E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Hey Guys,

This was talked about a little back in the earlier days of the forum but I haven't seen it mentioned much lately. The wheels seem to be pushed in much too far as compared to the wheel well, especially the rears.

I've been considering getting spacers from H&R but am conflicted on the sizes. I was thinking either:

5mm front, 12mm rear

-OR-

10mm front, 15mm rear

Has anyone done this and do you have any recommendations? I believe the 10mm front and 15mm rear will put the wheels nearly flush with the wheel wells but that might push them out "too much" for me.

I guess its a personal choice, but, any comments?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Just adding a reply to my own post... I went out and measured the actual space between the wheels and the and the wheel wells. There's 20mm space in front and a 30mm space in the rear.

I'm thinking now that the 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers would be a better choice. That'll push out the wheels and still leave ~10mm clearance as is recommended by two different articles I read.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:28 PM
Just adding a reply to my own post... I went out and measured the actual space between the wheels and the and the wheel wells. There's 20mm space in front and a 30mm space in the rear.

I'm thinking now that the 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers would be a better choice. That'll push out the wheels and still leave ~10mm clearance as is recommended by two different articles I read.
[snapback]115356[/snapback]
Pmmeke brought up a similar question on the Parts/Accessories board - thread 'Question about 19inch wheel/ suspension'.
Not a lot of reaction. I have no experience on it, but am interested myself since I've noticed the same thing as you mentioned.

Hope to see some reaction from those with experience.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

I had to use Rogue Engineering 15mm wheel spacers in my front wheels because the wheels came out of an M3 and they did not fit, they used to rub against the front shocks. With the wheel spacers they fit nicely
Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Contributors

I have H&R wheel spacers on the rear of my car. It makes a big difference in appearance and feel. I recommend them. I only have 12mm in the rear.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:52 AM
I have H&R wheel spacers on the rear of my car.? It makes a big difference in appearance and feel.? I recommend them.? I only have 12mm in the rear.
[snapback]115640[/snapback]
Thanks Kigerka. Will probably go for 12mm as well for the rear tyres. Considering 10mm for the front, as there seems to be some consensus on that.
Actually, you posted some pictures last year July on the Parts/Access/Mods board, http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...44&hl=pictures .
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joel_BE' date='Apr 15 2005, 09:27 AM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:52 AM']I have H&R wheel spacers on the rear of my car.? It makes a big difference in appearance and feel.? I recommend them.? I only have 12mm in the rear.
Thanks Kigerka. Will probably go for 12mm as well for the rear tyres. Considering 10mm for the front, as there seems to be some consensus on that.
Actually, you posted some pictures last year July on the Parts/Access/Mods board, http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...44&hl=pictures .
[snapback]115659[/snapback]
[/quote]

I will probably instal some spacers. When i go visit Heinz they have models to messure the correct size i can add without running into problems. I will keep you guys posted
Old 04-15-2005, 01:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Apr 15 2005, 10:56 AM
[quote name='joel_BE' date='Apr 15 2005, 09:27 AM'][quote name='kigerka' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:52 AM']I have H&R wheel spacers on the rear of my car.? It makes a big difference in appearance and feel.? I recommend them.? I only have 12mm in the rear.
[/quote]

I will probably instal some spacers. When i go visit Heinz they have models to messure the correct size i can add without running into problems. I will keep you guys posted
[snapback]115672[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tx, Pmmeke.
I read a comment from another belgian poster who mentioned that this is not allowed in Belgium. But there's many things like that of course...
Just would like to know if you would take the car to the inspection with the spacers, whether there would be an issue. I guess your tuner Heinz will have the answer to that one as well.
Personally, I've got 4 months or so anyway, before I need to know. But I am sure more readers will be interested in yr feedback.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joel_BE' date='Apr 15 2005, 11:42 AM
[quote name='pmmeke' date='Apr 15 2005, 10:56 AM'][quote name='joel_BE' date='Apr 15 2005, 09:27 AM'][quote name='kigerka' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:52 AM']I have H&R wheel spacers on the rear of my car.? It makes a big difference in appearance and feel.? I recommend them.? I only have 12mm in the rear.
[/quote]

[snapback]115672[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tx, Pmmeke.
I read a comment from another belgian poster who mentioned that this is not allowed in Belgium. But there's many things like that of course...
Just would like to know if you would take the car to the inspection with the spacers, whether there would be an issue. I guess your tuner Heinz will have the answer to that one as well.
Personally, I've got 4 months or so anyway, before I need to know. But I am sure more readers will be interested in yr feedback.
[snapback]115676[/snapback]
[/quote]

I took my E39 6 times to inspection and nobody sayd anything but every year i hear they will make a fuss out of it and i am sure some day someone at the inspection will say something about it.If they do , i will take them out for 1 day: no prob cost: 4o euro to do part of the inspection again. Not a big deal.

With this car beeing new , its no wurry for now as i have 4 years left before inspection
Old 04-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Wow, good searching. It looks so much better. It brings them out to help match the front. That is why I ddin't touch the front at all. If you can't get the spacers in Belgium for whatever reason, I will gladly order them for you.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers