E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wheel size vs ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Style Over Comfort
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bluestreak
Thanks for the replies, after looking at a ton of different wheels I "think" I am going with 18" F10 M5 replica wheels when I am ready because of all the tire choices (something I didnt look into before). I couldn't find a "all season" tire that would work with the 19" wheels, but there are a lot of really nice rated 245/40/18 tires that are all seasonal that work with the 18's.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a high performance all season tire that is soft, quiet, and has a 50k mile warranty. Might give it a look. My dad has them on his vehicle and they're pretty descent. Pretty good "all around" tire that is available in a lot of sizes.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Members

Well, there's going to be a big difference in one area that hasn't been mentioned. First, my experience would be that the change in ride harshness switching from 17 to 19 will not bother you at all. The natural increase in stiffness from the shorter sidewalls will be offset a fair bit by getting rid of the run-flats, which ride like stones. Net change, not so much.

Here's the thing you need to weigh into the mix, though - your odds on tire and rim destruction in Michigan are way greater with 19s compared to 17s. It will happen to you, trust me on that - I can nearly give you a guarantee if you drive in Southeast Michigan and the rest of the state isn't much better.

You need some tire between your wheels and the road here. I'd suggest going no more than 18s and upsizing slightly from stock on the tire - and buy the road hazard warranty. Or maybe leave the snows on until July when most of the massive potholes will be patched. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi M5tech body kit/rpi exhaust/Orion V4's

Originally Posted by JWMich
Well, there's going to be a big difference in one area that hasn't been mentioned. First, my experience would be that the change in ride harshness switching from 17 to 19 will not bother you at all. The natural increase in stiffness from the shorter sidewalls will be offset a fair bit by getting rid of the run-flats, which ride like stones. Net change, not so much.

Here's the thing you need to weigh into the mix, though - your odds on tire and rim destruction in Michigan are way greater with 19s compared to 17s. It will happen to you, trust me on that - I can nearly give you a guarantee if you drive in Southeast Michigan and the rest of the state isn't much better.

You need some tire between your wheels and the road here. I'd suggest going no more than 18s and upsizing slightly from stock on the tire - and buy the road hazard warranty. Or maybe leave the snows on until July when most of the massive potholes will be patched. Good luck.
Very good to know! I currently do NOT have runflats, so the harshness will def be greater when I make the switch then if I currently had them. I've decided that I am going to go with 18" wheels and sacrifice some fashion for function. The roads here are just to rough for me to go 19's. The tire size i've been considering are 245/40/18's not sure if I could do a bigger side wall though? For tires the Pirelli P Zero Nero & Continental ExtremeContact DWS are really speaking to me! They are both about the same price and all seasonal. Great reviews on both from what i've seen
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by xoeightx
Style Over Comfort
+1

Luckily the roads are not bad out where I live. The key is making sure you don't get new chromed out 20lbs heavier wheels. The heavier your wheel/tire setup is the worst your ride will be.