E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What a difference a day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hey penetta! You stole my idea for an avatar!! (Then again, if I had done it first, you'd be accusing me of stealing your idea! )

Looks great man! I do have a plan B -- when I get the time....
Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used that shot for wallpaper on three computers the six months that I was waiting for my car.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Yes, I wanted this avatar for awhile and thought I saw it somewhere in one of BMW NA's brochures or website. But finally it was just easier to photo it.
According to a BMW NA rep I met at the BMW preview via the BMW CCA at the 2004 Auto Show in NYC was stated as the following. The reason the red rear reflectors are legal on other BMW (3 series etc) and not currently on the 5 is because BMW NA did not get Department of Transportation approval in time for US sales. He intimated, but would not actually say, that they will be on the 2005's.
Maybe thats why my dealer gave them to me, the DOT might have approved them already but BMW NA is waiting for the '05 model to put them into US production.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Very interesting.. did he also tell you why they made them black and not the bodycolour.. It must have been a moneything but it looks just so cheap.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Guys,

The dealers are currently selling the red reflectors for 11.00 bucks a piece. My dealer had a whole bunch in stock cause everyone is buying them. It was also on the front page of a binder they had at the parts department, cause they know they will make money off of us by selling lots of them.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by bklyn545' date='Aug 7 2004, 07:28 PM
Guys,

The dealers are currently selling the red reflectors for 11.00 bucks a piece. My dealer had a whole bunch in stock cause everyone is buying them. It was also on the front page of a binder they had at the parts department, cause they know they will make money off of us by selling lots of them.
I can't believe it. If BMW found out that US owners purchase the red reflectors, why don't they start putting them on the E60's as a standard ? And it's not about money, since the black insert costs money too...
Unbelievable...
Poor job, BMW, poor job...
Old 08-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Well, they are out to make money. It is sad but they will make a few extra bucks.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

We aren't talking big money here.. maybe they get 10 bucks a pair.. lets say they sell a 100.. They will make a 1000 bucks.... I say that isn't much money for a dealer...
Old 08-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Let's say BMW sells 100,000 over the years..
Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Contributors

I don't know if they sell that kind of cars in the us..... Let's say they increase the price of a car with 50 bucks.. what would that do... and include the rear reflectors, they would make double the money and everyone would still buy their cars.. I say it isn't a way for them to make extra money.. There are easier ways to do that.

Quick Reply: What a difference a day...