E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

upgrade standard EU sound system with amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

I am considering to upgrade my standard EU sound system for my E61. I am willing to spend some money to it, but not a great deal. secondly, I do no want to have a major project, so it should be quite simple to install.

It has currently no amp installed, 2 speakers in door, 2 subs under seats and 2 speakers in the back. As I understand from this forum, these speakers are driven in parallel from Head unit.

at this moment I have 2 upgrade options in mind:

1 - Install tweeters (which I already got through Ebay)
-Buy a Blaupunkt amp to drive the subs (do not know yet how to, but gotta find out), which I found out can quite easily be connected to head unit.

2 Install tweeters
Buy a secondhand Hifi Amp (original BMW), either logic 7 of DSP . These are available on ebay.
Would anybody know whether this options should work? Any DIY write ups for this configuration?
How much work is involved?

May be there are other options that I didnt consider yet. If so, I am open to suggestions of course.

Rik
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Both are possible. The 2. will require BMW to program your HU.

The other options really depend on what you are trying to solve.

While you are deciding the long term solution, just put the tweeters into the front and rear of the car. Listen to that for a while, you may decide that its good enough.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

Bruce,
Thanks for reply.
If BMW needs to be involved, it is not really an preferred option. Beside that, it probably means new wiring, and thus a lot of work.

I believe it was in somewhere of your posts, where you stated that adding just the tweeters, will get the system back to 1,3 Ohm.

That is one reason for me to consider adding an amp. Secondly, Not having an amp at all doesnt make me feel good either.

I am really thinking now to get a Blaupunkt PnP amp, to have a relatively easy upgrade and more powerful bas and mid bass. I also purchased on ebay 2 DSP speakers for front doors, so that is also an improvement I assume.
I have seen the work you described in your post, and that really looks great and it sure will sound great. However I do not want to spend so much time on that. I am not an electronic, more mechanically educated.

Rik