E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What mods to speed up my 2006 525i?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
Ordered a 2006 525i and the delivery is set for December. The car has a sport pack,premium pack,navigation pack, adaptive xenon headlights, active steering,logic 7 hk, and sport seats. The color is silver gray on auburn and the car is a six speed manuel.
Now I test drove the car twice and the speed was fine but i'm worried that it just won't be enough. Now I have posted other threads regarding these issues and why i chose a 525i and not a 530i ($$$$) but I would like to know if there's any mods I can do to the car that will make it faster without having to spend thousands of dollars...
I have always had pretty fast cars and so that's why I am a bit worried. My car now that I am giving back is a volvo s60 t5 2004 which is actually pretty quick. I had a volvo c70 before that.
Now I'm 26 years old and so speed in some form is kind of an issue. Again I don't need a monster just something that's peppy enough to cut cars off when i feel like it and even stand a chance in some sort of a fun race here and there...
I am not the type of guy that likes to completely modify my car and make it look like some sort of rocket or what not.... I basically will slap on some tints, get some rims and that's it. But I would love to know if there's anything I can do under the hood that will make the car faster or at least achieve something close to the 2006 530i or even the 550i
And not spend to much money...
I have found these forums and the people in them to be very helpful and nice and any help you can give me while waiting till December for the car will be amazing.
Thank you all very much
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by youyou' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:31 AM
...I would like to know if there's any mods I can do to the car that will make it faster without having to spend thousands of dollars...
[snapback]175361[/snapback]
No!

All mods that make a NOTICEABLE difference are expensive!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:35 PM
[quote name='youyou' date='Sep 27 2005, 12:31 AM']...I would like to know if there's any mods I can do to the car that will make it faster without having to spend thousands of dollars...
No!

All mods that make a NOTICEABLE difference are expensive!
[snapback]175364[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya basically everything is expensive for these cars but still even with the money would won;t be able to get up to a 550 maybe a 530 but def not a 550.. i mean exhaust.. intake.. supercharger?? thats mad money right there.. I would jsut do an exhaust nicer sound and a little more thrust..
Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by youyou' date='Sep 26 2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Ordered a 2006 525i and the delivery is set for December. The car has a sport pack,premium pack,navigation pack, adaptive xenon headlights, active steering,logic 7 hk, and sport seats. The color is silver gray on auburn and the car is a six speed manuel.
Now I test drove the car twice and the speed was fine but i'm worried that it just won't be enough. Now I have posted other threads regarding these issues and why i chose a 525i and not a 530i ($$$$) but I would like to know if there's any mods I can do to the car that will make it faster without having to spend thousands of dollars...
I have always had pretty fast cars and so that's why I am a bit worried. My car now that I am giving back is a volvo s60 t5 2004 which is actually pretty quick. I had a volvo c70 before that.
Now I'm 26 years old and so speed in some form is kind of an issue. Again I don't need a monster just something that's peppy enough to cut cars off when i feel like it and even stand a chance in some sort of a fun race here and there...
I am not the type of guy that likes to completely modify my car and make it look like some sort of rocket or what not.... I basically will slap on some tints, get some rims and that's it. But I would love to know if there's anything I can do under the hood that will make the car faster or at least achieve something close to the 2006 530i or even the 550i? ? ?
And not spend to much money...
I have found these forums and the people in them to be very helpful and nice and any help you can give me while waiting till December for the car will be amazing.
Thank you all very much
Well, short of bolting on a supercharger (or a turbo kit) you're not going to get 530/550 performance numbers.

In increasing order of $$$, here are some options to consider:

1. CAI
2. Exhaust
3. Lighter wheels (to reduce unsprung weight)
4. New differential (this can be really expensive and I don't believe most tuners have had enough R&D lead time to develop one for the E60 yet)

Good luck and enjoy your ride -- stock, or otherwise.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Members

Ok so basically nothing much to do unless i want to spend lots of $$$...
How much would a supercharger cost? And is it really worth it? And wat is CAI ?
Oh and i was kidding about the 550i...lol.. But the 530i does have the same engine so i figured...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

i went with a Supercharger which added 6.0PSI and made the car 331HP along with a ACS exhaust and once the DMS remapping is complete it will be around 360Hp. But the supercharger was 5500.00 Installed well worth the money...I beat 545i's have not raced a 550 yet but should be right there... I plan to dyno it after the remappin is complete

The VF supercharger will be released to the public at months end..I was one of the test cars on the Unit.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Members

WOW!!! 360 horses!!!
Although everything you just explained seems a bit blurry to me. I'm sorry i am not very familiar with the terms.
Does the supercharger harm the car in any way? Does it void the warranty? Is it a really big job? And I will be getting a 525i not a 530i will that make a difference?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:13 PM
i went with a Supercharger which added 6.0PSI and made the car 331HP along with a ACS exhaust and once the DMS remapping is complete it will be around 360Hp.? But the supercharger was 5500.00 Installed well worth the money...I beat 545i's? have not raced a 550 yet but should be right there... I plan to dyno it after the remappin is complete

The VF supercharger will be released to the public at months end..I was one of the test cars on the Unit.
[snapback]175385[/snapback]
I thought that you said your remap was going to be done last Friday...

Did that not go as planned?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 26 2005, 07:14 PM
[quote name='DINAN530i' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:13 PM']i went with a Supercharger which added 6.0PSI and made the car 331HP along with a ACS exhaust and once the DMS remapping is complete it will be around 360Hp.? But the supercharger was 5500.00 Installed well worth the money...I beat 545i's? have not raced a 550 yet but should be right there... I plan to dyno it after the remappin is complete

[snapback]175385[/snapback]
I thought that you said your remap was going to be done last Friday...

Did that not go as planned?
[snapback]175422[/snapback]
[/quote]
no its been a nightmare for me so far...they pulled my ECU and have my car since Sat. Friday he came and said he needed to bring the car in his shop. Now my car is in the DMS shop he is waiting fort RObert to come from UK to finish the car..should be done by this friday....RObert is said to be the DMS BMW tuner expert..SO i will keep u posted on it....
Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:42 PM
no its been a nightmare for me so far...they pulled my ECU and have my car since Sat.? Friday he came and said he needed to bring the car in his shop.? Now my car is in the DMS shop he is waiting fort RObert to come from UK to finish the car..should be done by this friday....RObert is said to be the DMS BMW tuner expert..SO i will keep u posted on it....
[snapback]175435[/snapback]
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: What mods to speed up my 2006 525i?