E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Warning against HREs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='223880' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:09 PM
Link

Originally Posted by Audiworld
Interesting tid-bit. Talking to IMSA and Viper Racing League sterwards. found HRE's are banned ...
User account number (aid): 1113
Posted by Mike S on 2005-06-05 20:17:58
in both series due to too many failures.

NINE, yes NINE failures in one race weekend Vipers.

Apparently the PCA is on their way to banning HRE's as well.

The racers have always called them "Fools Fashion" and i thought that was a little rough until I started seeing them fail at track events and how easily they bend and corrode.

Then, after Leslie had problems with hers corroding and I spoke with one of the owners, I realized quickly they were WAY out of reality as to strength and design.

Wasn't really surprised that they were banned (was at the meeting), but was surprised at ALL the problems reported.

Unreal for such an expensive wheel.

Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small.
Very interesting Tom.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

This is old news.

Besides, why would you take HREs to the track in the first place? They weren't designed for that...

HRE is popular in the tuning crowd mainly for their looks - minimalistic spoke designs with huge lips. The larger the lip, the weaker the wheel. HREs are for pimping, and are fine for everyday street driving.

Don't get me wrong, I like HREs. I think their wheels look great. They are high end street wheels, but they are not high end track wheels. Don't assume just because they are expensive that they must be good for the track.

There is no corelation between the price of a wheel and its performance. Its all about marketing. Companies charge whatever price customers are willing to pay. Giovanna and Davin wheels are also very expensive - $1,000 per wheel. But would you take them onto a track? Absolutely not. They were designed to look good, not for racing. Hell, 4 of those new Asanti rims cost $1 million! And they must be the strongest rims on the planet cause they're MADE OUT OF DIAMONDS BABY! Would they be good on the track?

If you want a serious wheel for the track, its all about BBS.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Don't forget OZs
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

It's true that tracking a car puts a very heavy toll on the rims. We would probably never see anything like that happen on the street.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='224015' date='Jan 13 2006, 11:13 PM
It's true that tracking a car puts a very heavy toll on the rims. We would probably never see anything like that happen on the street.
come on, I've been to a race track with my stock E60. If you drive the hardest as you think it is still nothing.
Having the car on the race tracnk does not make you ultimate racer beyond any limits.... you don't get that way over the limit at all......

so I don't take this as an excuse for the poor quality of the wheels.....
Old 01-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='224068
come on, I've been to a race track with my stock E60. If you drive the hardest as you think it is still nothing.
Having the car on the race tracnk does not make you ultimate racer beyond any limits.... you don't get that way over the limit at all......

so I don't take this as an excuse for the poor quality of the wheels.....
[/quote]
i repeat the picture is not even a hre wheels its a brand called kinesis
Old 01-14-2006, 03:18 AM
Contributors

delete
Old 01-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='224076' date='Jan 14 2006, 01:18 PM
Like someone said, this is old news. Any wheel can break, and just for the sake of repeating it, that is not an HRE wheel, but a kinesis.

Not sure how these rumors get so widespread, but just call one of those leagues where HRE is supposedly banned and you'll find that there is no truth to it. Just propaganda against hre.
Any wheel can brake indeed. You dont know how the owner cares for this wheels before he races the tracks.
Thats sayd some thing are disputibel. Like the fact that all top brands now sell step lip wheels and if you drive those wheels in heavy rain , your cars starts to vibrate because water pills up in the inner wheel, its cant get out and cars start to shake heavely. I dont mind that but i do think the top brands should advertise this more because a lot of people dont know this and panic if it happens to them.

I still think Hre is a top wheel. I own a set for my other car. But its a show wheel. It cost 7000 a 8000 dollars including the tires to own a wheel like that. Its just silly to crash over curves in road turns with sutch a expensive wheel.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Ahh, I edited my post, but to late. I think they are indeed banned from the viper racing league. When I read about this previously, I somehow remembered some of the allegations to be false.

This is the link I read though previously. May have to sort through some BS, but there is some good info in there. http://6speedonline.com/forums/showthread....ed&pagenumber=1
Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='223974
Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='224076' date='Jan 14 2006, 01:18 PM
Like someone said, this is old news. Any wheel can break, and just for the sake of repeating it, that is not an HRE wheel, but a kinesis.

Not sure how these rumors get so widespread, but just call one of those leagues where HRE is supposedly banned and you'll find that there is no truth to it. Just propaganda against hre.
Any wheel can brake indeed. You dont know how the owner cares for this wheels before he races the tracks.
Thats sayd some thing are disputibel. Like the fact that all top brands now sell step lip wheels and if you drive those wheels in heavy rain , your cars starts to vibrate because water pills up in the inner wheel, its cant get out and cars start to shake heavely. I dont mind that but i do think the top brands should advertise this more because a lot of people dont know this and panic if it happens to them.

I still think Hre is a top wheel. I own a set for my other car. But its a show wheel. It cost 7000 a 8000 dollars including the tires to own a wheel like that. Its just silly to crash over curves in road turns with sutch a expensive wheel.
UR show car is awesome, how many awards did you get, greets u and family.

Quick Reply: Warning against HREs