E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Update on 5 series M sport package.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to BMW UK website the 5 series sport package includes...

-18" double spoke ///M alloy wheels

-///M aerodynamic body-styling that includes muscular front and rear bumpers, an enlarged air intake and flared side sills

-Lowered ///M Sports suspension that shares components with the new M5 and improves handling and gives the car greater agility

- Exclusive Aluminium Cube interior trim, anthracite headlining, contoured Flashlight Cloth/Nappa leather sports seats and an ///M Sports multi-function steering wheel

The engine size, top speed and 0-62 mph times are the same between the 545i SE and 545i Sport.

The price differences are ?42,350 for the 545i SE and ?44,500 for the 545i Sport.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' date='Dec 7 2004, 01:14 PM
Even if the M sport package were offered here in the US, I do not know that it would have all those features.? I had the M sport package on? my 2002? 530 (E39).? It did have more than the currrent E60 sport package (M wheel, door sill logos, etc.) but? I did not get any additional headliner or exterior color options.?? And, does the suspension on the M sport package differ from the "regular" sport package?
[snapback]66114[/snapback]

well if South Africa BMW offers the full package, why shouldnt BMW NA offer it ????? :bashwall:

...as for the specifications, there are a line of colors just for this package, as well as different interior options

it states the suspension is tuned by ///M , so I think that is different that the normal sport package susupension, plus realize that this package equates to over $7K US, so I would expect a full feature package for that price
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 7 2004, 01:49 PM
[quote name='robg' date='Dec 7 2004, 01:14 PM']Even if the M sport package were offered here in the US, I do not know that it would have all those features.? I had the M sport package on? my 2002? 530 (E39).? It did have more than the currrent E60 sport package (M wheel, door sill logos, etc.) but? I did not get any additional headliner or exterior color options.? And, does the suspension on the M sport package differ from the "regular" sport package?
[snapback]66114[/snapback]

well if South Africa BMW offers the full package, why shouldnt BMW NA offer it ????? :bashwall:

...as for the specifications, there are a line of colors just for this package, as well as different interior options

it states the suspension is tuned by ///M , so I think that is different that the normal sport package susupension, plus realize that this package equates to over $7K US, so I would expect a full feature package for that price
[snapback]66136[/snapback]

There are often difference betwen US and non US offerings. The other point I was trying to make is that the M sport packagae for non M5 cars is not the same as the M5 As the printed describptions of the packages hint at, the M sports package suspension only shares parts or is tuned by M. The M sports suspension is differnt than the tue M5 suspension.

My question is, how, if at all, does the M sports suspension differ from the (non-M) sports suspension?
[/quote]
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' date='Dec 7 2004, 02:04 PM
There are often difference betwen US and non US offerings.? The other point I was trying to make is that the M sport packagae for non M5 cars is not the same as the M5? As the printed describptions of the packages hint at, the M sports package suspension only shares parts or is? tuned by M.? The M sports suspension is differnt than the tue M5 suspension.?

My question is, how, if at all, does the M sports suspension differ from the (non-M) sports suspension?
The problem starts with the fact that there are differences between the US and non-US offerings as they should be the same

you are correct that it is NOT the same as the M5 suspension, its just tuned by M, but as I cannot get any detailed info in the US on this, I dont know the techinical differences (thanks again, BMW NA!) :bashwall:
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Will BMW void your warranty if you buy the Bekkers kit and have it installed?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 7 2004, 02:30 PM
[snapback]66158[/snapback]

I dont think theres anything that would affect your warranty on the aero kit, its OEM....
Old 12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:30 PM
[snapback]66158[/snapback]
its a bumper cover... what warranty can they logically void? Fog lights?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
David Williams

I suspect that if BMW USA were to offer the sport package that they would have to reperform the crash testing ($$$) with the different bumpers. This test is unique to the US and their thinking is probably that the limited sales (yeah, I know, I'd order one too) would not warrent offering it.

For all I know, the sport package bumpers may not have been designed to pass the US crash tests.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by David Williams' date='Dec 7 2004, 08:06 PM
I suspect that if BMW USA were to offer the sport package that they would have to reperform the crash testing ($$$) with the different bumpers.? This test is unique to the US and their thinking is probably that the limited sales (yeah, I know, I'd order one too) would not warrent offering it.

For all I know, the sport package bumpers may not have been designed to pass the US crash tests.
[snapback]66354[/snapback]

its the same bumper with a spoiler molded into the bottom, it has no legal ramifications as you can buy the parts and add them yourself, there is no additional testing needed

the E60 got a top rating by the IIHS, a best buy rating

are you a lawyer???
Old 12-08-2004, 06:49 AM
David Williams

No I'm not a lawyer (an engineer actually) but I work with enough to know how this song and dance works.

It is doesn't carry the same part number, it isn't the same part. If it isn't the same part, the testing done with one part doesn't apply to the other (unless there are provisions in the regulations to qualify the part by analysis to similar parts which means you are spending money on engineering calculations in place of testing).

Also, even though they look like the same part: are they the same material, the same thickness, do they behave the same way when they run into a crash barrier?

By the way, crash testing is just one of the hoops that manufacturers have to jump through to sell their cars in the US. It is not done to protect them legally; it's just needed to meet a regulation. And yes you can change the bumper out after you recieve the car. There is nothing illegal about that. You are not the manufacturer. If I were a dealer, I would think twice about swapping out the bumpers since it is considered a safety part.

If you were to have an accident and there was an injury that was the result of or had an increased severity due to your replaced bumper, you might could be held responsible for damages. A long shot I know, but lawyers have made lots of money on stupider things.

Quick Reply: Update on 5 series M sport package.