E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Using my Ipod without the Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for ways to use my ipod in my 525i without paying 375.00 for the aux input from BMW. I'm not cheap but it's hard for me to pay that much for just an input jack. For that price I would expect to be able to control my ipod with i-drive and see the songs on my display screen. Anyway I decided to try the Monster cable Wireless FM transmitter http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3232 . I was very happy with the sound quality. I've tried other FM transmitters for the ipod but they were just ok and sometimes flaky. The Monster FM transmitter uses the bottom jack of the Ipod instead of the headphone jack that many other FM transmitters use. FRom my understanding that jack sends out a better audio signal. I'm not sure if that is the only reason it sounds so much better but there is a difference. I sometimes hear a little static at the end of beats but it's not often. I believe that it may be related to the quality of some of the mp3s.

To hide my ipod I plugged the FM transmitter into the cigarette lighter under glove compartment. I ran the cable into the glove compartment and I store my ipod there out of site. I have an air click remote http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/ for my ipod so that I can control it remotely. I attached the remote holder around the parking brake handle so that I can easily reach it and change songs. I would love to be able to control the ipod with the i-drive but my current setup will do for now until BMW develops something.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I've been eyeing the Monster regular 1/8 th FM transmitter because I want to be able to use it for other things like a DVD player and such but have not jumped on board yet... I want to know if the sound quality is decent enough.

http://www.monstercable.com/MP3/productPag...0All%20Products

I know yours is different and is specifically made for the iPod so I dont know... maybe I'll just get it and see... maybe after the Christmas rush... I dont want it lost in the mail hehe