E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Weekend Project(Halo)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi Stock for the moment!!

This weekend I decided to retrofit the MTEC-V3's into my 2008 non LCI headlights. Wasn't as bad as I thought, but well worth it.... Here are a few pics..
Attached Thumbnails Weekend Project(Halo)-halo.jpg   Weekend Project(Halo)-halo-1.jpg   Weekend Project(Halo)-halo-2.jpg   Weekend Project(Halo)-halo-3.jpg   Weekend Project(Halo)-halo-4.jpg  

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

pics!!! i wanna see the results
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

I just finished doing the same thing! I have Non-Xenon (Halogen) LCI Headlights.

I was gonna write up my own DIY, but I'll just add to your thread.

Cutting the bulb holders is a little tricky if you don't have a good way to grip them. I used a Dremel Oscillating Saw + some vice grips to cut them off.

For those curious, this is the reason why you need to cut the original bulb holders:

The metal part you see above the LED bulb is a piece inside the headlight that the AE bulb goes into. As you see, the MTEC bulb is too long to fit in there. By cutting and then gluing the holder, you're extending the part that latches in down a bit more so that it'll be able to screw into the metal holder.

I first tried gluing them with some two-part epoxy and then some hot glue.. but that didn't work that well. I scraped that off, and came back with some Gorilla Glue. Let that dry overnight, and I just installed them a few hours ago.

Looking great so far
Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricapar
I just finished doing the same thing! I have Non-Xenon (Halogen) LCI Headlights.

I was gonna write up my own DIY, but I'll just add to your thread.

Cutting the bulb holders is a little tricky if you don't have a good way to grip them. I used a Dremel Oscillating Saw + some vice grips to cut them off.

For those curious, this is the reason why you need to cut the original bulb holders:

The metal part you see above the LED bulb is a piece inside the headlight that the AE bulb goes into. As you see, the MTEC bulb is too long to fit in there. By cutting and then gluing the holder, you're extending the part that latches in down a bit more so that it'll be able to screw into the metal holder.

I first tried gluing them with some two-part epoxy and then some hot glue.. but that didn't work that well. I scraped that off, and came back with some Gorilla Glue. Let that dry overnight, and I just installed them a few hours ago.

Looking great so far

LOL, Where there is a will there is a way..........
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMUUM3
This weekend I decided to retrofit the MTEC-V3's into my 2008 non LCI headlights. Wasn't as bad as I thought, but well worth it.... Here are a few pics..
Attached Thumbnails Weekend Project(Halo)-halo-5.png  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Well worth it indeed! They're a little bit brighter*, but what really does it for me is that they're white instead of yellow. It makes a much bigger difference than I imagined it would.

* = Due to the optical design of the headlights, you won't have much more luck getting them brighter unless you resort to lasers or other highly-focused light. HIDs would get you brighter, but they will do more harm than good in the long run, as it'll melt and darken the end of the plastic optic tube and result in less brightness after some time.