E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What is the BEST body kit material IYO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 M5

Hi,

I've found a very interesting post in some other (non-BMW) Forum that explained the differences between the available Body Kit materials. ( Modcarclub.com )

However, that post does not have any "real life user feedback", so I don't really know what's the best choice, considering each material's PROs & CONs?
Even though PU has supposedly better fitment than Fiberglass, Fiberglass seems to be the material of choice (probably b/c it's the least expensive to manufacture ?). However, attributes like "brittle, easily crack on impact; left and right side might not be symmetrical"... FG may be the most affordable, but these characteristics don't sound good to me.

So... what's YOUR real-world experience with your Fiberglass, PU, PP+PE and ABS Body Kits... as far as looks, fitment, longevity, repair choices/repair costs etc. are concerned?

(Note: I'm not really interested in brands or retailers yet; just want to figure out the best material first)

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

To me it's simple, you either pay now or later.

Fiberglass when impacted will crack and not scuff like polyu, so you can't just get it repainted and repair it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
To me it's simple, you either pay now or later.

Fiberglass when impacted will crack and not scuff like polyu, so you can't just get it repainted and repair it.
Thanks, nomis_nehc, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Let's see if some more folks have an opinion in this matter...

So.... leaving Fiberglass out of the equation, what's the best material then? PU (Polyurethane), PE (Polyethylene), PP (Polypropylene), ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)..?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZGERMAN
Thanks, nomis_nehc, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Let's see if some more folks have an opinion in this matter...

So.... leaving Fiberglass out of the equation, what's the best material then? PU (Polyurethane), PE (Polyethylene), PP (Polypropylene), ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)..?
What about "Duraflex"?
Supposedly, it's [Quote] "a revolutionary product which combines the advantages of fiberglass, plastic, and flex resins to obtain its unique features." [Unquote]

What's your experience with Duraflex in terms of stiffness, repair-ability, fitment etc.? I believe some of this board's sponsors have "Duraflex" materials in their lineup, and I certainly don't question their products. However, I'd rather pay some more for a better fitting/longer lasting/more "forgiving" material - leaving out ($$$) Carbon Fiber altogether - than taking the "cheap route" (and pay the price for it later)...

What do you think?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

One more thing to consider... You've also got to take into account who made the original plug & mold of the body part you're buying, regardless of material. If the mold's fitment is off, the 1000's of parts they reproduce off of it will be too. Case in point: the notorious "too short" sideskirt issue we've seen on the boards here.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I rather stick with the PU material because most body shops can use heat to reform them easier. As for fit, the tolerances are only off by a few mm vs oem. I rather go with something that can fit you pocket finances. Fiberglass is just to much of a specialized product.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Duraflex is FRP - basically fiberglass reinforced that is about as brittle as the original, crappy ultimate longevity.

Our experience is very simple, the PP bumpers are as resilient and flexible as ABS, just as paintable, and are not as expensive.

We used to sell some FRP/FG parts early on and found that they don't work well for our applications. Not all PP is created equal and there are really on a few companies that do it well. We are lucky to have found one of those companies.

As for ABS that tends to be the best and most expensive and not recommended due to price only (found on OEM) - you get 95% of the ABS properties with PP in real world (not test lab) applications.

EDIT:
For example, to concur with what was stated above. the MOLD is the key, if the mold is good, the material will be easier to work with. Our kits that we sell, strangely, look like the exact same mold CAD design as the factory - same exact spots where the mold cut outs are done - so that is a key contributor as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by constant
One more thing to consider... You've also got to take into account who made the original plug & mold of the body part you're buying, regardless of material. If the mold's fitment is off, the 1000's of parts they reproduce off of it will be too. Case in point: the notorious "too short" sideskirt issue we've seen on the boards here.

I thought replicas should be 95% of the original (total fitment, materials, color, etc...)in order for them to be legal. Otherwise they would be "counterfiets" and could be sued if they look and fit 100% (like a replica w or w\o the BMW logo).
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

it's 90% and that's not applicable since it doesn't use neither the BMW part numbering, BMW logo, nor the same material.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Members

That's great info, you guys... thanks much for sharing!!

So, umnitza... what's up with the $800 M5Tech body kit special in your post?

Did you put that in your sig just for me... LOL? It has my name written allover, so it seems, and might just be what I am looking for.
Can you share some details about this special, and will it fit my 2007 530i w/ Sports Package (no PDC)? What's the material it's made of?

- Thx!

Quick Reply: What is the BEST body kit material IYO?