. There's 1 or cons, but mostly pros. Very satisfied.

HTH

Here's a pix
Attachment 125702
+1 I also felt improved handling after mounting spacers in the back. Though improvement might be more subtle, since I've got AWD.

Quick Reply: Are Wheel spacers a safety compromise?