E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

what are my steering wheel options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to create a new thread about this because I know i have seen the topic discussed before but for some reason I can't seem to find it with the search function so could you all be so kind to help me out. I want to update the look of my steering wheel I have an 04 standard wheel, I was hoping I could put on one of those sport wheels with paddle shift is it possible? I think i read somewhere that changes will have to be made to modify newer year models to fit my car and I think i also remember reading that its possible to run a wire from the paddle shifts to the gear shift but that may have been for a sport sat electronic transmition. I don't know the true facts about what is do able and not do able in my case can you guys clarify for me?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

This is the complete one stop shop option for you. http://www.motivemods.com/BMWRetrofi...-p/mm-pa-1.htm

You could also source the parts yourself, just remember you need a pre 9/05 sport steering wheel, and get the kit from them. I recommend checking the classified sections over at m5board, bimmerfest and bimmerforums for a wheel. Also don't forget about ebay.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

yep
ROGER ROCKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GOOD LUCK...
i had john do the install and ROGER SEND ME ALL THE PARTS..

so much fun to drive
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really cool.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the info guys this is exactly what I needed, the mod will be expensive if i get all the parts from motive mods they charge about 900 bucks for a sports wheel , trim pieces, and paddles alone then add the 400 for the actual retrofit kit and I would still have to find an airbag. I'm going to take your advice and check the various sites maybe for a used wheel and trim pieces for a pre 05 car but i know they will be hard to find especially with an airbag and also for those year models they didn't come with the paddle shifters so i know I definitely have to get that from motive mods. My question is what is the difference between the sports wheel and the m wheel?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

One more question I've been searching online for a used m5 wheel for a pre 09/05 car I see some have the paddle shifters while others don't... What is the standard which year m5 cars came with the paddle shifters. I noticed some people say they added the paddles afterwards how do you know which wheels can accept the paddles after the fact.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Damn interesting with the paddles
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by spediegunz
I hate to create a new thread about this because I know i have seen the topic discussed before but for some reason I can't seem to find it with the search function so could you all be so kind to help me out. I want to update the look of my steering wheel I have an 04 standard wheel, I was hoping I could put on one of those sport wheels with paddle shift is it possible? I think i read somewhere that changes will have to be made to modify newer year models to fit my car and I think i also remember reading that its possible to run a wire from the paddle shifts to the gear shift but that may have been for a sport sat electronic transmition. I don't know the true facts about what is do able and not do able in my case can you guys clarify for me?
I would wrap the two pieces of your steering wheel in carbon fiber.. oe just buy the trim
Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: e60, 335d, 09yr, shadowline, full options. e63, 645csi, 05yr, shadowline, full options. Sold

Last week I bought the original m5 steering wheel with the paddle shift. It is worth every penny.
Downside to that - got pulled over for speeding three times this weekend. I would say it is a must-have option.

Install is really easy. Have DIY somewhere if you need, but run a quick search in this forum and you should find it.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mantelis
Last week I bought the original m5 steering wheel with the paddle shift. It is worth every penny.
Downside to that - got pulled over for speeding three times this weekend. I would say it is a must-have option.

Install is really easy. Have DIY somewhere if you need, but run a quick search in this forum and you should find it.

Good luck!
Where did you find it? Was it new or used

Quick Reply: what are my steering wheel options?