E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Warning against HREs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Link

Originally Posted by Audiworld
Interesting tid-bit. Talking to IMSA and Viper Racing League sterwards. found HRE's are banned ...
User account number (aid): 1113
Posted by Mike S on 2005-06-05 20:17:58
in both series due to too many failures.

NINE, yes NINE failures in one race weekend Vipers.

Apparently the PCA is on their way to banning HRE's as well.

The racers have always called them "Fools Fashion" and i thought that was a little rough until I started seeing them fail at track events and how easily they bend and corrode.

Then, after Leslie had problems with hers corroding and I spoke with one of the owners, I realized quickly they were WAY out of reality as to strength and design.

Wasn't really surprised that they were banned (was at the meeting), but was surprised at ALL the problems reported.

Unreal for such an expensive wheel.

Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small.
Attached Thumbnails Warning against HREs-pld08.jpg   Warning against HREs-pld09.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

I think most serious track guys know better than run with HREs.

Aside from the soft alloys that HRE uses, there are other problems with them, including (1) weight (2 or 3 piece wheels are usually very heavy) (2) weight (wheels with fat lips are usually very heavy) and (3) did I mention weight?

BTW - they are also a bit pricey IMO to be running around on a track, no?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

You would think, but aren't HREs supposed to be forged? I also thought that 3pc wheels were lighter?

Believe it or not, my 19" Radenergies are much lighter than the stockers w/ dunlops. I think maybe the RFTs have a lot to do w/ the weight savings.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223886' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:18 PM

Aside from the soft alloys that HRE uses, there are other problems with them, including (1) weight (2 or 3 piece wheels are usually very heavy) (2) weight (wheels with fat lips are usually very heavy) and (3) did I mention weight?

Old 01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='223888

[/quote]

Honestly, I think this whole issue with HRE was a bit overblown. The P-car guys were also using HRE wheels on some of their sessions and the wheel failure rates weren't necessarily any higher or lower than other brands, e.g. BBS, SSR, Fiske, etc.

3 piece wheels (forged or cast) are heavier than one piece (forged or cast). The benefit of 3 piece wheels is to provide a deep dish and to make repairs easier (e.g., taking the one piece that is dented or chipped to be refinished instead of the whole wheel).

Idea wheels for racing would be something that is one piece forged and weighing around 18-19 lbs.

Wheels fail all the time during track sessions, and all brands have wheels that break. I don't really think this is systemic to HREs.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

I thought about that too, but do you really think wheels get banned from a racing circuit on "regular" failures?

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223895' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:32 PM
Wheels fail all the time during track sessions, and all brands have wheels that break. I don't really think this is systemic to HREs.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223895
You would think, but aren't HREs supposed to be forged? I also thought that 3pc wheels were lighter?

Believe it or not, my 19" Radenergies are much lighter than the stockers w/ dunlops. I think maybe the RFTs have a lot to do w/ the weight savings.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223886' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:18 PM

Honestly, I think this whole issue with HRE was a bit overblown. The P-car guys were also using HRE wheels on some of their sessions and the wheel failure rates weren't necessarily any higher or lower than other brands, e.g. BBS, SSR, Fiske, etc.

3 piece wheels (forged or cast) are heavier than one piece (forged or cast). The benefit of 3 piece wheels is to provide a deep dish and to make repairs easier (e.g., taking the one piece that is dented or chipped to be refinished instead of the whole wheel).

Idea wheels for racing would be something that is one piece forged and weighing around 18-19 lbs.

[/quote]
May be true that they do not have a higher falure rate than other brands (and I sure do not know one way or another) but they do cost a considerable premium over many of the other brands you mention. It does lead one to some expectation of "higher" quality however, false that you get what you pay for axiom may be. Just knowing they are the "equal" of less expensive brands is enough for me to stay away from them as where is the benefit?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='223902

[/quote]

Yeah, I've always wondered about $$ and quality. HREs are no doubt one of the most expensive wheels out there.

But then, look at Michelin ... they were banned from Formula One because of tire failures, but we still love the Pilot Sport PS2s right (and they are one of the most pricey tires out there)?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223913
I thought about that too, but do you really think wheels get banned from a racing circuit on "regular" failures?

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='223895' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I've always wondered about $$ and quality. HREs are no doubt one of the most expensive wheels out there.

But then, look at Michelin ... they were banned from Formula One because of tire failures, but we still love the Pilot Sport PS2s right (and they are one of the most pricey tires out there)?
[/quote]
Yes, they are good, but tread life is not so good. If you look at the big tire test posted elsewhere here (not sure where just now), there were some tires that actually performed better AND were cheaper. Its just that several of them do not have the enthusist following that PS2s have. And isn't Michelin back in Formula 1 now or am I mistaken?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='223917
Originally Posted by tomwid' post='223902' date='Jan 13 2006, 01:51 PM

[quote name='ipse dixit' post='223895' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:32 PM']

[/quote]
Yes, they are good, but tread life is not so good. If you look at the big tire test posted elsewhere here (not sure where just now), there were some tires that actually performed better AND were cheaper. Its just that several of them do not have the enthusist following that PS2s have. And isn't Michelin back in Formula 1 now or am I mistaken?
[/quote]

Everybody is wrong: its even funny because that picture is not a hre wheel its a kinesis wheel

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...e+failure+track

Hre is a show wheels. If you want to track it they now have a race line the competition series. But i think its silly to use hre as a track wheels. Hre is prestige, show qualety and exelent finish. Did you ever c a track car racing with bodywork with a exelent finish? Hell most track race cars have pieces that would fall of if they did not have a rope tied around them preventing to fall off.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

there you guys have it. I always say only OEM only OEM only OEM wheels !!!

Quick Reply: Warning against HREs