E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upper 1/3 of throttle and Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

First off, I?ve had my sprint booster for a long time now. I was involved in a thread the other day where a member said he would deal with the lag instead of losing the top 1/3 of his throttle. I?m not really sure if this actually happens; does it? My 550 has no problem blowing by 100 mph so I?ve never thought there was any negative result of the SB. I do not plan to remove my SB, but I would like some info on this top 1/3 throttle issue.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

This following is a copy paste of the members response when I asked him if he planned to get a SB.

I don't, but i went around in the forums on a post a few months ago about it. Too me, it's just magnifying the response and you loose the top third of the pedal. I like the idea of better response but hate the idea of loosing the top third of my accelerator depression. I'm sure you do love it and its working for you the way you want, just not my thing I guess.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='1033890' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:47 AM
First off, I’ve had my sprint booster for a long time now. I was involved in a thread the other day where a member said he would deal with the lag instead of losing the top 1/3 of his throttle. I’m not really sure if this actually happens; does it? My 550 has no problem blowing by 100 mph so I’ve never thought there was any negative result of the SB. I do not plan to remove my SB, but I would like some info on this top 1/3 throttle issue.
The sprint booster doesn't really cause you to lose your last 1/3 of throttle but at about 2/3 the car "thinks" it's 100% throttle. You don't lose your last 1/3....it just cones sooner...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='1033901' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:57 AM
This following is a copy paste of the members response when I asked him if he planned to get a SB.

I don't, but i went around in the forums on a post a few months ago about it. Too me, it's just magnifying the response and you loose the top third of the pedal. I like the idea of better response but hate the idea of loosing the top third of my accelerator depression. I'm sure you do love it and its working for you the way you want, just not my thing I guess.
KREED that was me, and I remember your name from back in July / August when the thread I am talking about was floating about. Someone had a pretty good discussion about how the SB works, and bottom line was that it simply magnifies the electronic "pulse" if you will of the interface between the force you apply to the pedal and the signal the engine receives. They seemed to agree that it magnified about 30%. Thus you get 30% more from the same pressure applied. What they went on to say, and I believed at the time, was that it doesn't increase the total throttle available, like give you 130% of OEM, it only magnifies what is already available thus you get 30% quicker and with less force applied, but you give up the top 30% of your physical accelerator pedal ability. Otherwise, it would be increasing the possible throttle to more than OEM and I just don't think it can do that.

But, I'm interested to hear from others on this now too.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1033905' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:06 AM
The sprint booster doesn't really cause you to lose your last 1/3 of throttle but at about 2/3 the car "thinks" it's 100% throttle. You don't lose your last 1/3....it just cones sooner...
Exactly, so what would pushing the throttle the last 1/3 do for you? I am under the assumption NOTHING.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Hey there bha7176

Again, I love what the SB does for me when I press the pedal. Instant push!!! It really is night and day without using it. I was mainly concerned that I was loosing out on something by having the SB. As far as I know my car is still fast a heck at full throttle, but if i'm loosing somewhere I'd like to know. Even if I am, I still plan to keep the SB cause the lag really takes away from the driving experience for me.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1033914' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:13 AM
Exactly, so what would pushing the throttle the last 1/3 do for you? I am under the assumption NOTHING.
I guess......but it's really not a big deal.... the delete in lag and the feel is more imortant to me.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

SB only makes your throttle respond quicker. You don't gain or lose HP by having it therefore no such thing as losing 1/3 of the throttle.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Frank5er' post='1033934' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:39 AM
SB only makes your throttle respond quicker. You don't gain or lose HP by having it therefore no such thing as losing 1/3 of the throttle.
With all due forum respect...what does that have to do with what we are discussing here? We're not talking HP, SB has NO, ZERO, ZILCH affect on HP - we know that, but you do loose the last 1/3 of your throttle, meaning with SB, if you push your accelerator past 2/3 of its physical limit, you will NOT gain any more throttle response as you've already used it in the first 2/3's.

Personally I don't like the fact that the last 1/3 of my accelerators physical movement wouldn't do anything with the SB. Some don't mind that and that's fine.

I do agree that my car has a lag in throttle, but am hoping that an ECU remap from an aftermarket tuner, DINAN, PES, one of them will take care of it without deleting the full functionality of my accelerator pedal. Anyone have experience with this and know?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

I will be on my way home in an hour; luckily I get to play on the highway. I'm going to test this theory of losing the top 1/3. If I'm hearing this correctly, if I push my throttle beyond say 2/3 and before the "kickdown", I will not feel any additional speed???? Is this correct?

Quick Reply: Upper 1/3 of throttle and Sprint Booster