E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Velocity install and review

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I sit down to write this I think this was one of my favorite things I’ve done to any of my cars over the years.

I recently purchased my 2007 550 from a fellow forum member. If you don’t know already, Dranged and I are best friends and I’ve put extensive seat time in his 550 that is equipped with a Sprintbooster. I was dead set on getting rid of the lag my car has that his doesn’t since his install.

I was going to get a sprintbooster until I read about this new product. Velocity.

I contacted Eric with PYSpeed about the current group buy.

The manufacturer was able to ship prior to the group buy ending. Very cool.

I was at work today when the FedEx guy walked in with a surprise.

Cracked it open to find a Velocity

Construction is solid., with OE connectors on the ends.

Installation –

I got home with high expectations of what this thing was going to do for me.

I grabbed a pick tool too to pry the cover off of the 5mm hex bolt.

Pull the bolt, and popped the accelerator pedal out within seconds

I popped the cable loose and connected the leading wire connector for the Velocity to the accelerator assembly

I connected the trailing wire to the car side of the wiring

I put things back in, in the reverse order of disassembly.

I found some body molding tape in the tool box. Took one strip of this stuff to make it nice and solid. 3M tape rocks! Cause it’s from Minnesota.

I think this install took ten minutes due to it being my first time pulling things apart in here and the fact I took a few pics for you guys.

I didn’t tuck wires inside panels, as I’ll need to take this out in the next few weeks because I’m taking my car in for service. When I get the car back I’ll take a few minutes to hide the wires

First thoughts –

No check engine lights or sprint booster blues running conditions that I’ve read about on this forum

In fact, nothing at all. Seemed like there was nothing new. The unit was off. I pressed the power button to be pleasantly surprised that the accelerator was very slightly different.

I needed more. By going to level 2 there seemed to be no lag in the pedal. Nice. I think this will be a great everyday mode for me.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Level three seems the most like a Sprintbooster. Like it?s amplified slightly. Good stuff.

Level 4 is crack cocaine mode. It?s kind of nuts. The car is a monster. And I totally forgot to put my car into sport mode until this point. Slide it over to sport and I?m starting to think The Tire Rack must be giving kick-backs to Velocity cause this is thing is going to be the demise of quite a few sets of tires I?m sure.

This unit is fairly expensive. I think due to the fact I can turn it off on the fly or even adjust the level I want makes it well worth the extra money. I feel safer letting my girlfriend drive it because I can turn the thing off. I love level 4 in sport mode but I know I don?t want to drive with it on all the time, especially with snow here 5 months of the year.

The last part of my review is almost as rewarding. A nice beer and a mushroom, onion and cheese stuffed steak on the grill will round the night off as I type this.

a special thanks to my install partner, my Vizsla, Teke

Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

What a great DIY and a great post all around. Your install partner is so cute as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Nice what about the other levels?? Nice install diy btw
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Never mind i just it lol
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='971648' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:25 PM
Nice what about the other levels?? Nice install diy btw
other levels? i only know of the 4.

the first one doesn't seem like there is much going on. you can tell something is slightly differnent
level two seems to get rid of the damned lag our cars has
level three is better and you can tell it's amplified
level four is very amplified. a bit twitchy to be honest. but what a flipping rush. it's hyper smile mode
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 JET BLACK, PREMIUM AND SPORT PACKAGE, REAR FOLD DOWN SEATS.

Do you think its works better than the sprint booster?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Nice write up sean

great choice in beer as well
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

NICE!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wannatesdr' post='971654' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:30 PM
Do you think its works better than the sprint booster?
for my application yes. it does the same thing the sprintbooster does but is adjustable to the level you feel is needed. My gal will be driving my car from time to time and i feel she wouldn't be comfortable nor would i be with it on a higher level like the sprintbooster wold provide. and the fact i wont have to worry so much about a twitchy throttle into he snow/ ice that Minnesota throws at me from time to time. The biggest thing is that it cost quite a bit more. worth the extra money i feel though

Quick Reply: Velocity install and review