E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Velocity unit Installed - First in the UK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been planning for sometime to get a sprintbooster for sometime now as my 520d can be compared to a asthmatic hairdryer and the power delivery only kicks in about 2k RPM. The sprintbooster in the UK costs around ?80 / $131 - so its very cheap.

And as you guys may have noticed someone posted a unit found over in Singapore called Velocity. After reading all 13 pages about the unit and the seller Wilson posting on this forum, I was considering this unit over sprintboost. As can be seen on the other forums the unit clearly worked, but my main issue was with the price tag in comparison to sprintbooster. But me being the techie I am, and always having to have the latest item on the market, I decided to bite the bullet and get the Velocity unit. I paid ?280 / $459 for it, which is more than 3x the price of sprintbooster.

I met up with Wilson today (as he was in London) and he personally installed the unit for me

He showed me the difference by lightly pressing the accelerator with the unit off and with it on map 4 - and I was amazed (bare in mind, I was expecting an improvement but not that much). We took the car around the block and a massive improvement! I've never ever made my tires squeak while turning a corner and this was happening on map 3. DSC lights was flashing loads, as pulling away. And I though to myself this is the best mod I've done on my car to date. It really turns the 520d around, no questions asked.

I've just got back home and did a test at standstill using the secret menu to count the revs when pressing the accelerator. I was very careful to apply the same pressure in the test.

To give a number comparison:
Unit off: Idle 551 RPM / pressed 676 RPM
Unit on: Idle 551 RPM / pressed 2408 RPM - Based on map 3 (out of 4)
Unit on: idle 551 RPM / pressed 2701 RPM - Map 4 (highest)

As you can see the numbers really speak for themselves - the really does feel like a bigger engine (even though its hasn't done anything to the torque/bp). All the unit does is adjust the sensitivity. Effectively speaking, now I don't have to wait to pass the 2k RPM point before I have power, its just there the car is 'like' going from idle RPM > 2k right away.

And now my justification for buying this unit in comparison to sprintbooster:
1) it has more top level sensitivity
2) I drive around in traffic, so always having the power on isn't a good idea, I want to decide when my power in there and when it's not <- this is a major point, as I don't want to rear-end someone or a wall.
3) It was slightly cheaper to buy the unit whilst Wilson was in London as I wouldn't have to pay exchange rate or postage.

Overall the rating of this mod 9.5/10 - my only slight reservation is with the price as I couldn't haggle a discount But this really had made the world of difference to my car. But giving that I paid ?200 for my remap back in 2006, the Velocity unit actually made a much more noticeable difference to the car its well worth the money, and I would recommend it.

I'd just like to say thanks to Wilson for installing it to me and putting up with my questions via PM.

--- IFY ---
My car is currently running a stock ECU map (after having BMW code over the car due to all the faults), I'll give an update when Jason from ChippedUK remaps my car.
I've also got a RPI scoop coming from Trinity shortly so that should add some more bang

Here's the picture of the unit installed:
Velocity unit Installed - First in the UK&#33;-p1060569.jpg
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i would love to buy this since i never liked the idea of the sprintbooster not tunable to when u want the urge.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

i was just as curious about the velocity unit as opposed to the sprint booster, and I think you just persuaded me to save my pennies and save up for the velocity.
Be sure to give an update down the road so we know how you like it over an extended period of time.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Very informative write-up!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by eurotunerM3' post='913597' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:57 PM
i was just as curious about the velocity unit as opposed to the sprint booster, and I think you just persuaded me to save my pennies and save up for the velocity.
Be sure to give an update down the road so we know how you like it over an extended period of time.
Will do. Trust me I am so fussy (just ask BMW Chandlers!), so I wouldn't go recommending something that I wasn't 100% happy with.
Like I said the price difference is really the thing that made me think about this, but after testing it, no regrets at all - (if anyone is around Brighton/Surbiton and wants me to take them for a spin with the unit on/off just PM me).
Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

i would definitely get it for $350. $460 seems a lil rough on the wallet
Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545 alpine white/grey cold weather package, premium package

Very informative. I like the idea that you can turn the unit on and off as desired
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

like the others guys said, definitely worth thinking about if it were a little cheaper. But for now I will keep the SB
Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

congrats on the new mod. sounds pretty sweet. wish it was cheaper though!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Thanks for the feedback.

I assume there's a wire that runs from the accelerator pedal to the control unit mounted under your dash. How did you route that wire? Is the wire long enough to route it all the way to the glove box? Not sure if people would even want to do that since they'll probably want it easily in reach but just curious.

Quick Reply: Velocity unit Installed - First in the UK!