E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Update on 5 series M sport package.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004 | 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by David Williams' date='Dec 8 2004, 09:49 AM
No I'm not a lawyer (an engineer actually) but I work with enough to know how this song and dance works.

It is doesn't carry the same part number, it isn't the same part.? If it isn't the same part, the testing done with one part doesn't apply to the other (unless there are provisions in the regulations to qualify the part by analysis to similar parts which means you are spending money on engineering calculations in place of testing).

Also, even though they look like the same part: are they the same material, the same thickness, do they behave the same way when they run into a crash barrier?

By the way, crash testing is just one of the hoops that manufacturers have to jump through to sell their cars in the US. It is not done to protect them legally; it's just needed to meet a regulation.? And yes you can change the bumper out after you recieve the car.? There is nothing illegal about that.? You are not the manufacturer.? If I were a dealer, I would think twice about swapping out the bumpers since it is considered a safety part.?

If you were to have an accident and there was an injury that was the result of or had an increased severity due to your replaced bumper, you might could be held responsible for damages.? A long shot I know, but lawyers have made lots of money on stupider things.
[snapback]66529[/snapback]
I say, if M-pack was available for 03 E39 540i, then they shouldn't have any problem importing and test-crash the new m-bumpers. I don't think BMW will bother putting a new bumper for E39 on its last production year, if the gain in sales would not offset the costs of making it available.

There is no reason fighting BMW on their stand. If you really wanted the m-bumper, you can wait till the M5's parts becomes available, and hope it will fit your E60. Or get Bekker's bumper. Or wait until E60's last years, I am sure BMW will offer it to spice up sales dip of the outgoing model.
Old 12-08-2004 | 08:04 AM
David Williams

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Dec 8 2004, 11:08 AM
I say, if M-pack was available for 03 E39 540i, then they shouldn't have any problem importing and test-crash the new m-bumpers.? I don't think BMW will bother putting a new bumper for E39 on its last production year, if the gain in sales would not offset the costs of making it available.?

There is no reason fighting BMW on their stand.? If you really wanted the m-bumper, you can wait till the M5's parts becomes available, and hope it will fit your E60. Or get Bekker's bumper.? Or wait until E60's last years, I am sure BMW will offer it to spice up sales dip of the outgoing model.
[snapback]66533[/snapback]

I agree.
Old 12-08-2004 | 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Dec 8 2004, 11:08 AM
[quote name='David Williams' date='Dec 8 2004, 09:49 AM']No I'm not a lawyer (an engineer actually) but I work with enough to know how this song and dance works.

There is no reason fighting BMW on their stand. If you really wanted the m-bumper, you can wait till the M5's parts becomes available, and hope it will fit your E60. Or get Bekker's bumper. Or wait until E60's last years, I am sure BMW will offer it to spice up sales dip of the outgoing model.
[snapback]66533[/snapback]

I am fighting BMW NA, not BMW, but that is because BMW NA is going against everything the BMW AG stands for

but, my point is, as you alluded to, the bumper offered at Becker IS the OEM bumper, this is not the ///M5 bumper, so if BMW can sell it to a 3rd party (bekker), then BMW NA should offer it as well..
Old 12-16-2004 | 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

and don forget $1400 for dealer instal fee <_<
[snapback]66037[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey guys,

Just to add to this...
I had a MY2001 e39 530ia, and I wanted to add the M sport Package (front bumper and rear apron available in MY02/03 in North America as an option) and apparently there was a slew of other parts needing to go into/under the aprons to get proper fitment! in fact, a total of 48 other parts on top of the aprons!!! plus labour. I think it amounted to quoting nearly three times the price, CA$1600 for the kit (front and rear aprons) CA$1400 labour, add another CA$2000 for other parts and painting, ie, lower engine cover, air ducts, clips, M5 wheel liners, washer jet replacement, PDC re-wiring, buffer strips, exhaust overhaul, what looked like a $1600 kit - suddenly became a $5k project just to make the kit fit!... Things could be totally different for the E60, and I could be totally wrong... Im just putting in my two cents cause I dont think this is a just a bolt-on kit, and kinda preparing you guys for the worst.
Keep us posted though, the M-kit look amazing!

Cheers
Old 12-16-2004 | 09:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60beast' date='Dec 16 2004, 01:02 PM
and don forget $1400 for dealer instal fee <_<
[snapback]66037[/snapback]

Hey guys,

Just to add to this...
I had a MY2001 e39 530ia, and I wanted to add the M sport Package (front bumper and rear apron available in MY02/03 in North America as an option) and apparently there was a slew of other parts needing to go into/under the aprons to get proper fitment! in fact, a total of 48 other parts on top of the aprons!!!? ? plus labour. I think it amounted to quoting nearly three times the price, CA$1600 for the kit (front and rear aprons) CA$1400 labour, add another CA$2000 for other parts and painting, ie, lower engine cover, air ducts, clips, M5 wheel liners, washer jet replacement, PDC re-wiring, buffer strips, exhaust overhaul, what looked like a $1600 kit - suddenly became a $5k project just to make the kit fit!... Things could be totally different for the E60, and I could be totally wrong... Im just putting in my two cents cause I dont think this is a just a bolt-on kit, and kinda preparing you guys for the worst.
Keep us posted though, the M-kit look amazing!

Cheers
[snapback]69663[/snapback]

welcome e60beast

i hope to eventually succeed here, but im forced to wait very impatiently
Old 12-16-2004 | 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, e60beast !
Old 12-16-2004 | 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

If the m-bumper was costing this much to have, I would probably just get the Hamann one. Or maybe just leave it alone. After owning your car for a year, you'll probably loose any interest in modding it.
Old 12-16-2004 | 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Someone has already posted a BMW M sport retrofit instruction bulletin as a pdf file on this site which shows exactly what is involved. If you do a search you'll find it.

The M sport models in Europe include M door sills, M steering wheel and an M gear shift for cars with manual transmission as well as the other items already listed. I'm pretty sure someone in the UK put a scanned copy of the M brochure on here as well.
Old 12-16-2004 | 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:14 PM
If the m-bumper was costing this much to have, I would probably just get the Hamann one.? Or maybe just leave it alone.? After owning your car for a year, you'll probably loose any interest in modding it.
[snapback]69716[/snapback]

it is an expensive package, about $7,000 if we use a conversion of the euro option,

it makes the car, IMHO, and i plan to keep my E60 5-6years as it will be optioned out, and its not just bumpers, its a complete package from interior, to exterior, steeringwheel, rims, door sills , and color choices....
Old 12-16-2004 | 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 16 2004, 03:41 PM
.. it makes the car, IMHO, and i plan to keep my E60 5-6years as it will be optioned out,? and its not just bumpers, its a complete package from interior, to exterior, steeringwheel, rims, door sills , and color choices....
I'd just pay a lil' more and get the real deal, the new E60 M5. As you will soon realize that lotz of people will ask you "... Is that an M5?...."

You will be tired of that question in a matter of days.... trust me... I ought to know...

cheers,

beewang

Quick Reply: Update on 5 series M sport package.