E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Want to install sport springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Pic

Last edited by mag75; 07-09-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:07 AM
Contributors

You're going to want to install coilovers in front and rear to adjust the suspension however you see fit. Keep in mind that if you just replace springs in front you are going to be putting massive stress on your struts because they aren't meant to flex at that height. Also, they are meant to travel up and down further which means when you hit a bump you're probably going to slap your bumper, bottom out, or who knows what. The ride when you corner won't be the same either.

If you want a sport suspension, do it the right way at the start. Don't 1/2 ass it or you'll regret it. I recommend KV2-street comfort coilovers or Bilstein coilovers.
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:07 AM
Members

I'd actually like to see your car with the rear a little lower versus raising the front. What kind of coil overs do you have?
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
You're going to want to install coilovers in front and rear to adjust the suspension however you see fit. Keep in mind that if you just replace springs in front you are going to be putting massive stress on your struts because they aren't meant to flex at that height. Also, they are meant to travel up and down further which means when you hit a bump you're probably going to slap your bumper, bottom out, or who knows what. The ride when you corner won't be the same either.

If you want a sport suspension, do it the right way at the start. Don't 1/2 ass it or you'll regret it. I recommend KV2-street comfort coilovers or Bilstein coilovers.
Howitzer, looks like his signature already shows that he has coilovers.
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mag75
Sorry for the signature....but that is actually wrong. When I purchased the car, I was told the drop was a coilover, however, I think springs were only installed...

So, I would like to go the coilover route but heard that is a little expensive...what is the ballpark price here?
Coilovers are probably $1200 to $1800 for good ones. The other route would be cutting your front springs.
Old 03-29-2010 | 11:21 AM
Senior Members

OK thanks....I have a feeling whatever was done, wasnt done correctly, as I can feel almost every bump it feels like.

I wonder what it would take to return everything to stock.
Old 03-29-2010 | 02:43 PM
Senior Members

I am installing sport springs on a non sport. I will be posting pics shortly
Old 03-29-2010 | 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by medik13
I am installing sport springs on a non sport. I will be posting pics shortly
Nice. Please do. Also let us know how the ride is. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010 | 02:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by mag75
Nice. Please do. Also let us know how the ride is. Thanks.
The ride should not be as harsh as you describe. I have H&R sports on my car and it has the drop I was looking for without sacrificing ride comfort. There are a few things to check, are the shocks worn out? That would make the suspension rely too heavily on the springs. Were the springs installed correctly? Hard to mess it up, but it can happen.
Old 03-29-2010 | 03:11 PM
Senior Members

I have the KW V2's installed on my '04 545.
I wanted a drop on my ride, but was a bit nervous I was going to be giving up ALOT of ride comfort.
This was not the case.
I am extreamly happy with my KW's.
The drop hight is adjustable, (Summer set up, Winter Set up)
and the KW's suspention is adjustable, I have a comfortable ride, not too stiff, but I my car does handle so much better around the corners.

If you are looking to have your ride hight even all the way around, and you are considering going with coil overs,
I would suggest IMHO going with the KW V2's.

Hope this helps and let me know which way you go with it.

AE

Quick Reply: Want to install sport springs