E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help, I just have a 20" setup but on my E60 2003 530i SE.

Setup is Front 20x8.5 with 255/30/20, Rear 20x10 with 275/30/20
The RS8 wheels (UK) are deep dished wheels like the Rad R10's (USA)

Before I had stand 18"

After putting this setup on my car I have a small vibration when accelrating and deccelrating at 50mph to 65mph.

I have had the wheels balanced twice and sprigot rings installed but I am still having a vibration. The guys that installed it said its just me feeling the road more, but i don't think so. If this is so I would like to put my 18" back on.

Does any one know what this problem is, has any one come across this. I have had two sets of 20's and I have this problem, is it the suspension/ball joints? Do I need to stiffen the front end?
The vibration is come up from the steering and pedals. small vibration but is is a pain when driving for distance.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

You must check the air pressure from the tires. Maybe it is over pressure for this set up. What is the brand of the tires?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Had this broblem with a set of 19" ACS IV's...was gutted they looked great, they just couldnt get them dialed in. I think its to do with the hub needing to have a shim/spigot ring to centralise. The E60 has a 72mm hub ring aftermarket wheels tend to be 74mm, so the difference needs to be made up, I think this is part of the problem....Ive gone M5 166 style OEM to make sure they fit directly without the spigot ring.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Yes..
You'll need to make sure that your wheels are hubcetnric (or at least made that way via rings). You're also going to have to make sure your tires are round. This is not as simple as you think. You don't mention what brand they are, and I'll bet this is a likely source of your problem. You also need to make sure you find someone who can prooerlky index and balance wheels like this, and it's really not possible to get the proper balance on something this big without doing them on the car. One other thing--I'm going to assume your car doesn't have a bunch of miles, as it's an e60, but if it does (40-50k+), ANY imperfections in your suspension system will be made to feel worse by worn suspension componenets, particularly control arem bushings.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by allenman' post='288729' date='May 28 2006, 03:09 PM
Yes..
You'll need to make sure that your wheels are hubcetnric (or at least made that way via rings). You're also going to have to make sure your tires are round. This is not as simple as you think. You don't mention what brand they are, and I'll bet this is a likely source of your problem. You also need to make sure you find someone who can prooerlky index and balance wheels like this, and it's really not possible to get the proper balance on something this big without doing them on the car. One other thing--I'm going to assume your car doesn't have a bunch of miles, as it's an e60, but if it does (40-50k+), ANY imperfections in your suspension system will be made to feel worse by worn suspension componenets, particularly control arem bushings.
Hope this helps.

The tyres are Contential Contact Sport 2 Extra Load, and my car only has 25k on the clock. So I guess it is more the tyres then as i have had two set of wheels and still have the small vibration problem.

The first was a set of AC Schnitzer 20"x 9 Repilcas and now the RS 20" (Rear 10J ET20, Front 8.5J ET15)

Make sure the tires are round? what do you mean?

Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP-thumbnail_530i_sport.jpg
Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP-front.jpg
Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP-rear.jpg
Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP-front_wheel.jpg
Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP-rear_wheel.jpg
Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

hey umm ur car looks pretty good minus those rear tail lights im sorry but those could be the most uglyest thing to put on an E60 besides the chrome light rings...
Old 05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

nice car.. love the ACS front splitters.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='288995' date='May 29 2006, 01:02 AM
nice car.. love the ACS front splitters.
Does any know about the vibrations??
Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by samuelpang' post='289005' date='May 29 2006, 01:44 AM
Does any know about the vibrations??
I have looked at the RS8's...I'll bet its to do with the centre being 74mm and the hubcentric ring on your hub being 72mm. In effect you have a 2mm gap to fill. To try and do this some aftermarket wheels come with a filler piece called a spigot ring. Its a tapered ring which is supposed to centralise the wheel on the hub.

It doesnt seem to be an exact science, and some are made of plastic. I think a set of very shallow spacers (5mm) which convert the 74mm of your wheels to the BMW specified 72mm of your hubs might help. Also get them to balance using the 5 position clamp (fits your wheel at each stud hole) for the most sensitive balancing.

As I say, I had this prob with some ACS IV's tried everything, but didnt try the spacer option and wished I had.

As a final thought, search the forum, a couple of threads mention this issue, they say that deep dish and large diameter (i'm not talking pizza) are hard to set up.

Hope you get sorted.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='289099' date='May 29 2006, 12:03 AM
I have looked at the RS8's...I'll bet its to do with the centre being 74mm and the hubcentric ring on your hub being 72mm. In effect you have a 2mm gap to fill. To try and do this some aftermarket wheels come with a filler piece called a spigot ring. Its a tapered ring which is supposed to centralise the wheel on the hub.

It doesnt seem to be an exact science, and some are made of plastic. I think a set of very shallow spacers (5mm) which convert the 74mm of your wheels to the BMW specified 72mm of your hubs might help. Also get them to balance using the 5 position clamp (fits your wheel at each stud hole) for the most sensitive balancing.

As I say, I had this prob with some ACS IV's tried everything, but didnt try the spacer option and wished I had.

As a final thought, search the forum, a couple of threads mention this issue, they say that deep dish and large diameter (i'm not talking pizza) are hard to set up.

Hope you get sorted.
Yup, I agree... I had issues like that in the past where I needed the plastic hub rings to fill in the gap. I good tire shop might have the hubcentric rings you need lying around. Also, because your rims have so many spokes, you will feel some vibrations when its raining or the road conditions are wet. This is because of the water getting trapped, causing a centrifugal effect.

Quick Reply: Vibrations on a set of NEW 20" setup. CAN anyone HELP