E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Universal remote

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='194922' date='Nov 7 2005, 06:13 PM
I finally got it working!!!

The critical thing was in the last step of the instructions. After you press the learn button on the drive, you need to press the Homelink button and hold down for a few secs. So, press for 2 sec, release, press again for 2 secs and release. And it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Awesome! How'd u figure out you had to hold it for 2 seconds?? NOW that you said it I remember that step...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='194925
I finally got it working!!!

The critical thing was in the last step of the instructions. After you press the learn button on the drive, you need to press the Homelink button and hold down for a few secs. So, press for 2 sec, release, press again for 2 secs and release. And it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Awesome! How'd u figure out you had to hold it for 2 seconds?? NOW that you said it I remember that step...
[/quote]

Well...that's what is says in the instructions...!!!

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the ?press/hold/release? sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by stream' post='194990' date='Nov 7 2005, 09:23 PM
Well...that's what is says in the instructions...!!!

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the ?press/hold/release? sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

Hahha I guess so... I've done it sooo long ago I vaguely remember that step. And like i said I didnt go re-read the instructions LOL maybe I should read before I post. Nah... whats the fun in that?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Members

I got it working!!! thanks guys..........................here is the instruction I got from Homelink

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the ?cycling? procedure noted in the ?View Canadian Instructions? section.

Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

* If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
* If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the ?learn? or ?smart? button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener?s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the ?learn? or ?smart? button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Members

Thanks everyone. I finally got mine to work too. I had just given up when I got my car a few months ago.

Just follow the directions above and it should work no problem.

I have a Craftsman garage opener with rolling code and I needed to push the red button on the unit and then go back to my car and push the trrained homelink button 3 times (2 seconds each push) for it to work
Old 12-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Still no luck here...have the Genie Intellicode and can't get it to porgram no matter what I try. Have tried the HomeLink instructions, OM, Genie instructions...this is one stubborn unit. I had difficulity with my F-150 but this 535 is much worse....
Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Members

It took me 5 minutes to figure it out, but once I got it, it only took me 30 seconds to program each garage door.

I hope this helps to those who havent figured it out.

1) holding 1&2 buttons down on the mirror for 20 seconds just erases the programed codes you only need to do this ONE time. So do this step if you want to start over.
2) press and hold the number on the mirror that you want to use for your garage door. I have two separate garage doors for my house so I programed the left garage door as number 1 and the right garage door as number 2. while you are holding the number down on the mirror simultaneously press and hold the same garage door button on your remote control holding the remote about 2 inches from the mirror. This activates the programing for the Mirror. The light on the mirror will begin to blink once it starts blinking have someone on a ladder under the garage door motor press the "learn" button. once that button is pressed, press again the number on the mirror that you want to use for that garage door. Hold that button down for a few seconds then release. The lights on the garage door motor will start blinking faster again press and hold the same button on the mirror for a couple seconds then release again, You can press and hold the same number on the mirror again for a couple seconds and the garage door will be programed. Thats it. Try to open the garage door pushing the mirror button.
3) If you want to program another garage door, repeat step number 2. using a different number on the mirror and the garage door remote controller.

Good Luck, Not sure if this is clear but it worked for me.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Still no luck ....I honestly think my universal remote (in the 535) must be malfunctioning....I have tried the Genie website instructions, the OM, the handheld Genie remote instructions, all the remedies included here and still can't get that darn thing working. I have programmed "rolling code" openers before (my last house had the Craftsman unit) and it was always a breeze. I tried so many different ways, my Genie Intellicode head unit eventually erased everything and I had to reprogram both hand-held remotes. They were very simple, but not my F-150 HomeLink will no longer work nor the BMW....I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over this....I'm going to try one more time and then I'll spring for airline tickets for whoever can come out and do this for me
Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='513369' date='Jan 3 2008, 04:59 PM
Still no luck ....I honestly think my universal remote (in the 535) must be malfunctioning....I have tried the Genie website instructions, the OM, the handheld Genie remote instructions, all the remedies included here and still can't get that darn thing working. I have programmed "rolling code" openers before (my last house had the Craftsman unit) and it was always a breeze. I tried so many different ways, my Genie Intellicode head unit eventually erased everything and I had to reprogram both hand-held remotes. They were very simple, but not my F-150 HomeLink will no longer work nor the BMW....I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over this....I'm going to try one more time and then I'll spring for airline tickets for whoever can come out and do this for me
Let me check my schedule and I'll get back to you...
Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='513409' date='Jan 3 2008, 03:32 PM
Let me check my schedule and I'll get back to you...

Watch out what you wish for Rudy...I may just take you up ont that offer....I'm going to try again tonight!

Quick Reply: Universal remote