E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upgrading Anti Roll Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut and paste this from this thread to start this new one on a different subject:

Originally Posted by juliann' post='258766' date='Mar 23 2006, 08:01 AM
The M5 Front ARB is 26.5mm vs the 25.5mm of M Sport Suspension and 25mm of std set up. (Active steering ARB is 22.5mm). The rear M5 is 18mm vs 16mm Sports vs 13.5mm std. What I don't know is difference in materials used (my CSL ARBs are different in composition to a regular M3). One easy way to stiffen without changing parts is to alter the pick up points slightly - requires a couple of new drill holes in the ARBs for the drop links. I haven't looked closely at the E60 ARB's but this has been possible on other BMW's. Once you've done that, take the front struts off, send them to Leda to modify for adjustable platforms, put some EG dampers in, fixed rate springs and some nice ali adjustable top mounts, set camber at -3, caster at 5.5 and away you go.
I spoke to the dealer today and we have ordered M5 ARBS front and rear, should arrive the middle of next week. We also ordered up the bushes and relevant brackets required.

Interestingly enough, although my car has Active Steering, because it is an M Sport model its front ARB is 25.6mm.

This should improve the body roll I'm getting even with the Bilstein PSS9s (it was worse before!!) but I'm still trying to source custom made ARBs.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

it sounds like you want more G's in corners...im statisfied with how my car handles...and im not considering this upgrade cause i have a 525 not a 545...
but how much is this gonna cost you...and will the car still be on the warranty after the upgrade....
im sure your gonna have fun after the ARBs
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by madoon' post='263106' date='Mar 31 2006, 09:00 PM
it sounds like you want more G's in corners...im statisfied with how my car handles...and im not considering this upgrade cause i have a 525 not a 545...
but how much is this gonna cost you...and will the car still be on the warranty after the upgrade....
im sure your gonna have fun after the ARBs
Parts are ?258 plus VAT. Fitting is extra. I'll report back once we've tried to fit them - the BMW garage believe its possible, although its not them thats fitting, it's my local garage to whom I trust all my non warranty work.

Warranty is OK except for the parts I change. My local dealer are excellent, as long as I don't try and claim for something which clearly was the fault of my 'tinkering' with the car
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Members

Interesting topic and a nice change from all the complainers and 'show/shine' boys with their angel eyes

Seriously, I am really interesting how this works out, because uprated ARB's with a good damper like you have could work very well. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SG535d' post='263073' date='Mar 31 2006, 07:24 PM
I spoke to the dealer today and we have ordered M5 ARBS front and rear, should arrive the middle of next week. We also ordered up the bushes and relevant brackets required.
Interesting plan and a surprisingly great price

Look forward to hearing how it works out... must say though I am surprised by how much roll is eveident in the pics..... were you particularly tanking it ?????
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='265640' date='Apr 6 2006, 10:19 PM
Interesting plan and a surprisingly great price

Look forward to hearing how it works out... must say though I am surprised by how much roll is eveident in the pics..... were you particularly tanking it ?????
Parts have arrived, being fitted on Monday now. Real test will be in Germany next week

I'll try and post some video from that track day to give an idea of the speeds involved - the bottom picture is a chicane so is the worst place for body roll. The top pic was just after the chicane powering out as far as I can recall.

We weren't holding back (top pic was my suspension guru who is an ex racing driver, bottom pic is me) although I'm still convinced a better driver would make it roll even further
Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

I am surprised that you say that DSC never intervened. In the pics your inner rear almost loses road contact, which should cause wheelspin and DSC to act.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DutchDiesel' post='266080' date='Apr 7 2006, 09:42 PM
I am surprised that you say that DSC never intervened. In the pics your inner rear almost loses road contact, which should cause wheelspin and DSC to act.
Car was in DTC mode, but I don't recall saying DSC never intervened?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by endeavour_uk' post='254132' date='Mar 13 2006, 02:52 PM
Traction out of the hairpin was excellent and the only time the DSC kicked in was crossing the curbs...
?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i think what he mean is the only time that the DSC startted to "intervene" is when going over the curbs or chicane. because of the bump i assume. a wheel will go off the ground and spin and then the DSC will start to work..and not in any coners.
SG535d, have u driven a e60 with other than the m sport suspension, on track....how does it handle, traction, and roll..?

Quick Reply: Upgrading Anti Roll Bars