E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Universal remote

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I have tried and tried quite a few times to program the universal remote (three buttons below the rear view mirror) to work with my Genie Intellicode garage door opener. Followed the instructions as is. And it still doesn't work

My garage door opener is the kind that generates random codes (and not alternating codes as the manual describes). Anybody else been able to get this to work??
Old 11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I had the alternating code genie and followed these instructions...

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e60/4888861-1.html
Old 11-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Yes. Follow the instructions in the owners manual very carefully--you'll need to put a ladder next to the opener unit in you garage, to be able to press the red button at the appropriate time, then go back to your car and follow the instructions.

Here are instructions:
http://www.homelink.com/training/train.taf?do=4
Old 11-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I had a hell of a time too... You have to follow the instructions on the website very carefully and it does work. I have a external driveway gate that uses a Genie remote receiver and the red button is INSIDE had to like take apart the gate motor to get to that... such a pain. The little red button is the secret... it cant be programmed like how you normally add an extra remote by the pad.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Guys:

I did all of that. Followed the instructions in the manual to the letter (incl pressing the red button on the drive unit). Here are the exact steps i did:

1. Reset the Homelink buttons by pressing and holding the outer ones for about 20 secs (the LED blinks rapidly when reset)
2. Held my hand-held remote within 2 inches of the homelink buttons and pressed button 1 and hand held transmitter simultaneously till the LED starts blinking rapidly. Then release both.
3. Pressed the red button on the drive unit of the garage door opener. (yes, did the ladder thing; I now have 30 secs....)
4. Pressed the homelink button (one I have been trying to program - button 1) three times.

This is exactly according to the instructions in the manual. I don't see what I am doing wrong. When I try to press the homelink button, the LED blinks rapidly and the remains stedy for a few secs. Again, this according the manual, means that I have an alternating code transmitter.

Just to make sure for those who have got this to work with the Genie brand openers... I have the type that uses a different code each time I use it (and hence is not alternating code by definition). Exact name is Genie Intellicode.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I hear ya, but I went through this same process w/ mine. It was a Genie with rolling codes, though I'm in Houston and the garage door opener has been thrown out with the rest of the stuff from my house in New Orleans so I can't quote the exact model. I tried following the BMW manual multiple times and could not get it to work. Tried the steps in the linked thread from Roadfly (I know, I know...) and it worked the first time. The Homelink in the mirror does work w/ the roling codes.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

My Genie like Intellicode system worked first time for me. I used the Door Opener instruction manual which covered this. I had gone thru it just prior to the 6er arrival when my wifes Audi was in for maintenance and they had disconnected the battery. So I knew right where to look and worked well. I will check those when I get home tonight and see if there is any difference in the steps.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

It took me a long time to get it to work the first time.
Once I get it to work, it's very simple to set it up.

JStraw: I am using the same instruction you wrote, and it works for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Try reading this.

http://www.geniecompany.com/geniecompany.a...348#programming

P.S. I have not spent the time reading that link today. I read it some time ago and it worked for my garage door openner.

heres the original thread where I dug it up from.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=100152
Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributors

I finally got it working!!!

The critical thing was in the last step of the instructions. After you press the learn button on the drive, you need to press the Homelink button and hold down for a few secs. So, press for 2 sec, release, press again for 2 secs and release. And it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: Universal remote