E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Valentine1 users....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics of my install. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry402907

Side Note...I now have my EZ-Pass right next to the V1, except I just moved the V1 over a bit.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by bmw1986' post='414821' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:17 PM
I have it set on the A mode is that bad? How do I change the mode?

A mode = all bogeys. This is the most senstive mode for alerting to radar. It basically means that all radar sources will be alerted. This is different than the 2 other modes, which attempt to filter your alerts for falses.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

L mode for me.

On a side note, any of you guys see the ad for the new Passport 9500i? GPS enabled. It's supposed to learn the locations of your false alarms and filter them out because it's tracking you through satellite.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='415044' date='Apr 17 2007, 10:21 PM
L mode for me.

On a side note, any of you guys see the ad for the new Passport 9500i? GPS enabled. It's supposed to learn the locations of your false alarms and filter them out because it's tracking you through satellite.
I've read many reviews and other users saying this feature is really useless. As it will remember, say a door opener at the local market, it will block out ALL similar signals in that area. And that area is like 1.2 mile radius, much more than the 600ft or so that it should block. Furthermore, the detector is not sensitive enough to decipher b/t K band sigs that are close together. In other words, if you GPS lock out a door sensor, you must be careful in that entire 1+ mile radius, as the thing is basically off. And to top it off, it works a lil worse than the 8500, which loses out to the V1 in range and sensitivity. It's a great concept that needs to be honed and calibrated. Perhaps in 2 years, I'll try it out then.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Yes..... GPS flase protection sounds like a gimmick to me.

All radar detectors false. The Valentine 1 is not different. However, a false alarm is simple to discerne from a real threat on the Valentine 1, thanks to the bogey counter and arrows. A false alarm typically falls in the X band, or K band. The signal is also more diffuse, and therefore jumps around on the arrows and the bogey counter will often jump up higher.

A true police radar is typically in the Ka band, and will register as a single bogey from a definite direction on the arrows.

When I am driving in my car, and my V1 chirps.... I can take one half-second glance at my V1 above my rearview mirror and tell if the threat is real or not. You just learn how to read the falses. It's kinda like reading an old vintage piece of analog equipment. It has it's quirks, but you learn them and see past them over time.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='415139' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:12 AM
I can take one half-second glance at my V1 above my rearview mirror and tell if the threat is real or not. You just learn how to read the falses. It's kinda like reading an old vintage piece of analog equipment. It has it's quirks, but you learn them and see past them over time.
I run in Logic mode (Lowercase "L") all the time. Seems to work for me.

I've been able to read my V1 like subterFUSE...but I've been tempted to get color coded LEDs. It's overkill and I've gotten used to the fact that any red LED above the forward arrow point is Ka or Laser...but the color LEDs are cool .

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php...asc&start=0
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think we need to let Mike Valentine loose on the GPS concept -- it sounds like something he could refine through some heavy-duty engineering. Maybe he could combine the GPS coordinates with some sort of "fingerprinting" that allows him to discern between the known false and a new or different threat in the same area -- kind of like the multiple bogey counter does now...

C'mon Mike, get on it if you're not already halfway there!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

My V-1 Seems to work the best in the A mode. My 12 year experience with these units has taught me that around town, you sort of learn where they false, and if you drive the same route(s) you tend to slow down when you hit a signal that strays from the norm. A few other things to note, one, it pays to upgrade the units. V-1's web site http://www.valentine1.com/ has a page for upgrades, you enter the serial number, and it tells you what the upgrade would cost, and what benifits you would gain. I hard wired mine into place, and took step by steps pics if any one wants them. I decided that the plug adapter fitting into the passanger foot well did not look finished. So, I pulled the panel off where the 12 volt socket sits, tapped into the power supply, and ran the wires through the molding, and into the headliner, then down to the detector under the mirror. Placement of the detector on the window is critical if you want to be protected 360 degrees, as if you place he unit to far up on the window, you loose rear protection. One last point, and this is a great betting item for those whom are not familiar with the E60. Ask someone to guess the number of 12 volt power points that are located in the car....
Old 05-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Members

Mine is in advanced logig. Also have it paired up with an origin b2 in each car. http://www.originb2.com/ Works for me
Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='415274' date='Apr 18 2007, 01:59 PM
I think we need to let Mike Valentine loose on the GPS concept -- it sounds like something he could refine through some heavy-duty engineering. Maybe he could combine the GPS coordinates with some sort of "fingerprinting" that allows him to discern between the known false and a new or different threat in the same area -- kind of like the multiple bogey counter does now...

C'mon Mike, get on it if you're not already halfway there!

The GPS stuff is a marketing gimmick. If you can't tell the difference between a false and a real threat on a Valentine 1 within about 0.5 seconds, then you shouldn't be operating machinery in the first place. It isn't rocket science. Most of the time, I don't even have to look. I just hear the chirp and know. But if I have any question, a quick glance at my unit above my rearview mirror and I can see if it's Ka or not.

Besides... If everyone had GPS on their detector and relied on it.... cops would then intentionally set up camp at those locations to capture you off guard, anyway.

Quick Reply: Valentine1 users....