E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wanting to add subs and amp in the trunk did you this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a base 530i and want to transfer my 2 10"s and amp in the trunk this weekend. I was thinking of tapping the signal through the small amp that powers the stock subs under the seat. Power would be by the battery in the trunk. Remote should also be tapping through the stock amp.

Is this correct? Is everything accessible in the trunk?

Second issue:

Is a line (speaker level) out to low level (rca) converter fine for this application? Do you hear noise (high pitch wine)? Or do you need one of those special signal processing converters (ie Audio Cntrol LC6, MTX Q, RF 3sixty, or JL's cleen sweep) since this is a non conventional audio system relative to say a honda civic. Just want to make sure because there is a BIG difference in price between $40 to $150 DSP's.

Not new to the car audio scene but new to BMW's

Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

seen this done already and its not that great. dont switch out subs under seat but get subs in the back.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='415212' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:44 AM
seen this done already and its not that great. dont switch out subs under seat but get subs in the back.

Agree with alpine white your best bet is the 360.1 or 360.2 , my buddy out of orlando which also in this forum pics up noise from doing what you did. To install any kind of system in our cars will definately require modding.

im doing a full system on mine, i mean full modding and some cutting but well worth it im doing some custom fiberglass kickpanels for 4" drivers and 2" tweeters with 7" midbass in the doors customized then adding 2 12" subs in the rear firing through the ski pass, lot of work but a full quality SQ system
Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Members

Here is what I did. I just used a standard LOC and have zero whine. An LC-6 might be a little better option so you can sum Sub, Mid, High. I only took sub and because of the internal crossover in the factory amp I have a 12db spike around 80Hz. So it is a one note sub. I am waiting (for a year) for Alpine's PXE-H650. It is incredible! Once it is released (year late) I will put Dyn's or Oz Audio in front. I am not sure of the fitment of the 6.5" in the door. Let me know if anyone has looked inside.

Here is what I wrote:

After six months of trying different options I have finally finished my install. From day one the sound was poor and the low end was very muddy. I still have more to do but this is phase 1. I was able to maximize trunk space short of mounting a sub on the rear deck (rattles). Currently I have a Zapco 500.1 amp on the driver's side. I made a little platform. The 500.1 has an internal fan so the enclosed area is great. The box is a custom made for a 10" and is around .70 cf. Here are some pictures.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38890
Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kellywb' post='415379' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:59 PM
Here is what I did. I just used a standard LOC and have zero whine. An LC-6 might be a little better option so you can sum Sub, Mid, High. I only took sub and because of the internal crossover in the factory amp I have a 12db spike around 80Hz. So it is a one note sub. I am waiting (for a year) for Alpine's PXE-H650. It is incredible! Once it is released (year late) I will put Dyn's or Oz Audio in front. I am not sure of the fitment of the 6.5" in the door. Let me know if anyone has looked inside.

Here is what I wrote:

After six months of trying different options I have finally finished my install. From day one the sound was poor and the low end was very muddy. I still have more to do but this is phase 1. I was able to maximize trunk space short of mounting a sub on the rear deck (rattles). Currently I have a Zapco 500.1 amp on the driver's side. I made a little platform. The 500.1 has an internal fan so the enclosed area is great. The box is a custom made for a 10" and is around .70 cf. Here are some pictures.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38890
kellywb,

There is no 6.5" speaker in the doors only a 4" midwoofer. Im doing a full complete sound system and the only way to get some 6.5" midbass is to fiberglass a baffle and bring it out on the lower part of the door. im fabricating kickpanels that will house the 4" and 2" tweeter. the subwoofers need to get to the front cabin the best way to go is the through the skipass force pushed and sealing it off from the trunk to preven rattling you can tune a box to 60hz or whatever type of bass you like and push force it through the skipass. Im customizing a floor also and adding some lcd screens not to mention an Alpine processor and a Alpine hub, ill post pics when its all done.
Attached Thumbnails Wanting to add subs and amp in the trunk did you this?-740823_27_full.jpg  
Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

how much to mod the ski pass?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Here is what I did -

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11606&hl=

Sounds good and no noise. This is probably the information you are looking for.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='415419' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:45 PM
Here is what I did -

How is it you have fold down seats, my trunk is completely sealed, that is why you need to do the ski pass mod to get the most bass in to the cabin the box then becomes more of a sealed/bandpass box which i guess can be tuned and bolted on to metal of the car this way the bass response doesn't cancel and is pushed forced in to the cabin with no rattling. To do a trunk like that you are problably talking a couple hundred bukcs 350-450 finished and customized with ski pass done as well. if you want something done nice, meaning a nice set up it will cost you a bit but well worth it im getting my set up done.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='415419' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:45 AM
Here is what I did -

Nice write up
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='415432' date='Apr 18 2007, 08:09 PM
How is it you have fold down seats, my trunk is completely sealed, that is why you need to do the ski pass mod to get the most bass in to the cabin the box then becomes more of a sealed/bandpass box which i guess can be tuned and bolted on to metal of the car this way the bass response doesn't cancel and is pushed forced in to the cabin with no rattling. To do a trunk like that you are problably talking a couple hundred bukcs 350-450 finished and customized with ski pass done as well. if you want something done nice, meaning a nice set up it will cost you a bit but well worth it im getting my set up done.
I don't have fold down seats - i just took that first pic from another post because I had already put everything back together. I have the sealed trunk as well, otherwise I would have thought about doing a custom fiberglass side baffle install. The bass gets through just fine with my setup, trust me. No, it won't rock the neighboorhood, but it rocks the interior of the car. There are 2 rubber grommets you can remove from inside the roof of the trunk that let some airflow and bass waves through. Works fine for my needs.

I am now seriously thinking about replacing the stock amp that drives the subs under the seats now though.....

Quick Reply: Wanting to add subs and amp in the trunk did you this?