E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Universal headrest DVD players?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I've never posted on this forum, but I have found a lot of useful information on this site. Kudos to all of the people who contribute their wisdom, knowledge, patience and time to this forum. With all the prerequisite butt kissing out of the way....

I've seen several DIY's on installing headrest monitors in stock headrests, but has anyone tried any of the universal type headrest systems with built in dvd players (you know the kind you find on ebay, amazon, etc.)? If so, what brand? How was the color matched? What has been your experience with quality, customer service, ease of install, etc.?

I have looked into the invision headrests, but they only supply dealers. I refuse to pay someone else to do the install, since I am fully capable of doing it on my own. Has anyone heard of the Baton replacement headrest systems? They seem pretty cool as you can sort of hide the screen in the headrest by flipping it around. The only thing is, I can only find UK websites that offer them. They claim to support various region codes, but I would have thought I could find info on this & other websites. They also offer an a/v input, which would be my primary source of video via my ipods with a/v cables. Here is a link to a website offering them baton headrest dvd

I don't know if that link will work. I'm a noob in that regard.

The Batons seem relatively expensive compared to other universal type dvd headrest units, but I like the "stow away" feature & the fact that they claim to match BMW's colors.

COMPATIBILITY IS MY MAJOR CONCERN in regards to universal, Baton, Invision. As far as cutting my own headrests, I would be okay with that. That's just not what I want to do. I just don't want to order one of these systems only to find out it looks stupid, doesn't fit, or is way overpriced for the features.

I guess the answers I want would pertain to ALL universal headrest dvd players, invision replacements, or if I should break out the dremel and hack away at the Dakota leather. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, my e60 is a 2004 with beige Dakota leather interior. The seats and headrests (head restraints, really) are motorized with memory functions, however I'm not sure if they are comfort seats.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Thanks for all the help in my previous endeavors and I hope to get some help in this one.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

I have scrrens fitte din my headrests I will post up pics, you can see nay worse when you adjust the headrest as the installer drilled through the chrome arm and ran the wire through them. I'll get some pics tonight
Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Members

I did something a little bit different. I did a "center armrest" DVD. I'll post pictures in the next few hours. This was a really simple installation, as this uses FM for sound modulation.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Members

I'm not concerned about sound through the car's speakers, because I would prefer the little ones used headphones. The armrest is a good suggestion but not an option for me. I gotta have two screens on opposite sides.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I've got some OEM headrests for sale with the cut outs and hollow chrome stands for sale.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='772370' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:27 AM
I've got some OEM headrests for sale with the cut outs and hollow chrome stands for sale.

What color? How much? What screens were the cutout for?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='772370' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:27 AM
Nevermind looks like they're grey
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

http://www.invisionindustries.com/default.aspx

My dealership installs this particluar brand headrest monitor, I believe they replace the headrest rather then cutting the existing.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='772559' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.invisionindustries.com/default.aspx

My dealership installs this particluar brand headrest monitor, I believe they replace the headrest rather then cutting the existing.
I just don't see the point of shelling out 3 grand for the dealer to install the invision headrest units, when I can just as easily put a cheaper system in myself.

It's not really that I'm a cheap azz, but I would be less prone to kill my beautiful rambunctious children (i'm kidding, of course) if anything should happen to my screens.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by blkspic' post='772400' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:18 PM
Nevermind looks like they're grey

They were initially beige and I still have the beige covers as well. They were cut to take the 7" screens.

Quick Reply: Universal headrest DVD players?